Long service intervals on way out? - Xileno {P}
I notice that the new Euro 4 compliant Laguna 2.0 dCi has a service interval every 9K instead of 18K.

Is this to service the particulate filter and/or change the oil? Does anyone know?
Long service intervals on way out? - Armitage Shanks {p}
In PSA cars the particle filter is not 'serviced' maybe replaced, until 72K miles. Renault's filter may be different.
It's a FAP filter whatever that is. I was interested in what costs might be involved if I buy this car. My current dCi doesn't have a filter.
Long service intervals on way out? - Stuartli
Against the price of the vehicle it's likely to be a very small percentage of costs overall.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Long service intervals on way out? - machika
I was told by a Renault salesman, not long ago, that the new dCi engines don't require the particulate filter to be changed. Of course, he might be totally wrong and, in that case, it won't be a cheap item to replace. As one of these cars gets older, it becomes a significant outlay in keeping it on the road.
Long service intervals on way out? - boxsterboy
I'm sure by then there will be own-brand cheapies available.
Long service intervals on way out? - type's'
I noticed also that some other manufacturers are reducing their service intervals to keep warranty claims down and increase customer satisfaction.
Long service intervals on way out? - Dalglish
I noticed also that some other manufacturers are reducing
their service intervals ...

>>

where/when did you notice ?
and they are ?

Long service intervals on way out? - type's'
Try this for starters - it is Mercedes Benz.
www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=218913

I will dig out the other articels on other makers as well for you.
Long service intervals on way out? - Dalglish
type s: thanks for that. it seems from the waht car article that mercedes are planning to remove the computer calcultaed 25000 mile service intervals and replace them with fixed 15000 mile intervals. quoting from your above link

".... Mike Belk, managing director of customer services, told What Car? that the intervals would be set to around 15,000 miles ..."

he is the same guy interviewed in the telegraph article on attempts to improve mercedes reliability, as mentioned in other threads, including yours.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=40...8
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=40...2

perhaps mercedes are trying to help dealers get more servicing business. as the telegraph article says:
".. However, there could be problems for dealers' service profitability when reliable new models lead to a more significant drop in warranty work. .."

I'm sure by then there will be own-brand cheapies available.

>>

There are PSA cars that have had these particulate filters for almost 5 years and there are no cheapies available for them yet.
Long service intervals on way out? - hillman
I'm sure that there will also have been some pressure from the garages to get regular work again.
PSA particle filter for 1.6 Hdi was £700 fitted, last time I asked. By the time I have 72K miles it will probably be a lot more! It is silly money to pay, for the privilege of getting £30 a year off your road tax!
Long service intervals on way out? - Hamsafar
I think they've realised that it's best to let the technical department decide when vehicles should be serviced rather than the marketing department. Hopefully they'll too realise that it's best to let the engineers design assemblies rather than the finance department send them out to tender.
PSA particle filter for 1.6 Hdi was £700 fitted, last time
I asked. By the time I have 72K miles
it will probably be a lot more! It is silly
money to pay, for the privilege of getting £30 a
year off your road tax!

>>

I am led to believe (am hoping) that the exchange filters are much cheaper than I was told a new filter would be a year or so ago. £700 is a ridiculous price, when it only takes about an hour to replace it.
Long service intervals on way out? - Roly93
Against the price of the vehicle it's likely to be a
very small percentage of costs overall.

I dissagree sir !
I rely on the long service intervals of my car (Audi) as it is a major running cost when it occurs. I dont call £300 for an 'interim' service and £450-£500 for a full service minor costs. I would accept shorter service cycles if the dealers got more realistic/less greedy with their prices.
Long service intervals on way out? - L'escargot
<< I would accept shorter service cycles if
the dealers got more realistic/less greedy with their prices.

Then what you need is a Ford instead of an Audi.
--
L\'escargot.
Long service intervals on way out? - sack o'spanners
The particle filter can lead to shorter service intervals for oil mainly - a precaution based on oil being diluted with fuel due to the very late injections needed to burn off the accumulated particles. FAP roughly translates as Filtre aux Particules. The filter itself shouldn't need such regular service attention.
The PSA version relies on a fuel additive to help the particle burn off, but this leaves a residue in the filter every time, slowly reducing its effectiveness, giving it a finite lifespan.
Maybe I should get another V6. All these filters seem a bit costly. I only do about 10K a year.
Who measures this 'reduction in effectiveness' and decides when the Particle filter needs changing? What might be the effect of continuing to run with a partially blocked or ineffective filter and the EOLYS tank empty? Just a thought!
Long service intervals on way out? - sack o'spanners
Burning off the particles with the EOLYS additive leaves an ash residue which can't pass through the filter. The system knows the mass of particulates in the trap at each burn-off and estimates the ash residue & the amount of remaining 'effective' filter volume. The pressure differential sensor across the filter will also put on warning lamps if it detects its definition of a blocked filter.
A blocked filter can cause high back pressure and some manufacturers will put the car in limp-home for blocked filter to protect the engine, then its off to the garage for the service regeneration.
Long service intervals on way out? - L'escargot
Mercedes' reason seems straightforward and above board.

"However, from October Mercedes will revert back to fixed intervals on every model, apart from the A- and B-Class, and high-performance AMG variants.

Mike Belk, managing director of customer services, told What Car? that the intervals would be set to around 15,000 miles or every year.

He said the change would make it simpler to check if a car had been serviced properly by checking its history. It would also make it easier for fleet and private motorists to plan their maintenance schedules, Belk added."

--
L\'escargot.
Long service intervals on way out? - Dipstick
Spookily enough I've just had a Renault Laguna dci thingy for a week as a courtesy car (got my own car back this morning. (As an aside I used to drive Renaults about ten years ago. I gave them up partly because after two years mine all sounded like milk floats with all the trim rattling. This was a 54 reg and the trim rattled in a nostalgic way. No change there then! Not a bad drive at all though).

In an idle moment I glanced through the handbook and there was a supplement about the Renault particulate filters. It said it is self cleaning, and on occasion there may be white amoke out of the exhausst - that's just the filter cleaning itself. There was no mention that I remember of having to replace it every so often.

If it were me I'd hike down to the local Renault dealer and see if that supplement can be looked at over the counter for a minute, to answer any questions. Or maybe you can download it from the Renault website, not that I've checked.