Cost for evaporator for a/c in Vectra? - sharonbetty
How much should I be paying for a new evaporator for air conditiioning system in Vectra SRI? ie. how much for the part and how many hours labour to fit?

this will be the 7th time the car has been to the same garage - it has already cost getting in for £300 just for them to finally work out what is going on! Any advice much appreciated!
Cost for evaporator for a/c in Vectra? - Dave N
I believe the part is about £100. As far as labour goes, I think it's about 1.7 hours, as long as they follow the manufacturers instructions, as it requires cutting into the heater box to remove it. This saves removing the whole heater box which as a dash out job. They cut a hole in theplastic, keep the part they cut out, then glue it back in place again once the evaporator is replaced. Sounds a bodge, I know, but that's how they do it.
Cost for evaporator for a/c in Vectra? - elekie&a/c doctor
Evaporator failure on a Vectra is not very common.Origially a replacement unit would require a complete dash and heater box strip down- probably a day or so labour.Parts I would think £200-£300.However if the evap is definitely leaking,then I think that GM do a repair evap that comes in 2 pieces that does not require a full dash strip.
Cost for evaporator for a/c in Vectra? - sharonbetty
Thanks for the replies so far.

Some further details incase it helps...

It's a Z22se engine (SRi 150).

During the visit which resulted in the garage telling me that it was the evaporator, they definitely removed the lower dash/console - the bit with the gearlever, handbrake etc because they haven't put it back together properly (one screw out). However I'm sure they didn't take out the top bit of the dash.

Also they've messed the fan/heater around because the air flow is much reduced on the various fan settings although the fan sounds as if it's spinning as hard as ever.

I shall be ensuring that the garage (a Vauxhall dealer) rectify these "extras".

Questions: is it possible that in trying to sort the air-con out they've effectively caused more problems - e.g. due to pressure testing or similar?

I'm being told that the evaporator is £300 plus £300+ to fit it; which they're not charging due to having already charged me to "fix" the leak previously (re-gas, then new air-con pipe). Is £300 reasonable for the part?