Volvo 760 door dropped - Xileno {P}
The rear door on my mother's elderly Volvo 760 estate seems to have dropped very slightly. Looking at the coach lines about 3mm but it's enough to rub the paint. I can't see any adjustment but then I'm not very clued up on Volvos.

Can it be adjusted? Does anyone know?
Volvo 760 door dropped - defender
long time ago now but from memory you can adjust the door by slackening the hinge bolts and move the tailgate to suit then retighten and you can I think alter the lock by using packers to fit ,will see if I can find an old manual for the car and confirm
Volvo 760 door dropped - jc2
Possibly a worn hinge pin.
as an after thought is there guide plates at the side which may have loosened and be allowing the tailgate to drop when closed
No sorry I should have made it clearer. It's the rear passenger door, not the tailgate.
probably hinge pin but check and see the bolts are tight and have not lost packing shims allowing movement .
you could possibly put a shim in to lift the door or slackening the bolts may give enough movement to lift it and retighten bolts,if the pin is very worn there are plenty in the breakers
Volvo 760 door dropped - Andrew-T
"Possibly a worn hinge pin" - I would say probably. We aren't told the age of the car. On the other hand, rear doors are opened less often than the front. What are those like?

Can slack be felt if the door is lifted at the free end?
It's 17 years old, registered April 1989. The other three doors are perfect. However, I have been side tracked the last few days trying to get it through the MOT, it has failed on corrosion where the front seat belt anchors are and there's a warning about some slack in the steering rack. It's a big job, means the front seats and carpet have to come out in order to gain access for the welder. Not sure whether it's worth it, might be time for it to meet the grim reaper, after 17 happy years.

I'm surprised about the corrosion though, it's always been jet washed and waxoyled. I suppose 17 years is good though.

Thanks for the advice though.
Volvo 760 door dropped - bell boy
if the warning on the steering is just that ie an mot advise then if you are happy how it drives you could ignore it or see if you can take the slack out.
Do the welding and you have another years motoring for the cost of an mot and ignore the back door.
You then have twelve months to source an alternative vehicle rather than what we call in the trade a distress purchase .

--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
some volvo older steering racks had an adjustment to tighten them up (back of the rack out of sight) ,the other common problem was the ball joint on the track rod nearest the rack ,surprised about the seat belt mounts needing welding though,after 17 years you cant grudge it a small repair
Volvo 760 door dropped - jc2
Probably the jet-washing;forcing water where it didn't ought to be.
Again thanks for the help. It's going to be left with the welder to sort out, it won't be more than £200 max, so worth it. I am just surprised that a Volvo would rust, the rest of the car is immaculate and barely a scratch on it. When we get it back I will look at the dropped door.

Interesting MOT report though:

'001 Nearside front seat belt anchorage prescribed area is deliberately modified which significantly reduces the original strength [5.1.B.6]'

Ditto Offside

'Deliberately modified'? We haven't sent the rust there... ;-)

Volvo 760 door dropped - bell boy
'Deliberately modified'? We haven't sent the rust there... ;-)

thats the new computator mot for you
i see a new phrase every week from siemens
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"