Clio dci 65 - BobbyG
Has anyone got any experience of these? Looking to get rid of my Saxo diesel and the sensible replacement would be the Clio (used, poss 1-2 years old), although I admit I have visited 2 Skoda dealers looking at the Fabia vrS!!

My Saxo does everything I need it to, very economical, but very slow and boring! The Clio dci 65 Dynamique has alloys, A/C and all the toys I need but has a 0-60 time of 15 secs which makes me think it won't feel any nippier than my Saxo.

Is this the case or is "in-gear" acceleration better? I have hunted for the dci80 but none available in a used Clio.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.
Clio dci 65 - bimmer-driver
Have driven this engine many times in the Kangoo, and it will feel loads faster than the Saxo. You get the little woosh when the turbo kicks in about 1800 rpm and then they scoot off the line and while its not very fast it feels it.
Only thing to check are the alternator bearings which we've found go after 65000 miles. At least they did on three of ours.
Clio dci 65 - Xileno {P}
Get the 100bhp model, it really shines.
Save up for Clio 3 rather than the old model. You will be surprised how much better built it is.
Clio dci 65 - BobbyG
Xileno, trouble is I can't source the 80, 85 or 100 model anywhere!

Had the new Clio as a courtesy car and liked it, it felt a lot bigger and sturdier. But when you start talking those prices, you are also in Fabia vrS territory....

Clio dci 65 - Adam {P}
There are loads within 15 miles of my house Bobby.

Time it with the next BR meet and come along ;-)
Clio dci 65 - Altea Ego
why the clio? if you want small and fun and oil burning it has to be the Ibiza tdi 130
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Clio dci 65 - Adam {P}
My mate had a TDi 130 Sport for a few months in that really bright yellow. Very quick, the dials look cool in red and it felt pretty solid. But:

* On the way home from buying it, the handbrake shroud came away in his hand when applying the handbrake.

* The dash creaked a little (53 plate car)

* The keys basically were worn to hell (less than 30,000 miles on it)

* I've made cardboard radios when I was a kid with more features than the one that was in

* The passenger seat locked in the back position so you couldn't get anyone in the back from that side

* The passenger seat sometimes locked so you couldn't move it back or forward for legroom

Despite all this though, it was a very economical and very quick car. Easily showed mine a clean pair of heels every time he floored it.
Clio dci 65 - Xileno {P}
I'm not a huge fan of the Ibiza 130, the one I drove a while back felt very heavy up front, the result no doubt of shoe horning a big diesel in a small car. In a straight line it was fantastic, through the bends less good IMHO. I would imagine the Polo would be the same.

The 1.5 dCi is a great engine, very refined and linear in its power delivery. It suits the Clio perfectly being a smaller unit. And much nicer than the VAG three cylinder affair. But to me, the 100bhp (or 106bhp) is well worth hunting out. This is the same engine fitted to my Megane and is proving very reliable so far.
Clio dci 65 - BobbyG
Adam, I would time it with your next Backroom Meet but be scared in case diesel was extinct by the time it was organised :) Only joking Mate!

TVM, thought about the Ibiza but my car needs to have 5 doors and they are few and far between in that style. Been on Autotrader and Seat website and any seem to be dearer than 10k (the price I have in my head for getting a Fabia vrS) or just below it.

So I am thinking of going the whole hog and spending the 10k on the Fabia but i know I shouldn't, it can't be justified etc but thats whats actually adding to the appeal!

My friendly Renault dealer who I have bought my last 5 cars off, can source me a Clio Dynamique 05 plate, 1.5dci with A/C for £7500 (see Renaulttogo.co.uk). My Head says that is the practical solution but hey, the Fabia in red looks stunning.

On that note, have read all the threads on here about Fabias, are they really that good (have also read Briskoda though not that keen on the website layout). Was there not problems with the VW PD130 engines at one point?

The ironic thing is that whatever car I get, I might only be keeping it for a year as SWMBO is still adamant she is getting a Beetle next year for her 40th!
Clio dci 65 - AndyT
The Clio 65 will be a lot faster than a Saxo diesel, what with an extra whole 7bhp and 48lb-ft.

For in-gear acceleration, you're talking about 6.5sec 30-50mph in 4th, and 11sec 50-70mph in 5th. Try and match those figs in your Saxo!

I was also averaging 65mpg in mine over 3 years.

Only downsides were creaks and buzzes from trim, and performance tail-off when approaching 70-80 odd mph...
Clio dci 65 - BobbyG
Andy, thanks, that was the sort of info I was looking for. I honestly have no idea about my Saxos figures or where to get them?
Clio dci 65 - andymc {P}
I had one of these a few years back. I liked it at first, it was nippier than the Punto 1.2 it replaced and it had a lot more standard kit, plus it handled like a rollerskate and was incredibly economical. However the remote locking rarely worked first time and the rattles from the sunroof (right beside my ear!) drove me insane. The sunroof also meant that the ceiling was too low for comfort - journies longer than half an hour often caused a stiff neck. The seat/steering wheel setup just didn't suit my back and I eventually got rid of it after about a year and a half. Fabia, Yaris, Fiesta or Ibiza would all be preferable to me (only one of those I haven't driven is a Fiesta). The Fabia was a particularly nice car to be in for a supermini at the time, I found the Yaris too small and the Ibiza felt a bit tinny.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Clio dci 65 - BobbyG
Andy, I know exactly where you are coming from. I test drove a 1.6 Clio Initiale today with all the toys, climate xenons etc, but I had to say to the salesman that there was no way I could buy it because the sunroof was rattling and creaking something awful. Every bend I went round, every bump in the road!

Th Clio dci 65 that I could possibly get does not have a sunroof and after today, I think that would be a pre-requisite!
Clio dci 65 - Adam {P}
Well you know who your friends are ;-)
Clio dci 65 - cheddar
Wifes Clio 1.6 sunroof rattles when tilted though is fine when closed or open.

Re the Clio DCi, a very refined small diesel though the 65 is likely to be rather leisurely, I reckon 80 or 100 would be better though how about chipping the 65? There may be limitations, for instance IIRC the 80 and 100 have a variable vane turbo though I am not sure about the 65.

Otherwise a 1.4 16v will give IRO 40 - 45 mpg.
Clio dci 65 - Altea Ego
All clios - sun roof rattles - its a fact of life.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Clio dci 65 - 02skn
Owned our 65bhp for 4 years. Never missed a beat. Yes the sunroof rattles but it is nippy to drive, excellent fuel economy and cheap to service. If you feel you are missing a bit of power you can chip this engine to 80bhp for about £200.
Clio dci 65 - Xileno {P}
If you are going to sell this new car in 12 months time, then it makes more sense to keep the Saxo going for another year, spending some money where necessary. Your depreciation on the new car over the intervening 12 months will be far greater than repair costs to the Saxo.
Clio dci 65 - BobbyG
Xileno, I know exactly what you are saying. It doesn't make sense to change cars now but I have been "Mr Sensible" for last 4 years with the Saxo, driving up to 20,000 miles a year in it so that my fuel costs were kept as low as possible, putting up with the cramped seating position, all the rattles and the 1* crash rating (as well as planning any overtaking manoeuvres a week in advance). But sometimes I wonder if there is more to life than being sensible!

I test drove a 3 door dci65 today and yes the sunroof rattled but only mildly. However, the 5 door that he can get for me does have a sunroof when I thought it didn't. Was pleasantly surprised with the 65 engine, as with most diesels it does nothing in first gear but felt quite strong pulling through the gears thereafter. If I did get it though I think I would go down the tuning road and get it up to 80.

After the Renault garage, I went to the Skoda garage. They have 2 used Fabia vrs with another coming in at the weekend.

Red Jun 04 33K miles £9995
Black Sept 03 11K miles £9995
Black Apr 04 16K miles £10195

Now the Clio would be £7500, the Fabia salesman said they would knock a few hundred off for no part exchange so maybe only talking 2k of a difference between the Clio and the Fabia. Going to go back later in the week for a test drive.

But what a difference the Skoda garage was. It was just a small, possibly family business, no high pressure sales (in fact only one guy wearing an open necked shirt). Very relaxed, told me everything I wanted to know, was willing to open late if that was the only time I could get in for a test drive. If I get a Fabia, I will buy it from him!

Now I think the bright red looks brilliant and will polish up really well. However, for the same money am I better going for the newer car (Red) or the lower mileage (black)?

Of course I might still end up keeping the Saxo but starting to doubt it.....

Incidentally, I ran a quote for insurance for the Fabia and it came out cheaper than I am paying for the Saxo!!
Clio dci 65 - Pugugly {P}
I would go for the Skoda on build quality alone. Dearest mama has one on a Y plate only problem was the power steering light coming on, fixed under warranty, superb dealership, treats her better than my BMW dealer treats me. Collects the car from her and drops it off.
Clio dci 65 - Xileno {P}
20K pa in a Saxo - I see your point now.

Have you thought about the Modus? Same dCi engines available but better built than Clio 2. Hasn't been selling too well, so good deals out there may be?
Clio dci 65 - BobbyG
Yeah thought of the Modus but I already have the Scenic and SWMBO (believe it or not) has told me I am not getting another sensible mummy car!

The dealer told me today, that regarding the Modus, they don't sell any brand new, they are either second hand or direct from Renault on Renaulttogo.