Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - kal
HI Gents, any thoughts on the relative merits of the accord/passat diesel.looking at buying one year old for a family member and keeping for 7/8 years...Rgd, and thanks for any replies.
Thanks
Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - Statistical outlier
Have a look at this thread:

snipurl.com/ozga

I'd go for an Accord as the dealers appear to be much better and it is very reliable according to surveys. Beware though, it's probably thirstier than the Passat (although people keep reassuring me this will be cured once 10k or so on the clock) and you do need to keep an eye on the oil.

Gord.
Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - IanJohnson
I had four years with a Passat (previous model 1.8T) and apart from one long term reliability issue (everything off battery current of up to 2 Amps so they can run the battery down very quickly) it was fine - was put off by the dealer service which is terrible.

Have an Accord Diesel which is just over 2 years old and the dealer experience is far better and the car more reliable (so far).

As far as economy is concerned my Accord is averaging 50 but our Fleet Manager's own car is around 40 - his has just been in and Honda have admitted there was something wrong and have changed numerous parts. Got it back a couple of days ago so will report when he knows what MPG it is doing now.
Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - ubidenmark
You can't get an auto in the Honda...
Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - Murphy The Cat
I recently took an Accord Diesel out for a test drive and I was very impressed with the car generally, but one aspect was hugely annoying.

The car was equipped with "sports" alloy wheels and lower profile tyres - whilst they may have looked good, the car "tracked" over poor road surfaces very badly and the amount of road roar/ road noise was IMHO excessive. It was probably more noticeable due to the engine being absolutely silent. The Honda salesamn confirmed my thoughts and told me that as it was a demo they spec it to the top.
The regular setup apparently doesn't suffer the same way.

Nice car though.

MTC
Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - Malcolm_L
My Accord has 17" alloy wheels and lower profile tyres, however the tramlining problem is down to the carp OEM Yokohama's. The Pirelli P6000's and Michelin Pilot Primacy's I've had since have completely cured the tramlining.

I can't understand how or why Honda do this as it's obvious to anyone within 5 minutes that the car is not happy, are they trying to sell the car or put punters off?
My Accord has 17" alloy wheels and lower profile tyres, however
the tramlining problem is down to the carp OEM Yokohama's. The
Pirelli P6000's and Michelin Pilot Primacy's I've had since have completely
cured the tramlining.
I can't understand how or why Honda do this as it's
obvious to anyone within 5 minutes that the car is not
happy, are they trying to sell the car or put punters
off?

Hi Malcolm

It certainly put me off. The car itself was very, very good, but There is no way that I could have lived with the road/tyre noise. It was so bad that on a motorway I had to turn the radio wwwwaaaaayyyy up to hear what was being said, but then as soon as you slowed down you had to leap on the volume again and reduce it.

So sadly I walked away and looked elsewhere for a car.

MTC
Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - Robbie
Go for the standard fitment 16" wheels as recommneded by Honest John. No problem with my Tourer, and the fuel consumption is now around 50mpg with no oil consumption.
Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - Marc
As far as I was aware the 17" alloys were an option on both Sport and Executive models. Standard fit is 16". If you liked everything else surely you can pick up a model with standard 16s like Robbie says.

There seems to be some good deals on nearly new 05 plate Accord diesels at the moment - at around £15-16k, much more realistic pricing. Equipment wise I think the two things that let the car down are lack of a six speed box and a trip computer - things they've probably rectified for the 06 facelift.
Having driven both, I've gone for the 17" wheels because I liked the look and didn't mind the road noise. I can confirm that the 16" doesn't tramline and is much quieter tho.

I've not found the 5-speed box to be a problem. It initially put me off trying the car, but the engine is so flexible that it actually is no problem at all. I certainly don't think the 6 speed box or a trip computer would justify spending an extra 5k on the car.
Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - Marc
I too think the grey 17" alloys vastly improve the appearance of the car, especially in black. However, my current car has got 17" alloys and lowered suspension and the ride is awful on most roads except motorways so I wouldn't do it again.

Agreed a trip computer isn't worth 5k, thing is most other cars in this sector have them these days and you get used to having one.

Only other thing that niggles about the Accord is residuals longer term. The initial pricing strategy was high, almost in base spec BMW 3 series/Audi A4 territory. I don't think pitching the car this high helped private sales at all. Although the car is seen (rightly or wrongly) as a cut above Mondeo/Vectra etc I don't think it's in the junior exec league just yet.

At nearly new, the cars now seem to be priced at a sensible level, albeit pre facelift 05 MY cars. However, in a couple of year's time will the car be down to the pricing level of used Nissan Primeras and Toyota Avenses' or will it retain a premium?
I think the trick must be not to get the sports suspension. I've got the 17" on standard suspension, and the ride is good. Not as good as the standard wheels, but very comfortable on almost all surfaces none the less, and I like the fact that there's a lot more feedback through the steering wheel.
> If you liked everything else surely you can pick
up a model with standard 16s like Robbie says.

Hi Marc

you're absolutely right, I could have waited. But the dealer told me that it could be a couple of months before they got a demo with the 16" wheels so I carried on looking elsewhere to see if anything else took my fancy.

& then I went to a Chrysler dealer

& saw a 300C

& took it for a test drive

& fell in lust with it

& now a 300C CRD is sat outside my office.

MTC
If you wanted visual impact, then you made absolutely the right choice!! The Accord with small wheels looks awful (IMHO). Anyway, not really comparing like with like really - 300C is bigger, more powerful and a lot more expensive.

300C is a stunning car in the flesh tho, saw one in black the other day. V nice, not sure I'd buy one myself though.
If you wanted visual impact, then you made absolutely the right
choice!! The Accord with small wheels looks awful (IMHO). Anyway, not
really comparing like with like really - 300C is bigger, more
powerful and a lot more expensive.
300C is a stunning car in the flesh tho, saw one
in black the other day. V nice, not sure I'd buy
one myself though.

absolutely agree with you Gordon.

However regarding the price, at the time Mr Honda was looking for nearly £23000, which isn't a long way short of the £25750 list price of a 300C.

But I'll repeat what I said earlier for the OP, I thought that the accord was a very good car indeed

MTC
Accord TDCI V's Passat TDCI - netlang
I had terrible problem with the Accord EX Tramlining on 17" Penta wheels shoed with Yoko tyres - It was awful, I changed the front tyres to Michelin Pilot Sports and it is cured! There is absolutely no tramlining whatsoever. I find the car superb in every way and get around 48 MPG per gallon on an average week.
I think it must be somewhat down to tracking. I'm on 17" Pentas and OEM tyres (haven't checked what they are, maybe they've changed them because of this) - it does tramline, but not much.