06 2.0 RE - Cam belt or chain - Dude - {P}
I know the earlier boxer engines fitted to the Legacy were belt cam driven, but does anybody know if the 2006 165 bhp 2 litre quad cam motor uses a belt or chain driven cam??

I have checked out Subarus website and H.J`s FAQ on this subject, where there is no reference at all for Subaru, so I am assuming they are belt driven but hope I may be wrong.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/01/2008 at 15:43

Subaru Legacy 2.0 RE - 2006 Model - nick
I wouldn't worry about it even if they are belt driven which I think they all are. They are well engineered and don't break. It cost £200 at a main dealer for a new belt in my single cam per bank Legacy which I thought was not bad. I expect a quad cam would cost a bit more. I asked about changing tensioners and the dealer said they inspect them but have never had to change one yet. When was the last time you heard of one failing?
Subaru Legacy 2.0 RE - 2006 Model - Aprilia
Basically just the same as the earlier engine but with a modified head I believe. So belt driven.

I have changed belts on Imprezza and I gather tensioner unit does sometimes need to be changed (not in my case though). They are not cheap (£100-150 IIRC, but that was a year or so back).
Subaru Legacy 2.0 RE - 2006 Model - Dude - {P}
Thanks for your replies and at what mileage is belt replacement recommended by Subaru.???
Subaru Legacy 2.0 RE - 2006 Model - nick
On my 2000 W plate 2 litre, every 36 months or 45k miles.
Subaru Legacy 2.0 RE - 2006 Model - Aprilia
Depends which year/model.

I think for the latest Legacies its 60k/5 years.