road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Unusual Autos
The new road tax costs just make a joke of the law and labour goverment in this county

how can you tax a car on its emissons when new (ie whats on the log book).
So a three year old 100,000 worn out 4x4 or similar can be taxed for the same money as a new one ?,when the old one is clearly smoking it self to an early grave but just scrapes thru a MOT each year.
What about the blasted Buses and Lorries that fill the air with rubbish
Also i belive they should tax it on egine size not emissons anything over 2litre ,tax the thing sky high so only people who really need a 2litre car bother
We no longer need cars in this country which can do 200mph and most cars even small hatchbacks can do 100mph easily when the speed limit is 70mph!
There is another answer to get people out of cars ,give affordable public transport that is pleasant to use

The M25 between junction 9-14 has remained the same congested carpark since completion of roadworks and its only going to get worse
got any good ideas ?

ROAD TAX A JOKE NOT WORTH SHARING - BobbyG
Feel better for getting that off your chest now?
ROAD TAX A JOKE NOT WORTH SHARING - Civic8
I think its been done to try and get older cars/vans off the road,much as really been expected, trying to get some to buy lower emmissions vehicles.

Nothing really new,as its been on the cards and mentioned so many times before,Not so far seen what effect it has on certain older motors in respect of tax increase but suspect some motors will have to pay more,Possibly nothing to do with 4x4`s on xtra band as others will be in the same group??
--
Steve
ROAD TAX A JOKE NOT WORTH SHARING - Dynamic Dave
My road tax has gone up £25 (165 to £190)

Works out at £2.08 a month. am I bothered? No, not really.

Far cheaper to keep and continue running, than it is to trade it in and loose money on it.

That aside, a colleagues 1.3 Ford Fiesta's RFL has also risen in price. So therefore it's not just the larger engined cars that are being targetted by this extra duty - but also smaller engined ones with high emmissions.
ROAD TAX A JOKE NOT WORTH SHARING - Stuartli
I think its been done to try and get older cars/vans off the road........ trying to get some to buy lower emmissions vehicles.>>

Do you really think a modest increase in VED would achieve either purpose?

The slight VED rise (at least to owners) of 4x4 vehicles and, to get it right, some of the large luxury cars that have higher emissions, is a sop to those filled with envy at the thought of anyone owning such vehicles.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
>>Do you really think a modest increase in VED would achieve either purpose?

Possibly to those that have bought one (keeping up with the neighbours)and cannot really afford one-struggling to make ends meet

--
Steve
ROAD TAX A JOKE NOT WORTH SHARING - Stuartli
>>struggling to make ends meet>>

It works out at less than £1 a week.

In any case if they have bought one just to keep up with the Joneses, then I have absolutely no sympathy.
>>In any case if they have bought one just to keep up with the Joneses, then I have absolutely no sympathy.

Nor me,but know some that have and are worried about keeping it going Tax or not,some are fuel thirsty and are taxing income to run!

--
Steve
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Roberson
What about the blasted Buses and Lorries that fill the air
with rubbish

I always find that a strange tilt on this argument. A bus can carry 70-75 people and still put out relatively the same amount of pollutants. If those 75 people we all to use a car for the same journey, the emissions output I imagine would be significantly greater, even if they were using 1.0 pint-pot cars. Similarly, if the payload of a lorry was put into a fleet of Berlingo vans, they too would probably produce more pollution than the lorry. Not forgetting the extra amount of road space for both of these examples. I may be wrong, but that?s how I view it.
There is another answer to get people out of cars ,give
affordable public transport that is pleasant to use

Well I use it, only because it IS cheaper and in some cases more convenient than a car for commuting. I agree that this would be a tremendous help for congestion, but some of those who live many miles from their workplace can't use it. Cheap and pleasant public transport wont fix everything. You need to get the 'looser cruiser' image out of people?s heads. Similarly, those with the 'I have a car, I?m gonna use it hell or high water' and the 'I don't want to sit next to other people incase i catch a cold or leprosy? mentality wont be interested neither, and there is probably more of them than you'd think. If you can do something with these people and the price/quality of public transport in some places, then we might be on to something. Whoever thought of privatising PT has a lot to answer for, in fact that very same person once said ?Any man who rides a bus to work after the age of 30 can count himself a failure in life??..
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Civic8
those with the 'I have a car, I?m gonna use it hell or high water'

TBH why shoudnt they,it costs enough to keep a car. PT needs a lot to be desired anyway during rush hour.

drivers of these vehicles are on bonus so are wreckless,those passengers that cannot move very fast are thrown around to find very uncomfortable seats and given little time to find them as vehicle moves off so fast,Would need a lot to convert me to PT cheaper to drive where I need to go with less agro
--
Steve
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Stuartli
>>Cheap and pleasant public transport wont fix everything>>

We have an excellent bus service in my town - every 10 minutes during the day where I live - and I have a pass entitling me to free travel over a very wide area.

Even so I still use my car most of the time for the simple fact that the buses don't always go where I want or I have to catch at least two in both directions.

I can be there and back in the time involved by bus and, in the case of the weekly Tesco shopping trip (four bus rides), would mean humping several very heavy Tesco bags home.
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Hamsafar
According to government's own data, buses carry 8 passengers per average mile. This is because they carry so much redundancy. When you drive to work unlike a bus you park your car, your car doesn't keep driving to and from home with no-one in it.
The overall pollution from a bus compared to petrol car was around 250x about 6 years ago, mostly, this was particulates.

"I always find that a strange tilt on this argument. A bus can carry 70-75 people and still put out relatively the same amount of pollutants. If those 75 people we all to use a car for the same journey, the emissions output I imagine would be significantly greater, even if they were using 1.0 pint-pot cars. Similarly, if the payload of a lorry was put into a fleet of Berlingo vans, they too would probably produce more pollution than the lorry. Not forgetting the extra amount of road space for both of these examples. I may be wrong, but that?s how I view it. "
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Baskerville
>According to government's own data, buses carry 8 passengers per average mile. This is because they carry so much redundancy. When you drive to work unlike a bus you park your car, your car doesn't keep driving to and from home with no-one in it.

Hmm. So you want to have the 8 passengers per average mile and have the "it's running empty a lot of the time." That won't wash my friend. Either buses run at 8ppm, or they don't. Which is it?

(a modern single decker does about 10 mpg and isn't affected much by load. Do the math.)
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - BazzaBear {P}
Hmm. So you want to have the 8 passengers per average
mile and have the "it's running empty a lot of the
time." That won't wash my friend. Either buses run at 8ppm,
or they don't. Which is it?

In what way are the two mutually exclusive?
If it's running empty a lot of the time, but then on a couple of runs per day it's full, that could easily average out at 8 passengers per trip.
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - teabelly
If you are going to properly compare modes of transport you need to compare pollution per passenger mile using actual passenger data not work it out on numbers of seats as they won't always be full. I do notice they always quote pollution for PT at full capacity and cars are always said to be one person or just over one person in the claim that 'that is always how they are' conveniently forgetting buses are often half empty. I don't think the greenies would like the result as it would often show cars were less polluting per mile than buses and trains so people should use their car to be green. For little used services then taking the car will always be greener. The irony is the government are always pointing us to off peak public transport journeys which is when they are the most pollution causing.... Cars don't drive around empty either. Someone should do a real world pollution study of mileage of a bus in a week and the same mileage in someone's car and work out per person carried per minute what the relative pollution levels are. I bet it would be very interesting.

The issue of catching infections on PT is a serious problem. Those that use it have more infections and suffer more stress than those that commute by car. I wonder how many works days are lost due to colds etc caught on a bus or train?

teabelly
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Baskerville
Well I use it, only because it IS cheaper and in
some cases more convenient than a car for commuting.

I agree. I use it for this reason too. And at some way over 30 I doubt many people would consider me a failure (well, my mother loves me anyway). With public transport I can guarantee I can be at my place of work in 45 minutes. Now it's true that I do this journey only a couple of days a week, but I've been delayed once in six years, by about ten minutes. By car it takes between 35 and 90 minutes. It can't be predicted. And since the reason I make this journey is often so that I can talk to a room with upwards of 50 people waiting for me, it's important I'm on time.
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - v0n
I live 34 miles from my workplace in London. I do av. of 340 miles a week, 1450 miles a month purely for commuting. And my journeys to work and back cost me on average £135 a month in fuel. The cheapest possible public transport from Medway to London is season ticket which works out over £230 a month plus whatever zone 1&2 underground travel card works out nowadays. Case for public transport closed.
--------------------
[Nissan dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - LeePower
All I can say is thanks to Gordon Brown my yearly tax disc has gone DOWN £5.

£100 a year suits me fine, Thanks Gordon.
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Bromptonaut
I live 34 miles from my workplace in London. I do
av. of 340 miles a week, 1450 miles a month purely
for commuting. And my journeys to work and back cost me
on average £135 a month in fuel. The cheapest possible public
transport from Medway to London is season ticket which works out
over £230 a month plus whatever zone 1&2 underground travel card
works out nowadays. Case for public transport closed.

Presume you have free parking.

I live 70 miles from my office. Annual rail season Northampton to Euston is £3400, ninety minutes door to door. Read, sleep or plan day on train. Car to station, bike or foot at the London end. Car commute would be anything from ninety minutes to three hours. Parking, eg NCP, nearly as much as the rail season. Arrive knackered, fall asleep and die on way home.

Case for PT wide open.
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Adam {P}
>. A bus can carry 70-75 people<<

I know it's been commented on already but I've never been on a bus with even half those numbers on.
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - AlastairW
Clearly Adam you never travel at peak time. If you did, you would have done.
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Adam {P}
I used to get 4 buses a day when I was at school all at peak times!!!

I must have lived in a small town!
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Engineer Andy
I believe the issue can be broken down into three separate areas:

1. Commuting in rural areas or between towns away from large cities;
2. Commuting into (from suburbs) and around large cities;
3. Travelling long distances across the country.

For the past two years I travelled from Hertfordshire into central London to work - no point in using my car as it would take too long, would cost more than the Annual Travelcard and parking is almost a joke now. What I did find strange was how much more expensive it was just one or two stops further out. I noticed that many commuters travelled in from these towns to my station as it was cheaper than buying the ticket at their station. Not really much encouragement for people to use their local station.

I now travel across the county to work (about 35 miles on mostly motorways) - this takes about 45-50mins on a good day, occasionally up to 80mins if a serious accident occures (about once a fortnight). Petrol cost about £170 per month. The quickest journey by PT would take a minimum 90mins (assuming all 5 interchanges went smoothly!) and cost over £300 a month. It would also invlove travelling into then out of London to get there!

Again, for long-distance travel, it depends the complexity of the PT route, and the reason for travelling.

This all shows unless there is blaket PT coverage (not possible due to cost) in non-city areas, private transport is a MUST. That does not mean people should be responsible when making journeys (no 200yd trips to the newsagent 'cos its raining'!)

Where PT is viable (in cities), it should be made more user-friendly and have a common-sense outlook (better routing and siting of bus stops). Most seating on commuter trains and buses are too small (OK for women size 8 & under and small kids only) and too close together (no leg room for anyone taller than 5ft 8ins). They become like Doctor's surgeries on a Monday morning - a great place to pick up whatever's 'going around' at your local school. I once sat in front of a man who had been smoking extremely strong cigarettes and was gagging for the entire bus journey (30mins)! I have also noticed that I haven't had a single cold/virus since I started to use my car for commuting again.
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Chris M
& the £95 saving covers all the costs of servicing, tyres, oil, depreciation..........?

Chris M
Servicing and depreciation cost would still be present if the car stood on my driveway all day long.

Let me put it in perspective:
- on one hand air conditioned car, coffee in travel jug, Nick Ferrari on the radio.
- on the other hand almost twice more expensive seat on South Eastern orient express to Waterloo, fight my way to Underground in rush hour, cheap perfumes and sweaty armpits, rat maze of corridors, freezing train platforms, spit on floors and chewing gum stuck to posters and handles..
.. ouch I'm tired even thinking of it.

I didn't move out of London to re-live horrors of Livinstonian Utopia every morning and pay over the odds for it.

--------------------
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Engineer Andy
Servicing and depreciation cost would still be present if the car
stood on my driveway all day long.
Let me put it in perspective:
- on one hand air conditioned car, coffee in travel jug,
Nick Ferrari on the radio.
- on the other hand almost twice more expensive seat on
South Eastern orient express to Waterloo, fight my way to Underground
in rush hour, cheap perfumes and sweaty armpits, rat maze of
corridors, freezing train platforms, spit on floors and chewing gum stuck
to posters and handles..
.. ouch I'm tired even thinking of it.
I didn't move out of London to re-live horrors of Livinstonian
Utopia every morning and pay over the odds for it.

I totally agree (almost!) - I prefer Simon Bates on Classic fm - nice and relaxing to take my mind off the idiot white van men, repmobiles and yorkie brigade who all believe they are God's gift to driving. Also Radio 5 Live in the evening drive home (can't stand that Campbell fellow in the morning!).
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Chris M
15,000 extra miles per year must increase depreciation, an extra service and half a set of tyres. I'm not critising your choice of how to get to work, just your mathematics for justifying it.

I commuted into London by train for twenty years and would never have considered driving. Fortunately, I moved south and now drive 18 miles in 25 minutes. Much nicer!

Chris M
It's very easy to justify, even if I drove absolute fuel guzzling dissaster and couldn't save a penny on my journey (and that's not possible with trains and PT before 10am in South East being the most expensive method of traveling in Europe). I do my shoppings en route, collect packets from Post office depo if I need to, drop off friends, pick up my girlfriend if she finishes early. After 8 years on trains and PT I swear, I have never, ever felt as happy and as good about commuting as I do now, driving in my car to work.

Commuting from South east, anywhere between Canterbury and Darford to places like Canary Wharf, Bank or even Old Street is always faster, easier and cheaper by car, even with bottleneck of Blackwall tunnel on the way. And if you could actually work from 10:30 to 6:30 I promise you you'd be driving through almost completely empty streets, give or take few stops to give way to bendy busses stuck on tight corners and roundabouts.

--------------------
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Vin {P}
"Also i belive they should tax it on egine size not emissons anything over 2litre ,tax the thing sky high so only people who really need a 2litre car bother "

My friend's Corsa 1.3 (?) Automatic does fewer miles per gallon than my Omega 2.5 Automatic. Your logic is?

V
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - Unusual Autos
My friend's Corsa 1.3 (?) Automatic does fewer miles per gallon than my Omega 2.5 Automatic. Your logic is?

I thick theres something wrong with the corsa unless you drive everywhere flat out!

jokes aside i was asking for comments on the budget increase not
how you justify your drive to work !We have gone way of the topic

How to do get people out of cars ?
Do make them so expensive only the rich can afford them as in the 30s-60s or do we tax the mileage we drive ,the only real way to do this is to put a stealth tax on fuel ,so people think twice about making journeys that could be done by Public transport or walking etc

road tax a joke - not worth sharing - madf
Public transport as a means of travelling>20 miles is all very well and good if you are travelling to and from London.. which many above appear to do.

Try travelling cross country from East to West.. Or anywhere else unconnected with London bt one North and one South.

It's a real pita.

And then people wonder why no-one travelled to see the Dome.. and others wonder why Wembley is being built in London at twice the costs and time as anywhere else (See Cardiff)..

I forget: our rulers live and work in London.. That's all right then..:-(
madf
> How to do get people out of cars ?

Why would you want to in the first place?
Modern EU3/EU4 compliant car, even on single person journey is most efficient and least polutant method of long distance traveling per mile bar none.
--------------------
Modern EU3/EU4 compliant car, even on single person journey is most
efficient and least polutant method of long distance traveling per mile
bar none.

I be intrigued to know the source of that fact.
>I be intrigued to know the source of that fact.

Oh, well, there we go then:

Average 1 person in Ford Focus TDCI
release of co2/km per single person travel - 128g
release of NOx/km per single person travel - below 0.10g
average fuel consumption - 5.6l/100km

London transport quotes 8 people on average per km of bus run in London

Volvo B7TL Double Decker
release of co2/km total 1,406g
release of NOx/km total 12.3g
release of co2/km per single person travel - 175.75g
release of NOx/km per single person travel ~ 1.53g
average fuel consumption - 6.75l/100km (54.03 l/100km total)

Mercedes Citaro Artic (so called bendy bus)
release of co2/km total 1585.7
release of NOx/km total 13.61
release of co2/km per single person travel - 198.21g
release of NOx/km per single person travel ~ 1.70g
average fuel consumption per single person journey - 7.48 l /100km (total of 59.82 l/100km)
(not to count 18 metre lenght on the street)

Trains appear clean, because they don't produce localised emissions, however the power doesn't come out of nowhere, only The Guardian noticed that so far, quoting trains to be more polutant per single person journey than cars nowadays...

--------------------
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - PhilW
v0n
Interesting post and figures - may I ask where you found them?
Thanks
--
Phil
> Interesting post and figures - may I ask where you found them?

Google up gov sponsored research document called "Emissions performance of buses powered by engines conforming to Euro 3 emissions legislation", it has emission figures for all the buses.

Few more insteresting figures from various TFL reports i found in my press releases bin:

- TFL statistics document for 2005 states that average cost of 1 km journey on London bus in 2004 (so, that's before cash prices for tourists and non Oyster card passengers rose to £1.50 and kids were let in for free) was 13p or 16.4p for 1km travelled on underground.

1km travel in Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi I used in example would cost 0.05p (5.6litres * 0.92p per litre for 100km journey).

- According to "congestion charge 6 months on" progress report buses gained additional 15,000 passengers a day and average bus journey time was reduced by 7 per cent after introduction of Congestion Charge. Think about it for a second:
On one hand 7% reduction in bus journey time, 12,5 minutes instead of 14 from Green Park to Trafalgar Square...
On the other hand 110,000 - 130,000 drivers a day pay £8 CC fee Can anyone justify stealing £880.000 from private pockets just so TFL can earn extra £15,000 in bus fares??? And there is also issue of sales drop inside CC zone - John Lewis reported 8% sales loss immediately after introduction of the charge for example...

- There are 24.700 active taxis registered in London area. One for every 290 Londoners.
--------------------
Oh yeah, and one more funny fact:
Vehicles with 9 or more seats have 100% discount from Congestion Charging. Which means the longest version of Land Rover Defender and biggest version of Toyota Landcruiser is exempt from CC...
--------------------
v0n

As somebody above, it’s your choice to commute by car but if you’re ignoring parking and using the numbers quoted so far you’re kidding yourself that it’s cheaper or more eco-friendly. In central London you need to add the congestion toll as well.

Transport for London figures for third quarter 2005/6 show 2181 million bus passenger km travelled and 137.25 million vehicle km operated, suggesting pax per vehicle km nearer to 16 than 8. Peak time/central zone will be significantly higher.

Average occupancy of a car is 1.3, fuel consumption in a predominantly urban journey will be worse than quoted above. The urban figure for a 2.0 TDCi Focus is 7.4 l/100km.

True, and quite appalling, modern inter city diesel trains (e.g. Virgin Voyagers) are so lardy and overladen with ancillaries, that they have fuel consumption for load factor little better than a car. However since it is well known that one always stands on a train the actual performance per passenger carried should be much, much better!!.

Too many assumptions about power station fuel, grid transmission losses, distances coasted and effects of regenerative braking to make a meaningful guess about electric trains.
I don't have to "kid myself" that commuting by car is cheaper, I know it. I feel it in my pocket. I live it. And it is massive difference. For the past 12 months I also drop my brother off to work so our commuting is even more efficient. Yes, I was in a lucky osition that I could choose workplace with cheap parking option available. The other offer at the time was middle of Soho and I wouldn't even try parking anywhere near central london, although I would still probably drive to London and change to a bus.

As for eco-friendliness, think about it - I'm not talking about driving from east London to central London - I would have to drive to station, take train, switch to 3 tube trains or two buses. It's not going to be cheaper, faster or more eco-friendly no matter how hard public transport tries.
Plus I don't really care about eco-friendliness anymore. According to Greater London Authority some 70% of London’s CO2 emissions come from powering London’s buildings 24/7 and only less than 20% is caused by motor traffic. If Mayor's target is to replace all old, convenient, small footprint, hop on, hop off doubledeckers which used to release 931.12g of CO2 per km with 18 metre long bendy buses that puff out nearly twice as much polutants then surely neither congestion on the roads nor vehicle emissions are the biggest concern to the city anymore. My EU3 compliant Almera won't do capital any more harm than Ken himself.

And until someone starts pushing train and bus operators to modernise and drop prices the car will remain the most convenient, cheapest and cleanest method of long distance transportation.

--------------------
"jokes aside i was asking for comments on the budget increase not
how you justify your drive to work !We have gone way of the topic "

I didn't go an inch off topic! I directly addressed your point that cars over 2l should be banned effectively.

"How to do get people out of cars ?"

You're begging the question. Why the hell should we want to?

V
"I thick theres something wrong with the corsa unless you drive everywhere flat out!"

Not necessarily. Fuel consumption versus engine size can come up with some odd results. A relaxed 2.5 litre engine isn't necessarily going to use more fuel than an overstressed smaller engine fighting through an ill-matched autobox.

You mention cars capable of 200 mph. Well, mine's capable of 140 or so. That means it's more comfortable at 70-80 (the sped I actually drive) than a Perodua Nippa being thrashed within an inch of its life. Why do you want people not to be allowed to drive comfortable cars? 90% of my mileage is on business. Is it better for me to arrive unstressed and relaxed, or wound up by thrashing a smaller engine? If you've never tried it, hire a car with a much bigger engine than yours. Drive it at the same speeds as you drive yours and see if you arrive more or less relaxed at your destination. Then tell me that cars above 2 litres should effectively be banned.

The logical end point of your argument is that everyone ends up driving Trabants. After all, who needs more than that? No-one.

V
road tax a joke - not worth sharing - MW
It is all a crazy argument anyway. Put the tax on petrol and those that use a lot of it, will pay a lot of the tax. Simple. Also no avoidance.,