Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Chris S
Has anybody else noticed the duplicity in the VAG range? Audi, Porsche, VW, Seat and Skoda all produce models that compete with each other for sales in the same sector of the market.

When British Leyland did this they went bankrupt. What's to stop VAG going the same way?
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - BazzaBear {P}
I suppose the difference is that all the repeated models for BL were rubbish.
Not that I'm any lover of VAG, but their products are at least to an industry standard of quality. I don't think it's the duplication that caused BL's problems.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - cheddar
At anyone time BL made three, four or five engine types of a similar capacity where as VAG make one or two engine types and fit them to five or six different types of car.

1750 Maxi / Allegro
1.8 MGB / Marina
1.8 Princess / Ambassador
1850 Triumph Dolomite
2.0 6cyl Triumph 2000
2.0 16v Triumph Dolomite Sprint
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - cheddar
Also Maxi, Allegro, Marina, Ambassador, Dolomite, Triumph 2000 etc were all totally different platforms where as a Golf, Leon, Octavia, A3 and TT are all based on the same platform, also depending on year Passat, A4, A6, Superb etc.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Xileno {P}
VAG produce cars that people want to buy. BL struggled to do so. When they did produce a good design such as the SD1, it was ruined by lousy build quality, atrocious electrics and unreliability.

And that's before we get onto management and unions.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - geoff1248
Forget what happened to BL, different time, different country, different politics.
VAG are interested in market share. If someone buys one of their products be it SEAT, Skoda, Audi or VW then they are not buying Ford, Vauxhall or Peugeot. Market share eventually leads to brand loyalty. Also don't forget the economies of scale. Originally VW may have ordered say a million widgets from a supplier. Now, because so many parts are common across the group, they will be ordering 3 million and thus getting a much larger discount. If the supplier won't give them any extra discount then they have the muscle to go to another supplier who will give them the discount.
Whether they do actually compete in the same sector is a slightly different question. I wouldn't put an Audi in the same sector as say a Skoda. Although the way Skoda are going who knows what the future may hold for them?
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Garethj
Did BL ever export any of their cars by the way? Apart from the 'export or die' in the 1940s I mean.

VW export to so many countries that they're safe if one market drops a bit.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Stuartli
VW Group marques' products appeal to different areas of the market.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Falkirk Bairn
If you read the finance sections of the papers you will see that VW are struggling as their "cost base" is too high for their industry - (Ford & GM are leaders in the field of having Very Overheads related to past employees, pensions, health and poor products/wrong products in some markets does not help).

VW mistakes such as putting lots of money into the Bugatti Veyron do not help nor did the mega investment in a big new "glass factory" to make the Phaeton help. The Bugatti gives publicity the Phaeton did not even sell well........

VW are wanting to reduce their cost base and in doing so jobs in Germany might move east into other parts in even bigger numbers.

If you buy an Audi TT it is made in Hungary, the new Fox is to be brought in from Brazil......... so much for made in Germany.

Porsche has recently upped its % ownership in VW and might be a future owner if the "Price is Right"
>>so much for made in Germany.>>

VW has manufacturing plants in many parts of the world.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Gromit {P}
If you read the finance sections of the papers you will
see that VW are struggling as their "cost base" is too
high for their industry - Ford & GM are leaders in
the field of having Very Overheads related to past
employees, pensions, health...

If VAG's costs are high, surely GM can't be considered a role model. Their bills for employee benefits are so high they've been described by some commentators as a health insurance provider who just happens to make cars too!

As pointed out above, not only do VAG build a minimum of engines and platforms, but they only stock two types of each fitting used across the range to further reduce inventory costs. And they built a total of 35 vehicles on the Golf Mk4 platform!
VW mistakes such as putting lots of money into the Bugatti
Veyron do not help nor did the mega investment in a
big new "glass factory" to make the Phaeton help.

The halo effect, surely? VAG prove they can build the best, so the favourable impression rubs off on lower models. More cost-effective than sponsoring a motorsport team who, unless they're winning, only reflect badly on the brand.
VW are wanting to reduce their cost base and in doing
so jobs in Germany might move east...so much for made in
Germany.

Jobs have already moved - but for the Golf, at least, enough work is still done on the car in Germany to ensure it can legally be described as "made in Germany". Sharp practice maybe, but again, hardly indicative of the careless management that saw British Leyland run into the ground.

So, VAG might be feeling the pinch in a competitive market, but they do appear to try hard to manage the situation. Therein lies the important difference between them and the UK's former motor industry.

Besides, Backroomers may argue about the merits of VWs, but when's the last time somebody posted "I mourn for my Austin Montego and wish they still made them" :-)

- Gromit
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - caesar

Porsche has recently upped its % ownership in VW and might be a future owner if the "Price is Right"
Dont know how you got that idea.
Unless things have changed in germany they have some sort of goverment statute so that vw can never be bought out!!
As for struggling they probably are but im sure they were one of the few european companys that posted a profit.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Roberson
Not in the same number VAG do. In some instances, BL had cars unique to some countries, like the P76 in Australia.

See www.austin-rover.co.uk (under 'around the world')

As you'll see, they had a fair few models, but i don't think they were all that popular.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Xileno {P}
"Unless things have changed in germany they have some sort of goverment statute so that vw can never be bought out!!"

Good to see one of the founding members of the EU practicing what it preaches.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Altea Ego
Its not allowed under EU law and is being phased out.

So

Porsche bought a stake in VW, and VW have a stake in Porsche. Its a joint poison pill to prevent take over and break up.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Aprilia
I find it hard to imagine VW being taken over, not impossible - but things would have to get very very bad for that to happen. The Germans are not as 'careless' with the ownership of their companies as the British!

As to cars being made outside of Germany - well, VW have had overseas manufacturing plants for many years and were sourcing some parts from Eastern Europe whilst it was still communist. They are truely multinational in that sense - in fact they make a surprisingly large proportion of their vehciles in Germany. Just think about the Japanese - the majority of European market Jap cars are not made in Japan - ditto American market Japanese cars.

'Overheads' aren't the whole story. The Japanese companies have (in Japan) some of the highest wages and overheads in the world - but they still turn a profit because they are very efficient and make cars that sell well with low warranty claims. GM and Ford overheads only look bad because they are not selling enough cars, and the ones that they are managing to sell are being heavily discounted. They also have a high level of warranty claims and any significant warranty work on a vehicle effectively 'writes off' the profit made at sale of the vehicle.

The auto industry is a bit like the semiconductor industry in that the raw materials are relatively cheap but the manufacturing facility and distribution network is expensive. If your 'breakeven' figure is, say, 75% of capacity and you are running at only 65% then that means big losses. Running at 85% means big profits; 100% means massive profits! Any time the plant is idle you are shedding massive amounts of money. This is the position that the US industry has got itself into.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - colinh
There were recent reports that VW were having to bring out a Mark 6 Golf two or three years early (in 2008?) because the current one has too high man-hour content. Whilst still profitable, the margins were unacceptable
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - mr.freezer
Perhaps this is to create a clear gulf between the Golf and its Seat and Skoda Cousins.

If the Golf gets a clear run of 3 years with no direct comparison being able to be made to say an Octavia less people may think that the Octavia is a budget Golf (rightly or wrongly)
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - kal
Aprilla as an investment analsyst running billion dollar funds we get access to top managemnt at these companies. All I can say is that of had to have one/two auto stocks in my portfolio then it would be Poursche and Toyota, the rest are crap. The auto industry suffers from a bloated cost base in the US and Europe which the Unions have not realised and also the manufactruing logistis are relatively poor when compared to the likes of Toyota. In addition I think VAG will end up canabalsising thier own brand with the proliferation of models as well as Joe Blogs getting fed up with the poor reliability (in germany VW unlike in the UK is not seen as an up market brand). But the fact of the matter is that the European auto industry is running on bporrowed time, if its not the threat from the Japs the Koreans are also fighting hard. FIAT of Italy is a joke...the latest nonsense was Carlos Ghosin of Nissan stating he wants to take Renault upmarket and improve operating margins...what a joke...
AH an investment analyst. The nearest thing we have to a human vulture.

The investment business is directly responsible for the fatal short term thinking of UK and US industry.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Roly93
VAG produce cars that people want to buy. BL struggled to
do so. When they did produce a good design such as
the SD1, it was ruined by lousy build quality, atrocious electrics
and unreliability.
And that's before we get onto management and unions.

>>
Unfortunately very true, also compared to VaG group, BL's penetration of the European/global marketplace was at best patchy.
What VaG Have done is produced 3 or 4 discrete ranges of cars to suit differnt budgets and customer types, but with the master stroke of being able to draw heavily on both 'platform' commonality and engineering components.
I understand that VaG group are the most advanced manufacturer in the World with regard to platform commonality, and in a large Global business the cost-savings of this strategy are enormous.

Plus, I cant help saying I bet their labour relations are a lot better than the best time at BL !!
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - boxsterboy
Has anybody else noticed the duplicity in the VAG range? Audi,
Porsche, VW, Seat and Skoda all produce models that compete with
each other for sales in the same sector of the market.

Porsche are not part of VAG.

They own shares in VAG and vice versa, but they are a seperate private company (and one of the most profitable car companies in the world).
Is the Porsche SUV not on the same platform as the VW one ?
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - mare
Is the Porsche SUV not on the same platform as the
VW one ?

Yes, the Porsche Cayenne and VW Tourag are on the same platform. The Audi Q7 will be too, albeit stretched.

The Tourag looks a lot better than the Porsche IMO.
So Porsche are integrating themselves into VW

I think I read somewhere that no one can own VW outright and so it would appear that Porsche are going down the road of platform sharing as well so can be included in the list of Audi/VW/Skoda etc

Just think, my new Octavia in 10 years time could be a poor mans Porsche

Yes dream on chilly my friend, imagine what a new Porsche will be like in 10 years time

(ok it will probably look the same as the ones they have now, they only seem to have 1 page in the design book or possibly only enough disk space for one autocad drawing.)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
(ok it will probably look the same as the ones they
have now, they only seem to have 1 page in the
design book or possibly only enough disk space for one autocad drawing.)

no, they have space for two drawings: one with roof and one without. Somehow they get three cars out of it!
Has anybody else noticed the duplicity in the VAG range? Audi, Porsche, VW, Seat and Skoda all produce models that compete with each other for sales in the same sector of the market.>>

This is nonsense and careful examination of the different types of buyers' markets that each VW marque sets out to serve - and the price ranges involved - will soon reveal the obvious.

VW marketing strategy

Expensive with High Image
Audi
Sectors small, medium, large executive, SUV

Quality middle tier
VW
Sectors supermini, small, medium, Large executive, SUV MPV

Affordable family Motoring
Skoda.
Sectors small, medium, large executive

Affordable stylish sporty
Seat
sectors supermini, small, medium. MPV

It seems they have all sectors and targets covered. Some of it fails (ie Phaeton because an audi for same money has more class)
but all in all it works. You dont get caught without product in any one area and platform sharing and component bin swapping keeps it all affordable.

Lot of management time required to keep it all in the air though
If they take eye off ball it will all collide and tumble badly. Produce one bad platform and you screw all your target sectors in some way or other

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>VW marketing strategy>>

I couldn't have presented it better myself.
It also shows the anomolies a bit as well.

Seat should not have had the MPV, Should have been badged Skoda.

The Superb is wrong, there is no sector in that target market.

Phaeton, obviously wrong badge.
All do not sell in the required numbers.

They should have learned that when you try and cover the next target up frorm the wrong brand it dont work.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
It also shows the anomolies a bit as well.
Seat should not have had the MPV, Should have been badged
Skoda.

Interesting. The Alhambra's not especially sporty, but what fullsize MPV is? Never occured to me that one. I guess when it was launched, Skoda still had some way to go, they were still selling the Felicia and the Octavia only came out on a S plate. Maybe they thought it too risky to have a MPV as a brand rebuilder?
The Superb is wrong, there is no sector in that target
market.

VAG acknowledged this and apparently it won't be replaced. i read in the same article that it was considered the Lupo / Arosa should be a Skoda as a budget ciy car and the A2 wouldn't be replaced either. But we know the latter already.

Phaeton, obviously wrong badge.
All do not sell in the required numbers.

Over to "large (not Mercedes) car" thread. Maybe it should have been a mini Bentley?
They should have learned that when you try and cover the
next target up frorm the wrong brand it dont work.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - colinh
"..A2 wouldn't be replaced either"

Autocar 15Mar06 - New A2 will be developed alongside the next Seat Ibiza...probably made in Spain...both based on Polo platform...due in 2008....a conventional replacement for the radical old A2
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Sofa Spud
VW share platforms, engines and running gear between the different brands, just allowing different bodywork, interiors etc.

British Leyland had competing divisions that shared little technology -e.g. - Rover / Triumph / Jaguar. Conversely also BL indulged in blatant badge engineering whereby near-identical models were sold as different brands, with just grilles/trim differences: E.g. Jaguar XJ6 / Daimler Sovereign or at an earlier stage the former BMC side sold the 1100/1300 as an Austin, Morris, MG, Wolseley, Riley and Vanden Plas! Absurd!

VW group makes attractive, well-built cars - they can afford to make one or two bloopers without going to the wall. VW nearly did go to the wall in the late 70's, when all they had to offer were Beetles, 'modern' looking Beetle derivatives and a poor selling watercooled FWD car, the K70. The Golf literally saved VW.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Roly93
VW share platforms, engines and running gear between the different brands,
just allowing different bodywork, interiors etc.
British Leyland had competing divisions that shared little technology -e.g. -
Rover / Triumph / Jaguar. Conversely also BL indulged in
blatant badge engineering whereby near-identical models were sold as different brands,
with just grilles/trim differences: E.g. Jaguar XJ6 / Daimler Sovereign
or at an earlier stage the former BMC side sold the
1100/1300 as an Austin, Morris, MG, Wolseley, Riley and Vanden Plas!
Absurd!
VW group makes attractive, well-built cars - they can afford to
make one or two bloopers without going to the wall.
VW nearly did go to the wall in the late 70's,
when all they had to offer were Beetles, 'modern' looking Beetle
derivatives and a poor selling watercooled FWD car, the K70.
The Golf literally saved VW.

Wasn't it the K70 which had a wankel rotary engine also ?
Wasn't it the K70 which had a wankel rotary engine also
?

No that was the larger blobbier Ro80. The K in K70 stands for Kolben or Piston in German.

source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_K70
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - JH
Chris,
I'm stunned! What is your basis for comparison? The BL cars differed only in the badge on the bonnet, unless the badge said "Riley" or "Wolseley", in which case a bid of wood veneer appeared on the dashboard or some strange little wings appeared at the rear. The VW group cars share many components, notably the platform and engines, but otherwise look completely different, not to mention being priced significantly differently. The BL cars were usually within about £50 of one another.

Further differences; BL management and the relationship with the unions, profitablity, decent engines and a wide range of engines, good build quality, a sought after product, oh - and they're still in business and making stonking profits whereas BL couldn't get along without Honda to develop new products for them, then BMW to underwrite them, then the famous 4 or however many there are, and then there were none.

If you're looking for the next BL try GM. When even your finance division loses money that's serious. I was amazed to read they lost $2bn last year. That's a big settee. Then I read on and found that they'd actually lost $2bn more than they'd previously said, taking to total to (I think) $12bn!

No, VAG are going to be one of the survivors. Them and Toyota.
JH
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
'Has anybody else noticed the duplicity in the VAG range? Audi, Porsche, VW, Seat and Skoda all produce models that compete with each other for sales in the same sector of the market.

When British Leyland did this they went bankrupt. What's to stop VAG going the same way?'

Duplication- perhaps- but dealerships are not exactly next door selling near identical products. VW Audi had a blood letting some years ago which led to former Audi/VW combinations shutting up. Round my way, North Derbyshire, VW and Audi are very separate.
In my experience Audi, VW and Skoda are quite different experiences to sit in. The badge engineered BL range did have the leather seats and walnut dashboard to give a completely different environment . Travel First Class by British Riley. There was a slogan.
The Dolomite/ Maxi/Princess/Ital engines albeit of similar capacity were entirely different designs surely IIRC?
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Aprilia
I think VAG have confused things slightly just recently by using an Audi-style grille on the new Passat. A couple of times I've seen what I thought was an Audi estate and it turned out to be a Passat estate.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Welliesorter
The difference is VAG introduced platform sharing at the earliest opportunity. BL had competing models that it had inherited from the companies it absorbed without the benefit of economies of scale.

Will VAG go the same way as BL? - type's'
Just read an article in May's edition of Car magazine entitled: VW hits the panic button. It seems that their cars are far to expensive to build (hence the high prices as well) compared to other manufacturers and sales are down 100k units on the previous year.
According to the article it takes 50 hours to build a golf with most other equivalent hatch backs taking between 15 and 26 hours.
I share some of the views on this forum that VW will not go the same way as BL - but it is worth remembering how much trouble Ford and GM are in at the moment.
Wellie,
that's only true to a limited degree. It doesn't acount for the Morris Oxford / Austin Cambridge / MG Magnette / Wolseley wostits / Van deb Plas thingummy / and I think there was a Riley too. I'm thinking of the final Cambridge / Oxford models.

The same theme comtinued when the Mini, 1100/1300 and others appeared. And as someone pointed out earlier, there were more dealers in any one town than you could shake a stick at, all selling "different" (ha ha) cars. And that blasted A series engine kept on appearing every time a new car came out. Oh, and when they brought out a new model they never dropped the one it replaced. I never did figure that out.
JH
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - mrmender
Oh,
and when they brought out a new model they never dropped
the one it replaced. I never did figure that out.
JH

Yes very true they had the morris minor going on and on in direct competion to there best seller the 1100/1300
A lot has been mentioned of platform sharing something BL wern't good at.... no but they used to share doors... the 1800 doors were common with maxi & 3 litre thats why it's said the maxi looks so bad as it was designed around being able to fit the 1800's doors
Also who can forget the carp Marina door handles which went on & on to until 1998 on the Disco
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Marc
Weren't those door handles also used on the Lotus Eclat/Elite
>>that blasted A series engine>>

The A-Series was generally an easy to work on unit that rarely, at least in the cars I owned or worked on for family and friends, gave trouble.

The 1100/1300 models offered a remarkable amount of interior room, especially in the rear, while the big 1800s (original and later Princess) were Tardis like in that respect.

The Maxi may not have been the prettiest or most reliable car you could acquire but, again, its carrying capacity was exceptional. A pal who had one used to put his bike in the boot on trips out into the country.

However an Austin Princess once owned by my father is still the only vehicle I've come across that developed a rust hole in the roof...:-)
Stuart,

"The A-Series was generally an easy to work on unit that rarely, at least in the cars I owned or worked on for family and friends, gave trouble"

true, and some credit must go to the engineers who kept it going in car after car, but it was well past it's best before date.

JH
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Roberson
The A-series wasn't that bad an engine. I read that BMC/BL/ARG kept it because it was quite a fuel efficient and flexible unit and the cost of developing something with similar characteristics was expensive and not always as good. One thing is for sure, it was better than the OHV Ford (Kent?)unit which soldiered on for just as long. At least the A-series didn't sound as if was running out of oil all the time or mimicking a pair of castanets!

"The Dolomite/ Maxi/Princess/Ital engines albeit of similar capacity were entirely different designs surely IIRC?"

Yes, I think they were. However, the Princess/Ital both used the O-Series units.

VAG, go the same way as BL? Nah, not for a while yet anyway.
The K-Series engine which arrived in 1989 was - and probably still is - quite an advanced engine design, especially the very long bolts that were used in its assembly.

The 1.4-litre unit produced 95bhp which was superior to many 1.6-litre units of the time and even later.
I know, I had one :-) You had to be 2 gears lower tham you might expect though, torque wasn't good. I believe later models took the bhp up to 105.
JH
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - blue_haddock
I believe later models took the bhp up to 105.

The Metro 1.4 GTi with multi point injection had 105 bhp and was quite a nippy little thing.
An advanced head gasket mangler. Funily enough caused by having very long bolts used in its assembly.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - 659FBE
The K series and its derivatives are certainly gasket blowers - the Chinese are welcome to it. The cause is certainly not due to the long bolts; in fact their elasticity helps to keep the assembly preloaded. Gardner knew how to do this on their 'bus engines.

The gasket failures are due to poor detail engineering of the liner pre-loads and tolerances, leading to firing ring fretting. The cooling system is additionally marginal in respect of circulating volumes, leading to the rapid development of hot spots when the engine has been in service for a while. If you put a bandsaw through a 10 year old engine, the waterways always have a very poor surface condition which can impede cooling. On a good engine, this level of degradation of the circulation is taken into account at the design stage. Rover did not have the experienced designers to expedite these small, but vital details.

Will VAG go the same way as BL? - 659FBE
But VW nearly blotted their cooling system copy books with a plastic water pump impeller, which could not contain the expansion forces of the (rusting) steel shaft. At least the re-design is cheap in this case, although of little help to the afflicted.

Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Chris S
It seems that this has crossed VW's mind as well:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/67626/vw_wields_axe_in_...l
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - stevied
In reply to the earlier MPV comments, I think the allusion was not purely to the Alhambra (Sharalaxy).

The Altea is one-box, the new Leon has gone from being a modern Alfasud (IMHO) to a one box leaden piece of nonsense and the Toledo makes the Vel Satis look pretty.

Going to another point, Audi and VW are the two lead brands in VAG group and are responsible between them for the other brands in the group. Eg Audi runs Bugatti, VW runs Skoda etc. etc.

Clear as mud. : )
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Chad.R
......Audi and VW are the two lead brands in VAG group and
are responsible between them for the other brands in the
group. Eg Audi runs Bugatti, VW runs Skoda etc. etc.

Who runs Bentley?
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - stevied
VW.
Will VAG go the same way as BL? - Sofa Spud
I suppose that if ever VW does hit really hard times it might rationalise its budget brands and either Skoda or Seat or both might disappear. Perhaps the current ugly Seat styling is a ploy to reduce popularity in the hope that customers buy VWs or Skodas instead!!!