BMW 530d E60 - Winter Operation - engineer
I have a 2 year old 530d E60, approx 50K miles - first start in the morning, in very cold weather, I get a strange 'tinkling' noise when I press the accelerator. Noise appears to be coming from behind the dashboard/front of car.

Noise eventually goes when the engine has warmed up.

Any ideas what this can be? Viscosity of diesel at low temperatures or something else in the fuel system or controls?

I use Shell, BP or Texaco diesel - no supermarket fuel.
BMW 530d E60 - Winter Operation - Dude - {P}
Just out of interest at what intervals are you changing your oil/filter ????

If you are on BMW`s extended oil change intervals (17 - 20k), it raises questions whether your oil filter may be becoming partially clogged with particulates and impeding initial oil circulation and hence the "tinkling" on start up on very cold mornings.

It is advisable in extremely cold weather to just let the engine tick over for a couple of minutes anyway before moving off.

You may care to read H.J`s excellent advice on oil change intervals, bearing in mind that these extended oil change are merely to appease fleet sales managers, with scant regard for long term engine welfare.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=13
BMW 530d E60 - Winter Operation - engineer
Much to my better judgement, the car is subject to the BMW 'on-condition' service intervals. Because I do a lot of long distance, motorway journeys the service interval is about 22K. Service not due for another 13K.

I always make a point of initial engine idle, followed by a gentle first few miles.

Noise goes when I lift off the accelerator or the engine fully warms up.
BMW 530d E60 - Winter Operation - Pugugly {P}
I have never experienced this on any of the 3.0litre diesels I've owned. Suggest that you pop to on a covert visit to a BMW indie. garage.
BMW 530d E60 - Winter Operation - Craig_1969
It could just be the auxillary heater which runs when its cold to heat the engine, mine is more of a chug chug and its located in the passenger wheel well area. Suggest you post on www.bmwland.co.uk