Passat 1.9 TD ('95 AAZ) Cambelt change - Negger
Just about to embark on my first cam belt change on my '95, N-Reg Passat 1.9TD. Have seen reference to camshaft locking key and injector pump lock to prevent movement once belt removed. Are these items absolutely esential, or are there reliable substitutes and/or work arounds ? Local tool hire shops don't appear to stock these kits for hire.
Many Thanks!
Passat 1.9 TD ('95 AAZ) Cambelt change - jc2
Yes;virtually essential-try your local dealer for a kit.
Passat 1.9 TD ('95 AAZ) Cambelt change - AndyT
A bit of flat bar will do for the cam slot. A close fitting bolt should do fine for the pump.

Haynes show using feeler guages either side of the cam tool to centre and hold it.

My timing marks (seat ibiza 1.9d)in the flywheel inspection hole were never exact, probably about an 1/8th out, so don't worry too much.

A common-sense, methodical approach and it should all fall into place in 1-2 hrs. ;o)

Passat 1.9 TD ('95 AAZ) Cambelt change - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The kit is cheap enough from any good factors. Laser tools, Draper, Sykes Pickavant all do versions. Most difficult bit is getting the front of the car off, every one I have done has a slightly different way of releasing the bumper moulding, one had a hidden screw behind the number plate. I use two lengths of M10 studding to slide the front crossmember along.Watch out for the left hand threaded bolt on the auxiliary belt tensioner on some models! As Andy T states
A common-sense, methodical approach and it should all fall into place in 1-2 hrs. ;o)>>

but give yourself a good 4-5 hours for the first time. Dont forget to replace the cam cover seal and fit a new tensioner!
Good luck
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!