MOT Queries... - Pootle
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on MOTs. I was under the impression that re-testing is free if you take the car back to the testing centre on the same day, having got the problem/s rectified. I've just been told by Nationwide Autocentre that there isn't a free retest anymore. Is this the case?

Also, not being mechanically minded, is there anything to look out and rectify before my car (1999 Mazda 323) goes in for its MOT?

Thanks very much

Pootle
MOT Queries... - holly1
Unfortunately, many garages now charge for a re-test. I've heard its because the new computerised MOT's take longer to do, resulting in extra costs. Majority around here charge more or less the same as for the original test.
MOT Queries... - Collos25
Look for the obvious,lights,wiper blades,washers,horn,hazard lights,windscreen chips,make sure the handbrake holds on a steep hill.
MOT Queries... - vum
Hello Pootle,
There is still a free retest if the car is returned before the end of the next working day if it failed on one of the following items;
abs waring light
bootlid
brake pedal anti slip
indicators, hazzard lights
doors
dropsides
emissions
fuel filler cap
headlight aim
horn
lamps
loading door
mirrors
reflectors
number plates
seat belts [ not anchorages]
seats
sharp edges
projections
steering wheel
tailboard
tailgate
vin number
wheels and tyres [ not classes 1 or 2 ]
wipers and washers

if the vehicle stays at the testing station thatundertakes the repair there is no fee.

in all other cases the full fee can be charged

MOT Queries... - holly1
Around here some garages still charge you a retest fee even if you don't take the car away and its failed on something simple like faulty wiper blades or bulbs.
MOT Queries... - Aprilia
Around here some garages still charge you a retest fee even
if you don't take the car away and its failed on
something simple like faulty wiper blades or bulbs.

Report them to VOSA. They shouldn't be doing this.
A lot of garages are using the 'computerisation' as an excuse for all sorts of things. The computer doesn't do the test, the tester just enters the details.
Had a motor in my mates garage for an MoT this morning. Took him about 30mins. He went off to start another job while the computer 'timed out' (about 40mins) and he could give me a certificate. Shop around for free retests, plenty in my area still doing them.
MOT Queries... - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Pootle,
SWMBO 2001 323F got new front discs and pads. Albeit it was an amber warning only. Cost only £60 compared to £174 on my Passat recently.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
MOT Queries... - Pootle
Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} - wow, that's cheap. Mazda have stung me for servicing recently, and bits aren't cheap. Where did you go to get new front discs & pads for £60? I'm stunned!

Pootle
MOT Queries... - Pootle
By the way - thanks to everyone for your replies - I've got a checklist to go through now, it's really good advice - It'd be a sickener if I failed on a bulb!

Thanks

Pootle
MOT Queries... - Aprilia
Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} - wow, that's cheap. Mazda have stung
me for servicing recently, and bits aren't cheap. Where did you
go to get new front discs & pads for £60? I'm
stunned!
Pootle

Try www.buypartsby.co.uk for discs/pads.

www.japarts.co.uk may be able to help with other parts too.
MOT Queries... - Chris M
Rear discs and pads for my Vectra were £60 last week from Southern Exhausts. Pays to shop around.

Chris M
MOT Queries... - tomandjerry56
you say about let the computor time out my brother works in a garage over the road they do mots bloke swiped the card for mot to be done then it was lunchtime so he sat down and wathed telly and the ministrey of transport come in and said he had swiped the mot so should be finished not have a lunch break in between.mot he was wating out side on his lap top and could tell when to come in and strike the mot person you never know whos watching you now a days
MOT Queries... - tonyglover9
the mot free next day items are on the back of your fail cert.if you take it from the test station and have to make any repair other than a next day free items, then the garage can charge the full test fee again and carry out a full test.
MOT Queries... - Cliff Pope
My Triumph passed it's first "new style" MOT yesterday, at the first attempt (First time in living memory!).
I asked what would have been the position had it failed, and was told that as far as that garage was concerned, it was business as usual. ie any retest within a fortnight is free, and they would only re-test the failed items. Apparently there is an easy way of getting even the computerised system to let the tester do that.
Other garages have different policies, but this one has always been especially friendly and helpful.
MOT Queries... - vum
Cliff, name your test station, vosa would be very interested in paying them a visit.
Cliff, name your test station, vosa would be very interested in
paying them a visit.

Something in the tone of your reply persuades me to keep the station's name to myself!
MOT Queries... - vum
Cliff do you honestly believe that a testing station that admits to its customers that it bends the rules is friendly and helpful.
I think they should be avoided at all costs.

Road safety is a very serious issue and in any case a maximum of £44.15 is a small price to pay to have job done properly.
MOT Queries... - thallium81
Self righteous claptrap.
MOT Queries... - Dynamic Dave
Self righteous claptrap.

I couldn't agree more. However, this is Technical Matters, not general discussion - which is nextdoor.

DD.
MOT Queries... - vum
MOT Queries... - Caveman
Cliff do you honestly believe that a testing station that admits
to its customers that it bends the rules is friendly and
helpful.
I think they should be avoided at all costs.
Road safety is a very serious issue and in any
case a maximum of £44.15 is a small price to pay
to have job done properly.

Where exaxtly in Cliff's post does it mention that safety was compromised and that the job wasn't done properly?

The MOT is paid for, and if it fails, they'll carry out a retest for free & only retest what it previously failed on. Sounds reasonable to me, not like some of the other rip off garages that recharge time and time again. Cliff's "especially friendly and helpful" comment is correct. I'll shut up now before DD gets his scissors out.
MOT Queries... - Aprilia
I think the point is that they are **supposed** to do a full retest (14 days later the exhaust might have a hole, or emissions gone up the spout etc.).

VTS's were **always** supposed to do a full retest - the 'retest only failed items' was always breaking the rules and computerisation has helped bring it to a head. Computer only times how long vehicle is logged on for though, not what is actually tested - so rules can still be bent.
Just to clarify - I don't think safety is (in my case) being compromised at all. I have always had complete confidence that the garage does a full and proper test, and that when it passes a car it really does come up to standard.
This is borne out by my many failures over the past years. For example, last year the Triumph failed on an oval brake drum and a leaking front suspension shock absorber. They were not exactly safety issues, but the tester quite correctly failed the car.
I fitted new parts, and took the car back a week later. He glanced under the car, verified that they were indeed brand new components, and wrote out a pass certificate. Time to re-test about 5 seconds. Charge - nil.
He would have spotted instantly if I had done nothing, or just painted up the originals.
The Volvo failed last year on a slightly worn rear wheel bearing.
I told him I had a spare hub assembly, went home and swapped them over, and reported for a retest a few days later. This time he jacked up the wheel and felt it - it was fine, so he passed it. In that case he couldn't simply verify by looking, so he carried out the appropriate test.
To me that approach shows a responsible attitude to safety, and also the commonsense way of testing cars. Who cares if it is bending the rules?