small diesels - actual fuel consumption - joe mack
Not wanting to take manufacturers figures at face value, I was was wondering what actual fuel consumption the new small 1.3/1.4/1.5 diesels are returning, also under what driving conditions. I'm thinking of Yaris, C2, Micra, Clio, etc, etc. (I note some comments re. Clio in the forum at the moment.) Thanks.

Joe
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - daveyjp
My father has a Fiesta 1.4 TDCi as a driving school car. He is achieving mid to high 40s when teaching.
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - 659FBE
Peugeot 106 diesel with TUD 5 1.5 litre IDI engine; 65 mpg average with mixed town and rural driving (used for 2 long school runs). At 115k it has earned its keep and still goes well with surprisingly good performance.

small diesels - actual fuel consumption - Wally Zebon
I drive an '06 Clio Dynamique-S 1.5DCi (86BHP version) and I've been getting 50mpg. Only had it a month, but it doesn't go up or down much at all.

I drive 20 miles a day half and half A-roads/town
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - blue_haddock
I once ran a yaris 1.4 D4D for about 2 months, never did a proper brim to brim fuel economy but the rolling average was usually around 55.

That was a brnad new car driven fairly hard on mainly good A Roads and dual carriageway.
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - Xileno {P}
Diesels need a good 10K to loosen up. Mine went from 48mpg to 55mpg in a bigger heavier Megane. Clio should nudge 60mpg once bedded in.
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - PhilW
Daughter reckons she gets 55mpg from her Clio 80(ish)BHP - commutes N London to Cambridge via M11 - car has done about 30k. Son gets about same from his C2 - he says a low of 52 mpg and a high of 58 (v. short commute - about 4 miles, weekend trips longer). car has done about 15k. Both of them drive "rather enthusiastically" in my view!
--
Phil
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - alan kearn
2002 Polo 1.4 tdi pd 55mpg semi rural, 65/68 motorway
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - L'escargot
Official figure are, well, official figures. I read somewhere that realistically you can knock 10-15% off to allow for the effect of cold weather etc etc. Figures claimed by owners will inevitably depend on their driving habits and are often calculated using dubious data, e.g. single journeys, single tankfuls etc. I personally expect to (and do) get a better consumption (calculated a month at a time) then the official "combined" figure but this is more than likely down to the fact that the majority of my motoring is long journeys.
--
L\'escargot.
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - malteser
If the on-board computer is to be believed - well is it ?? - our Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi is acheving 5.5 litres per 100 km and has shown this for at least the last 12 months of mixed driving. We are off to the UK next Sunday (Costa del Sol to East Midlands via Madrid, Le Mans & Dunkirk) This should give us, allowing for some milage in the UK around 5000 km in six weeks. It will be interesting to see what many km on a long haul drive will give us.
By the way, diesel here has crept up to just under 1 euro a litre for "cooking" stuff and 1.04? for Shell VPower. We think that's horrendous, but expect to be shattered, apalled & amazed by French & UK prices!

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - Dude - {P}
MPG figures will depend largely on the local terrain, if you live in the flat areas of the Eastern counties, the sky is the limit, but I run a 2 litre turbo diesel (320dSE)in the Westcountry, where there are plenty of hills and narrow roads, and I struggle to get much over 35 mpg, - a figure I was able to match and exceed with my previous 2 litre petrol motor (SRi Cavalier). When I do take an extended motorway trip however, that is where diesel power comes into its own, and 55 mpg is achievable.
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - L'escargot
our Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi is acheving 5.5 litres
per 100 km ......

What's that in real money? ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - Falkirk Bairn
What's that in real money? ;-)

52mpg give or take
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - madf
SWMBO's 13 year 106 diesel (1.4) average journey length 2 miles. Measured over its lifespan 54mpg.

Long runs 60+
madf
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - stevied
Fabia vRS: 50-55 on a long run at steady 75-80, 40-45 on short journeys. Not bad for the performance!
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - sb01372
Have had a 2000X VW Polo 1.4 TDi from new.
Now over 100K.
Mostly motorway 60-65 on the M25 and ignoring the low fuel light I would not fill up until the trip showed over 600 miles since last fill. Usually at about 630 and being brave sometimes at 650 miles. When my exhaust was on the way out, for some reason, I nearly got to 700 miles before my bottle went.
45ltr tank ?
I wanted a diesel that did 60mpg (1.4TDi) not 50mpg (1.9TDi)

For the winter get heated seats spent most of my journey to work with gloves and woolly hat on as the car took ages to heat up.
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - Brooklands
I've got a Yaris 1.4 D4D, which is just coming up to 3 years old and 65,000 miles. The vast majority of the milage is commuting to/from work on country roads (about a 76 mile round trip), and its averaged just over 70mpg over that distance.

Best is about 75 mpg in the summer, and worst is around 68mpg on long motoway journeys in the winter

I used to have an 'L' reg Peugeot 306 turbo diesel (XRDT) which averaged just over 50mpg measured over about 30,000 miles (I lost the records for the first 100,000 miles :-( )

Brooklands

Oh and almost all on supermarket diesel ;-)
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - blue_haddock
I could well believe those figures Brooklands - the one i was driving was brand new and not yet run in so i suppose with a few miles on the clock it would loosen up and give even more to the gallon
small diesels - actual fuel consumption - nozmeister
Not sure if the car is classed as small but the engine can be found in a few cars. I've a 110PS Golf TDI (not a PD) and it's averaged about 54MPG over 6.5 yrs and 65000 miles and it's not treated gently. I would struggle to get under 45MPG no matter what I do.

My personal record on a 40-50 mph speed limit around the M25 is 74MPG.

toodlepip