lights on warning buzzer - Allie
Well, I finally bought my Y-reg Yaris and I love it except for one thing - the 'lights on' buzzer doesn't work and I'm really forgetful! I bought it a week ago but I have only just realised that this is a problem because I've only been out and about in the daytime until now...

Do you think that this would be a simple thing to fix? I had a deleted inspection beforehand too - not impressed...

Please say its a simple thing to sort!

Allie

{The inspection companies name has been removed from this thread as you are making an allegation against them. Whether that allegation is true or not, I have no idea, but to prevent possible naming and shaming it's been removed nevertheless - DD}
Doesn't matter! Just phoned Toyota dealer and they said most Yaris don't have this function (even though it is in the manual...) and therefore its not really surprising that it doesn't beep!

I find this really strange. My previous car was a basic 106 '93 reg and this had a lights on warning buzzer and this is a Y-reg Yaris GLS...

Allie
lights on warning buzzer - Altea Ego
well at least the deleted inspection was Correct! :)

Fit one yourself - really easy

Any car accesory shop will have one, and will know a guy who will wire it in for a tenner
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
lights on warning buzzer - Galaxy
Most people who post on here are desperate to find ways of switching the "lights on buzzer" off because it really annoys them.

Better count yourself lucky!
you are joking? lights on buzzer has saved my bacon plenty of times

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
lights on warning buzzer - henry k
you are joking? lights on buzzer has saved my bacon plenty
of times

I have such a buzzer on my Mondeo but I sometimes wish I had two.
Why? It is too easy to switch the parking lights on with ones knee and of course no reminder when exiting.
lights on warning buzzer - Dynamic Dave
Most people who post on here are desperate to find ways of switching the "lights on buzzer" off because it really annoys them.

The one on my Vectra is more of a pleasant chime, than an annoying buzzer.
lights on warning buzzer - bell boy
splice a maplin buzzer (£3.99) into the door open interior lights on circuit.........job done you will hear the audible to remind you that your main lights might be on every time you open the door
Nah dont work. If it buzzes *every* time you open the door, you just ignore it in the end
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
works for me and yes it is annoying
Me again! I wasn't convinced that my car shouldn't have the buzzer as the dealer I phoned didn't take the model or year or anything and to be honest sounded like he couldn't be bothered so I phoned a different dealer to see if there was anywhere online where I could get the full spec.

He said not on the Toyota site but suggested Parkers, he also checked the GS version (also Y-reg) on the forecourt and this had it! I then checked Parkers and according to their spec list it should have it! I then phoned Toyota UK who took the reg and they also said it should have the buzzer...

I have therefore e-mailed a complaint to the people who inspected it but they tried to get out of it on the phone saying that this would only have been included in the more expensive 166 point check (mine was 133 point) but the only differences that they list on their site between the two checks for electrics/controls are air con/mirrors/radio/fan and I don't see how it would fall into any of these categories and controls/instruments/switches are covered by both...

I feel like Columbo!

Allie
lights on warning buzzer - Adam {P}
Just one more thing...
LOL!
lights on warning buzzer - Xileno {P}
Renault - lights turn off when you open the door (assuming the engine's off)
lights on warning buzzer - Chris M
That's probably just a wiring fault ;-)

Chris M
It is because it never happened on any of mine
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
No it isn't a fault. None of our previous Renaults did this but my current one does but you have to have the lights on 'auto' setting.
It was quite strange though when I first picked it up. It was a horrid autumn day and the salesman got the car out the front of the showroom and set the wipers and lights on. Got back home turned engine off and couldn't work out how to turn the lights off. The light switch was in the 'off' position. Turning it on and off made no difference. Cursing at pesky french electrics I got out of the car to phone the garage, then of course I realised what had happened.

If all else fails, RTFM.

lights on warning buzzer - BazzaBear {P}
On Italian cars the lights turn off with the ignition, so it's impossible to accidentally leave them on, but you don't have to put up with an annoying buzzer.
In order to leave parking lights on, you just push a little button by the ignition, and turn the key one extra section. Such an obvious answer to the problem, I don't know why all manufacturers haven't adapted it.
lights on warning buzzer - henry k
On Italian cars the lights turn off with the ignition, so it's impossible to accidentally leave them on, but you don't have to put up with an annoying buzzer.
In order to leave parking lights on, you just push a
little button by the ignition, and turn the key one extra section. Such an obvious answer to the problem,

>>
>>
I don't know why all manufacturers haven't adapted it.
>>
>>
Thank goodness others have not copied this idea.
I do not want my lights turned off. I want to choose when I want the car left without lights.

I had this system on a UNO along with the other bright idea of leaving the instument lights on when I pushed that little button.
unfortunately ive had lots of mk1 puntos with this sidelight by ignition switch turning other way fiasco and unfortunatey a lot of them dont work,ive stripped them down and tryed everything other than replacing with new but they refuse to work after a while.
Interestingly it wont fail the mot if you cant get the sidelights to work,after a phone call to seimens and then the local vosa man with big hat he said give it a pass certificate,theres one for the pub on a saturday night.
Update - got a letter from the vehicle inspection company this morning regarding the complaint I e-mailed yesterday. They said that complaints must be made within 10 days of the date of the inspection (the inspection was 14 days ago). I had only picked the car up 7 days ago and the problem had not become apparent because I rarely drive of a night (young child in bed so I'm in after 7pm and its still light!).

So basically, despite paying a fortune for the inspection, I should then get someone else to check it once I have it home to make sure that that the engineer didn't miss anything...

To be honest, I think that this is disgusting when added to the number of disclaimers in their reports (think along the lines of 'can't confirm dash controls in working order as sunlight was shining on them...')

If this had ended up being a really expensive fault I would have tried challenging it under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 but as it will only cost £9.75 vat I can't be bothered...

Allie

lights on warning buzzer - Adam {P}
It really annoys me when they try and worm their way out of it. As you say, at least it wasn't something serious but that's not the point. If it was me, I'd send a letter of complaint but then forget about it.

Actually, if it were me, I'd rant and moan about sending a letter but 10 minutes later I'd forget all about it and not bother!

Just think yourself lucky you don't need to deal with a Ford dealer in a town very close to me!