Diesel - III
I have just bought a new diesel but was wondering if there is there much difference between the diesel supplied by BP and Shell?

Thanks.
Diesel - trancer
No difference that I have noticed with my car. BP stations are more prevalent than Shell in my area if I had to find some sort of difference between them.
Diesel - AlanGowdy
I usually buy from a Shell garage - they sell their (supposedly) premium grade diesel at the same price as 'ordinary' stuff elsewhere. Last week I filled up with BP Ultimate and noticed absolutely no difference - except the price which was about 10 pence per litre more.
Diesel - adverse camber
Shell is usually cheaper.

Be VERY careful in BP stations - they use the same colour pumps for some petrol and diesel with the result that lots of motorists put the wrong fuel in their vehicles by accident.

Diesel - III
Thanks for that.

I think I will stick with Shell if there is no real difference.
Diesel - MoodyGit
I normally fill up at Tesco
I can't remember the last time a I actually went to a Shell garage
Diesel - daveyjp
Shell for me at the mo as it's 4p a litre cheaper than my nearest BP (which I won't use anyway due to pump colour confusion) and 2p cheaper than the supermarket.
Diesel - splash
Shell is normally cheaper, and I have not noticed any differnce between the two. I used to fill up with supermarket diesel, but following a very expensive pump rebuild, I was warned to use shell or texaco which both have additional lubricants. Another advantage of shell over supermarket is far less foam when filling. I can fill up in half the time with shell compared to my local supermarket.
Diesel - don111
Beware BP indeed. Passing a BP site recently I saw a very competitive price for disel. Later that day went in to top-up. Discovered that ultra had been used not regular. Price of ultra 4ppl > regular. The price sign at the edge of the site showed the lower regular grade price. The word regular had a lower intensity of light behind it! One can be bitten once but not twice by this dog! Location??? Dare I mention it?

don111
Diesel - Dynamic Dave
Location??? Dare I mention it?

Er, No.

DD.
Diesel - Roly93
Personally I think they are both good quality fuels, but I have a preferrence for Shell diesel.
I tried BP ultimate in my last car, there was no difference, a waste of money.
Diesel - Civic8
I have used all of them so far,and seen no difference between any of these.

Mine has done 151k---21k in my ownership approx mileage with no advantage whatsoever in make of fuel used,only difference I have noticed is in airtemp causing lower fuel consumption during colder weather.

Gets better as weather warms up.
--
Steve
Diesel - Altea Ego
Tesco or Morrisons is about the same, Sainsbury is slightly better.

Shell? BP? whodem?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Diesel - Group B
I've not noticed any difference using BP Ultimate diesel in my car, and there are no Shell garages near me.
I use Morrisons when I can, its cheaper to start with, plus you get the equivalent of 1.5p/litre off with a saver card. I quite regularly get my points back in the form of a £5 voucher which usually comes in handy towards a bottle of vodka.

Re: the concerns with rumoured lack of detergents in supermarket fuel, I use Millers Diesel Power Plus additive every couple of tankfuls, which works out at an extra 0.6p/litre (when I use it).

Rich.
Diesel - adverse camber
well for me shell is cheaper : Morrisons 94.9 Shell 91.9
Diesel - Morgie
I live in East Dorset and in most cases there is no price diferential between Shell and supermarket diesel. BP however is usually 2-3ppl dearer. I nearly always use Shell diesel in my car as it has a much higher detergent content than that from a supermarket. Also I get better mpg too. I think you'l find HJ will always recommend Shell, Texaco or BP over supermarket fuel.
Diesel - mss1tw
Shell for me. Tesco diesel a waste of time and BP is out of my way.

Also, I believe Shell sell their premium diesel for normal price. See their website for details as I could be wrong.
Diesel - quizman
The Shell diesel at my local station in Derby is usually the cheapest, it was 90.9p/l last week. I nearly always use Shell in my vehicals, and like many posters I have never found any advantage when using BP Ultimate.
However, my Landrover 90 loves Rix biodiesel ( 5% bio ), it seems to go much better with this in.
I never use supermarket fuel since having trouble with it a few years ago.
Diesel - Altea Ego
Blimey. All the stations I came across last week in the East Midlands were at 93.9 - 94.9
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Diesel - Oz
As posted recently I'm giving BP Ultimate diesel a go and now on the 2nd tankful. Can't confirm better fuel economy at all (BP's rather sweeping claim is 'up to 28 more miles per tankful'). Other benefits of the higher cetane level may exist but I can't perceive them.
And, as already posted by me, I recently had (and abandoned) an argument with BP where the effective price at the pump was higher than that advertised on the forecourt pylon.

Oz (as was)
Diesel - AlanGowdy
As there are ongoing issues as to whether supermarket fuel (petrol and diesel) is as 'good' as branded fuel I think it would be prudent only to get the supermarket stuff if it's appreciably cheaper. In my area it used to be, but not any more - indeed often the fuel from Esso, Shell, BP etc. costs less. No contest in that case.
Diesel - III
So does mpg go up in summer? I hear people talking about winter and summer diesel???
Diesel - cheddar
Shell, Texaco (IIRC same stuff) and BP Ultimate are the best, the latter is clearly a different formula from the smell, it smells like Millers Diesel Plus so probaly has cetane boosters added, worth the 5% premium IMO.

Went to fill up at a Shell station on the A38 south of Saltash/Landrake yesterday though the pumps were U/S, I noticed the price was 95.9p/ltr, carried on to the Shell station near Ashburton where it was only 91.9p/ltr, those U/S pumps saved me a couple of quid.