Prefix Number plates - NickS
Morning all,

This is something that has been bugging me for a quite a while now. I though the idea of having the letter at the beginning of the enumber plate to identify where you were from was a really good idea, but since it is actually relevant to where the car was registered and not where you live seems to defeat the object. I live in Sheffield, but my registration in AX, which is from East Anglia where my parents live and bought the car, and in Sheffield there is a huge number of cars that don't have the local YS or YP prefix. Whay also did they decide to go with some obscure method of assigning letter to counties?

In Germany, each city/landkreis has a logical prefix letter assigned to it (Frankfurt is F, Wurzburg is WU etc)cars are registered to where you live not where the car is from, so it is immediately obvious where someone is from. If you move, you have to re-register your car. The British version just seems overly complicated!
Prefix Number plates - RichardW
The UK has always used a system whereby part of the reg indicates where the car was originally registered. At least the new system gives a bit of a clue as to what region it originated in!

"If you move, you have to re-register your car. The British version just seems overly complicated!"

How can registering the car once be more complicated than registering it multiple times in its life????

Can't see it makes much difference - most drivers are so inept at observation they can hardly even tell you what colour the car they were just following was, let alone worry about whether it's a local or not!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Prefix Number plates - pd
Letters are not really assigned to counties, they are assigned to DVLA offices. DVLA offices always had their own letters it is just that when they reassigned them they tried to make them slightly more logical and recognisable. The system didn't really change at all.

For example, "EA, EB etc." denoting Chelmsford and hence Essex is more recognisable than JN, VX, OO etc. which they used to use.

Some are obscure because they had 26 letters (minus a few they can't use) to assign around and sometimes they didn't really fix so they made up a few obscure names such as "F=Fens" and "G=Garden of England". The only one they couldn't be bothered with is "K" which I think is assigned to Luton and means nothing.

As a point of utterly useless trivia, "special" number plates such as trade plates still use the old letters.

The fact that I know the above means I really must spend less time buying cars. ;)

Prefix Number plates - daveyjp
I though the idea of having the
letter at the beginning of the enumber plate to identify where
you were from was a really good idea, >>

Why?
Prefix Number plates - Dwight Van Driver
A great help in my active days.

If it was not an AJ or a VN then it was a foreigner and worthy of a consideration of a pull more so if it was a Newcastle or West Hartlepool one..........

Doubt the same applies as much now but certainly an indicator.

dvd
Prefix Number plates - Peter
On this subject, in the last two years I have seen on the M4, car registrations starting with a J.

The last one was JU04 ???.

Is it illegal, or a someone personalising the number or is it a trade plate/gov. agency plate?

Just curious.
Prefix Number plates - Citivanvin
J in the current system has been kept over for vanity plates.
Prefix Number plates - frazerjp
By the way this subject is called "Autonumerology" something like that.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)