Air Leak? Vectra 2.0 (1997) - mickyh7
Vectra 2.0 GLS 1997 16v petrol.Could a Intake Manifold air leak cause all four of my plugs to 'soot' up? Got a low revs miss on the over-run which is proving difficult to fix.Its killed 2 used Lambders and I'm now onto a brand new one.Everything Electrical has been replaced as has the ICV No mil light comes on (except when the O2 sensors have given up)!Would I be right in thinking if the lambda senses too much O2 it will richen the mixture causing over fueling-Felt as 'kangarooing'Car is fine on tickover and above 1500 revs-Any comments would be most welcome-Thanks
Air Leak? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am NO mechanic but a quick thought is that an air leak would let extra air into the engine (?) and this would make the engine run weak/hot and wouldn't seem to me to cause plug sooting but rather the reverse = too hot = very pale biscuity colour. I am sure you will be lucky and someone who knows what they are talking about will be along to help soon!
Air Leak? - Peter D
I can't see the whole picture here. Have you fixed the air leak i.e. changed the Gasket. That colour where the duff O2 sensors, initially I would say, depending where the air leake was that then engine has been running week, very hot gases and burn the surface of the sensors. However a leak is large at tickover and minute at 3000 rpm. Tell us more and some history. Regards Peter
Air Leak? - mickyh7
Off to work now-sorry will get back tomorrow ps too much air being sensed would cause the the ECU to give more fuel-???
Air Leak? - Peter D
Not quite as if the air leak is after the AMM or MAF then the ACU would be confused as you are adding unmetered. and I repaet this air leak would have an effect at tike over but not a lot when driving. To sook the plugs ir really over fuelling and very rich. Regards Peter
Air Leak? - mickyh7
Peterd-check your e-mails?
Air Leak? - mickyh7
In case anyone is interested,after having the emissions checked on a four gas tester it seems the O2 sensor (Brand new NTK Patern Part) is not switching when it should.I'm now in a battle with my local Motor Factors,who argue its not their problem.I suspect its the wrong part as there are a few different fittments for different Ecotec engines.Obviously I'v since thrown away the receit! I'm also wondering if it is a genuine NTK part or a 'Copy'. They say they need to send the part back to NTK to have it checked? Which I doubt very much.So I'll give the stand off a week then I'll go to the small claims court.All of this to save £30. Regards Mick.