Just bought a car with money owing on it - phil_skem
i have just purchased a car off someone who have just moved abroad. the car is an X reg mondeo with 46,000 miles on it. yet i have just found out there is still £5000 still owed on it. gutted!!!!! after paying £2500 for it.

please help what can i do?

{Subject header amended to something less vague than "please help" - DD}
Please help - jc2
Negotiate with the person owed the £5,000.and aim the police at the person who sold you it.
Please help - phil_skem
i no longer have an address anymore for him. what will the outcome of this fiasco goin to be. will i loose the car will i end up payin the finance?
Please help - L'escargot
will i loose
the car will i end up payin the finance?

You might lose the car but I can't see that you could possibly be liable for the £5000. See a solicitor asap.
--
L\'escargot.
Please help - L'escargot
Negotiate with the person owed the £5,000.and aim the police at
the person who sold you it.

I could be wrong, but I can't see a finance company accepting a small proportion of £5000 in settlement. And if the finance company would only accept a sum in excess of £2500 it would be better for phil to cut his losses and start again.

I think a consultation with a solicitor is the first step.
--
L\'escargot.
Please help - bell boy
i know that the hpi has had a bit of flack on here in the last few days but why o why did you give £2500 for a vehicle without doing a basic finance check.
Please help - phil_skem
thought i was gettin a bargain! how wrong was i!
Please help - L'escargot
thought i was gettin a bargain! how wrong was i!

We all make mistakes from time to time, and it's easy to be wise after the event. And it's never nice to have to learn the hard way. Just concentrate on coming out of this as cheaply as possible, and make sure you don't throw good money after bad. Solicitor, pronto.
--
L\'escargot.
Please help - T Lucas
As far as i'm aware title passes to you if you have really bought it in 'good faith' and have nothing to do with the motor trade and as such should have known better.Very different if you are a motor trader.
Best to keep the car and keep quite,finance co will chase your friend and then decide what to do if they cannot trace him.
Finance companies write many thousands of pounds off because of this.
Please help - Simon
I agrre with T Lucas as my understanding is that if you as a private person bought the car and had no knowledge of finance still being owed on the car then you have indeed got 'good title' to the car and therefore the finance company cannot legally take it off you. They may try bully boy scare tactics, but I am fairly confident in saying that the law is on your side on this one.
Please help - bell boy
if op is going to take this stance then first thing he needs to wipe from his mind is the "i thought it was cheap"
the next thing how does he know there is finance outstanding?
Most insurance companies now put these situations through the court system and then pass them to debt collection agencies who will try and get the car back and send it to auction with the balance still owing to finance company.
i suggest also OP you spend £100 with a good solicitor if you are whiter than white and see what he can do legally for you .

GOOD LUCK.......
Please help - Zippy123
Not my understanding. If the car belonged to the finance co (hire purchase) then the seller had no right to sell it. The finance company can collect it when ever they want if they are not paid, though they do have to find it.
Just bought a car with money owing on it - hartian
phil skem

check the trading standards website. I think there was some useful info there the last time I checked! You can always give you local trading standards a ring and they should be able to provide you some free advice in the first place.

check this website
www.lostmyshirt.co.uk/finance.htm

I too have been a victim of a dishonest seller.....
Just bought a car with money owing on it - Pugugly {P}
Hi,
Doing nothing is not an option. If so minded the finance company will trace you through DVLA. Get sound legal advice NOW. If you don't want to line the pocket of a brief go to the CAB. Don't delay.
Just bought a car with money owing on it - Simon
Here's an extract from the trading standards website:

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives ?good title? to the innocent private purchaser of a car which later turns out to be subject to a claim by a finance company because of a previous, unpaid hire-purchase agreement. This means that the finance company is not entitled to repossess the car from you. Remember, this does not apply to cars which have been stolen, or cars that were subject to a lease or hire agreement.

Source: www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?fi...t
Just bought a car with money owing on it - T Lucas
Sounds about right,and goes on far more often than you might think.There are many naughty people out there.
Just bought a car with money owing on it - Craig_1969
If you paid less than market value you could be on a sticky wicket, IIRC you have to be seen to be the victim here and not to have taken advantage of a "givaway" car.
Just bought a car with money owing on it - T Lucas
If you have a receipt from the vendor,my money says you are in the clear,unless you have been economical with the truth.