W reg Mondeo 1.8LXi - options - inonothing
I have a W reg Mondeo 1.8LXi (50000 miles). Driving along the Mway at 70 and suddenly the accelerator slows the car down!!. Limped to mates with no power. Called AA and he says blocked exhaust probably CAT gone. Towed us home. He said drive it carefully to garage and they'll fix exhaust. I tried to drive it onto my drive and it made a crunch and now won't even start. AA man says sounded like timing belt off. I've had someone else look at it since who says engine is not repairable and exhaust is broke.

What are my options now?

1. Get a 2nd opinion as to whether its repairable
2. Could I trade it in (obviously I'm not expecting a lot)
3. Is it worth anything to anyone in this state
4. Could I get a reconditioned engine - is this a good idea + how much (roughly) would it cost.

Basically we now want 2 cars and I'll be able to pay £8000 for both. I could get a main family car for approx £6000 and I intended keeping the Mondeo as a 2nd older car so now I don't know how to sort this.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I feel somewhat hacked off that the £2500 car I had the other day is now worth next to nothing. Your help would be very much appreciated.

W reg Mondeo 1.8LXi - options - Quinny100
I'd get a second opinion - did the person who said the engine isn't repairable say why thats so?

A second hand engine shouldn't cost more than £500 from a reputable breaker, I've heard of them changing hands for half that too so shop around. Fitting it will cost a few hundred but the whole lot should be achieveable for hundreds rather than thousands.

If you want rid of it put in on ebay with a accurate description and photographs and you might be surprised at how much you get.
W reg Mondeo 1.8LXi - options - bell boy
get an independant opinion as said and you also believe,
I had a car towed in last year by the men in yellow coats "head gasket guv shes gone" he said, well punto thermostats take 20 mins to swap and the car was back with customer same afternoon.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"