Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - runboy
Read this in the local rag:

tinyurl.com/eaz9y

The article says the Focus is an A-reg.....strange I thought....then I saw the picture in the paper and it is a East Anglia registered car hence AU53! Doh!

Anyway, interesting story and I do wonder what happens in these cases where a part fails-what does Ford have to do? Anything? Take the car back and strip it down? If it is a recall issue they would have to act soon.

Ultimately it could have been a one-off however.
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - mfarrow
It's a one-off.

I don't get what happened though, thoughout the article the fuel tank either "dropped off", "was on the ground", or "dropped slightly" depending on which part of the article you read!

As for it exploding - it's a good job it was a plastic tank! Also a full tank is a lot safer than a tank full of fumes. If you can't always ignite fuel by exposing it to several hundred degrees celcius, compressing it with an accurately measured quantity of air, then putting a spark to it, they would have been unlucky if the tank had exploded.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - Stuartli
No doubt if it had been a VW Group product the "I told you so" voices would have piped up...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - bell boy
it was a jersey car so probably ex hire, anything could have been done to it in its time on the island or before it was punted off in this country.Instead of the scaremongering by the reporters the couple should get an independant inspection of the car instead of moaning to ford that a bolt wasnt right.
Another case of the motor trade being all wrong me thinks when not justified.
discuss...............
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - Adam {P}
I know I'm bound to say this given I own one but this 66 year old woman is screaming out for a recall and Ford have (can't quite believe I'm saying this) understandably said "Go whistle".

How many Focuses have been sold worldwide.

How many Focuses have you heard of this happening to?

As Mike says - you start off thinking it's dropped it's tank on the road and then end up reading it's still attached.

Oldman and I sometimes don't see eye to eye but I'm with him 100% on this. And before you go thinking I'm biased, I'd be with pretty much any other manufacturer on this issue too.
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - Imagos
This reminds me of the early Mondeos that (alledgedly) pulled to the left.

Driven literally hundreds of these and it never happened to me.

It it a coincidence that in the Mondeos case it was mainly elderly owners who have no engineering knowledge who complained?

Full marks to Ford to brushing this aside.

Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - runboy
Good point on the Jersey thing-if it was from there, why have a 'local' number plate (local to Norfolk)? Could it have been registered here then shipped out, or bought from there but with a different number plate? But then why re-register it on the mainland?
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - L'escargot
There are several inconsistencies in the newspaper article, and it sounds as if the incident was blown up out of all proportion. It won't alter my confidence in the integrity of my Focus one iota.
--
L\'escargot.
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - cheddar
IIRC cars that are used as hire vehicles in the Channel Islands have island specific local plates and are then put onto UK type plates when/if they are sold on the mainland.
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - henry k
IIRC cars that are used as hire vehicles in the Channel Islands have island specific local plates and are then put onto UK type plates when/if they are sold on the mainland.

>>
Sure do. They have a big H added to the plate.
Known locally as HORROR cars.
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - henry k
Normal Jersey plates look like
www.olavsplates.com/foto/gbj_j3950.jpg
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - Altea Ego
Early mondeos did pull to the left. Only if you took your hands off the wheel..

Watchdog got hold of it, and of course they suddenly became lethal.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - Lud
Didn't they just tend to run down the road camber like all other cars?
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - machika
No doubt if it had been a VW Group product the
"I told you so" voices would have piped up...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by

Ditto French car.
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - Altea Ego
My Renault wasn't unreliable enough so I got a VW

Still cant make the thing break down.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - Tomo
Well, it would be a blighter if Toad's tank fell off at low speed - say < 130 - or even at relatively high speed, which is the best he can do.
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - L'escargot
Well, it would be a blighter if Toad's tank fell off ...

Toad of Toad Hall?
--
L\'escargot.
Ford Focus fuel tank fell off! - Pugugly {P}

Toad of Toad Hall?

I'm sure he's here somewhere...