No road tax, no SORN, no logbook, no MOT - moonshine {P}
I guess some of you will read the title to this thread and think its a post about "another low life scum illegal immegrant who mows down children while high on drugs"

Well, you would be wrong, its about my dear Mums car.

So here's the story from start to end...

A few years back my Mum bought a new (second hand) car. It needed Tax so she went to the post office and bought a years tax, the PO took the log book and said they would send it to the DVLA. One year later Mum notices that the tax is about to expire and realises that she never got the log book back. After several phone calls to DVLA she managed to buy another years tax although I'm unsure of the exact details.

So lets fast forward another year to the present day. Mum is dead.

The car is sat on the drive, the MOT has expired, the Insurance has expired and the tax has run out. I can't find the log book and a reminder for the tax never arrived. Mum died on Christmas eve and the tax expired at the end of March. I now have the letters of administration so I can deal with her estate. It is possible that the issue with the log book was never sorted out properly and the car may still be registered with the previous owner.

It's been a long time since I've posted on this board, although I read here almost every day. Previous experience has shown me that there is a huge amount of knowledge that you guys (and girls!) are willing to share, so here are my questions...

1 - Should I SORN the car? If so how? Am I liable for a fine?
2 - How do I get a new log book?
3 - What do I do next?
4 - The car is not worth much (I would guess around £800), whats the best way to dispose of it?

Thanks in advance.

BTW - If any smokers want help to quit, I'm happy to share the details of my mother's death with you (privately). I used to be a smoker.....
No road tax, no SORN, no logbook, no MOT - Doc
1 - Should I SORN the car? If so how?

Yes. It is worth doing.

Complete a SORN declaration form (V890) and send it to DVLA. The V890 is available from a licence-issuing Post Office branch, a DVLA Local Office or can be downloaded from the DVLA site.

No road tax, no SORN, no logbook, no MOT - Doc
2 - How do I get a new log book?

You can apply for a replacement by:

Completing a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C Application Form (V62). The V62 Form is available from DVLA Local Offices, Post Office branches or can be downloaded from the DVLA site.

A fee of £19 will be payable.

No road tax, no SORN, no logbook, no MOT - henry k
I would phone the DVLA and explain the situation prior to any form filling.
No road tax, no SORN, no logbook, no MOT - bell boy
I would phone the DVLA and explain the situation prior to
any form filling.

i agree with henry k
you cant sorn a vehicle you do not own.
If you give all the facts the dvla will tell you if the car was registered in your mothers name.
If it wasnt then fill in the v5c you can download one from the dvla website download a v890 at the same time fill them in and say you are the new keeper from today that way you cant be fined for back tax dont forget the £19 fee.
You havent said what the car is?it may not have a value? can you post what it is? before you start spending money on a stood vehicle.
No road tax, no SORN, no logbook, no MOT - martint123
Yes, contrary to what a lot of people say, the DVLA is manned by human beings. They are very helpful in circumstances like this.
Phone them.
No road tax, no SORN, no logbook, no MOT - moonshine {P}
Quick update

Spoke with the DVLA this morning. The car is registered ok in my Mums name. I guess the reminder must have been lost in the post. If I can find the logbook all I need to do is fill in section 6 as normal and include a covering letter. As for the tax she said I can't declare SORN as I'm not the registered keeper.
No road tax, no SORN, no logbook, no MOT - cockle {P}
As for the tax she said
I can't declare SORN as I'm not the registered keeper.

You may not be the registered keeper, but from what you said above about letters of administration I'm assuming that you are an executor of your mother's estate. Whether it still holds today I can't be sure but when my father died 8 years ago DVLA let me transfer ownership of the vehicle and re tax with a covering letter and evidence that I was his executor as the vehicle was still part of his estate that I, as executor, was able to deal with.
Might be worth trying.