Car Tax con - midlifecrisis
I've just received my tax renewal for my Vectra 2.2 direct Sri, Nov 04 reg. It is showing a CO2 rate of 187 g/km which conviniently just pushes it into band f, £190/year.

I checked my handbook/What car magazine/Parkers etc, who all show 185g/km, which is band E, £160/year.

I tried to call Vauxhall helpline and got an utterly clueless Indian woman, who said my car didn't exist. She didn't even know what an SRi was!!

Can anyone give me official figures or a contact number I can ring to get an official confirmation of the CO2 figures.

The DVLA site just repeats what's on the renewal form
Car Tax con - Altea Ego
its based on what the smmt publish - as per company car tax
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Car Tax con - Altea Ego
www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
That site shows 185. How do I challenge the DVLA
Car Tax con - Armitage Shanks {p}
I guess that the figures you are being directed to are for new cars, on sale now. Won't your local dealer have figures for a 2 year old car and be able to give you the figure for your car, as sold?
Car Tax con - Victorbox
180 g/km it would appear from Vauxhall (although this is a 2006 model) www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/configurator/continue.do?met...s
Car Tax con - Victorbox
Sorry my link doesn't work so go to www.vauxhall.co.uk/ and work through Vectra configurator to get to "technical specification" for 2.2 Direct SRI.
Car Tax con - Mystic
What does your certifcate of european conformity say (I assume they're issued in the UK)?
I guess that would the master figure - as its whats other EU countries would you use if you decided to reg your vehicle there.
Car Tax con - rjr
The renewal form should use the CO2 figure that is printed on the V5 for the vehicle. This figure would have been provided by the manufacturer when the car was first registered.

The CO2 figure will vary depending on the size of wheels and tyres fitted to the car.

For example:

A Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 Direct SRi 5 Door on standard wheels has a CO2 rating of 185g/km.

A Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 Direct SRi 5 Door on optional wheels has a CO2 rating of 187g/km.

Car Tax con - Dynamic Dave
See if you can find the info on a site that was previously posted here:-

www.vmproductforum.co.uk/product.aspx?scn=1&prd=15

But as already mentioned, if you've got ultra low profile wheels (eg 19") then the emmission rating will be different.
Car Tax con - Granny
I have just received the reminder for my 02 Mondeo 2.0 Zetec Estate petrol. It shows a CO2 of 194 but the cost is £165 for 12 months which is the old price. On the web it shows it as £190. Think I might go to the post office instead of renewing it online.
Car Tax con - daveyjp
You still probably have to pay £190. DVLA issued a press release this week apologising that some reminders were sent out incorrectly.
Car Tax con - Rudedog
How will DVLA know if I've fitted larger wheels and possibily change the banding? I've had larger wheels fitted as an factory option will the garage inform them? My car is right on the top edge of one band so it could be pushed into the next band.
Car Tax con - mikeyb
Not sure they could tell after manufacture, but I think they give a co2 rating to each car as it leaves the factory to reflect anything that may have an impact i.e its not just size of wheels, but perhaps aircon as an extra which is not in the standard spec would increase co2 as would anything that adds to the weight. I would guess that all factories have a standard assesment i.e. aircon adds 2 grm , bigger wheels adds 2 etc and they just tot up the total over the basic spec.
Car Tax con - mikeyb
Just noticed this on the SMMT site :-

"The CO2 value for models being registered since March 2001 is taken from the First Registration and Licensing document. The values for vehicles registered before this date have been supplied by the manufacturers directly to the SMMT. The value may change dependent on various factors including any optional extras and tyre size."
Car Tax con - cheddar
It will be the wider wheels taking it up a a couple of grm/KM, 18"/225s do this compared to 17"/205s on a Mondeo, if they were factory fit then the DVLA know about them.
Car Tax con - bell boy
its the same for the wifes fiesta i didnt believe it for such a umble car but the figures are on the dvla site.
Why should a 1242cc fiesta on a Y plate be dearer to tax than a 1299cc fiesta on a p plate eh.?
Car Tax con - Rudedog
So when I buy my next new car will the salesperson look at a table and add up what effects the options I spec will make on the banding? And will he tell me before I buy the car, if he includes a years VED with the car will I get stung for the extra when I pick it up because the options have pushed into a higher banding?
Car Tax con - daveyjp
Rudedog - if you look in car brochures now they quite often have details of what effect extras have on CO2 emissions. Audi brochures state the VED bands quoted are based on a car having the maximum number of options, so in theory if you have a basic spec you could end up paying less VED. As a purchaser it's up to you to check.
Car Tax con - JH
Blimey, Gordon at his best. Why make it simple? Or even something you can work out yourself.
JH
So how do I inform them that the vehicle is on standard wheels.
Car Tax con - cheddar
19" alloys are not standard.
Ah! But if I've sold the 19's and put it on 17's, how do I get it changed?
Car Tax con - TheOilBurner
You can't can you?

The rating is based on out of the factory spec.

Until there's a way of accurately rating the figure for cars already on the road (as part of the MOT?) then the rating remains fixed for the cars lifetime, even when at 15 years old it clearly wouldn't be so clean...

Most annoying for you - but great news for everyone upgrading their 17"s to the glorious 19" jobbies! ;)
Car Tax con - David Horn
Hmm. Are these tax bands only from 2001 onwards? My car comes out as 175g/km, which would put me in a lower tax band than what I currently pay. Only problem is that it was registered in 1998
Car Tax con - AlastairW
That right, the new bands only apply to post 2001 (or is it 2003?) cars. In any case my 2000 registered one falls in the old system.
Car Tax con - bell boy
just seen this hope im not repeating anything .........off to watch alan sugar

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4930358.stm