Vauxhall Vectra engine rattle. - fishy-steve
I've got a 2.0ltr 16 valve ecotec engine with a top end engine rattle. Sounds to me like a tappet. How come??? Can you get this with hydraulic tappets?
Cheers,
Fishy-steve.
Vauxhall Vectra engine rattle. - busker
All the time? Only when first starting? Only when cold engine? When was oil & filter last changed?
Vauxhall Vectra engine rattle. - mickyh7
Take the heat shield off the exhaust manifold (8mm spanner,they are never tight) and check for a broken stud on the left hand side,this then warps the manifold.Very common problem on Vectra's and it causes a top end knocking noise.Good Luck.
Vauxhall Vectra engine rattle. - Dynamic Dave
Can you get this with hydraulic tappets?

When they clog up and leak oil out of them when the engine is at rest, they do. Is it mainly on start up, or all the time?

If you can find a supplier, you could try some Forte Top End Treatment. It's not generally available to joe public, but places like ATS used to stock it (no idea if they still do), but you *should* be able to get some from a Vauxhall dealer.
Vauxhall Vectra engine rattle. - Ruperts Trooper
Paying more for oil doesn't guarantee good quality but buying cheap oil will ensure you get exactly this problem.

Cheap oil gradually gums up components, particularly the hydraulic lifters in the Ecotec 16v.

If you've recently noticed the noise use "Oil Flush" from STP, Wynns, etc at the next oil change (and every other one thereafter). Use ACEA-A3 / API-SL or SM oil at the next change and change it more often, 5,000 miles would be a good idea. The viscosity should be in line with the manufacturers recommendation - in your case 10W-40.

WARNING - if this noise has been present for a considerable time, there is a risk that oil flush will move unwanted deposits around the engine and cause more damage - my view is that if this is the case the engine is a lost cause anyway!

Personally I use Mobil 1 0W-40, changed every 5,000, in my Astra 1.8 which uses a similar, but not identical engine. It's not cheap but at 80,000 miles the oil consumption is zero, the CO emission is 0.00% and the HC emission is 0 ppm.
Vauxhall Vectra engine rattle. - mickyh7
Before using the 'Lost Cause'clause-Why not let a qualified mechanic have a look/listen-You might need new lifters or nothing at all-Very difficult to tell on an Internet Forum.good Luck!(Try looking on one of the main Vauxhall Forums,loads of experience on there to browse at).
Vauxhall Vectra engine rattle. - fishy-steve
Hi all, thanks for the replies.
The noise is considerably louder on start up and gets quieter as the engine warms up. Then there is a faint ticking sound which gets worse when you blip the throttle. Hope you get my drift.
The oil was last changed 12000 miles ago so its well overdue. I'll change the oil and filter and put some engine treatment in and see if that helps.
As for the exhaust that was the first thing I checked. Its not blowing and all looks well there.

Cheers,
Steve