Too much oil!? - Roo

I had the Golf serviced three weeks ago so was a bit alarmed to see a pool of oil on the garage floor this morning. The manual says the oil should be somewhere in the dimpled area of the dipstick. The level was about one inch higher than the maximum level. The oil seems to be leaking through the seal (Is that what you call a gasket- near the bit where you pour in the oil!) . Is this the result of over filling the oil? The manual says that too much oil will cause damage to the Cat. Is this true? And will I be able to drive my 20 miles per day too and from work without causing any damage until next weekend when I can take it in to the garage (bracket for the exhaust needs replaced anyway).

Thanks for the advice.

Andrew
Re: Too much oil!? - Tom Shaw
If the oil level shows one inch higher than max you need to drain some out NOW. It will @!#$ the cat fairly quickly, if it has not already done so. I would also pay a visit to the garage who carried out the service and see what they say about the matter, though I bet they will insist that you must have topped it up yourself in the meantime.
Re: Too much oil!? - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Roo,

High oil level can certainly cause oil leaks, due to excessive crankcase pressure, which can also cause oil to be forced up past the rings and thus on into the Cat, which can then be easilly damaged. You really should try to get this attended to ASAP - a visit to any garage (although clearly the one that did the service should save you the cost of having someone else do it) should not cost you too much time on the way home from work tomorrow.

Regards, Adam
Re: Too much oil!? - Roo
Thanks for the advice guys, you spurred me on to get the matter seen to this morning by my friendly local garage- dont know why I didn't get them to service the car in the first place!
Cheers
Andrew