96N Peugeot 405 19.TD oil in air box - owenP
I have a 96N 405 1.9TD, which has done 126k miles, and has been serviced regularly.

I had noticed that the exhaust was getting quite smokey lately, so changed the air filter, which cured the problem - and it is now running a lot better, is much more responsive, and the excessive smoking has now disappeared. The filter was last changed 6k ago.

The problem was that the left side of the filter seemed to be soaked with engine oil. On having a look, I noticed that the oil seemed to be entering the filter box from a breather hose at the bottom of the box, which seems to lead to a valve on the left hand side (when engine is viewed from the driver's seat) of the intercooler. There is a separate hose (which seems to be very oily) leading from the valve, and it then disappears under the intercooler - am guessing it is a rocker cover breather hose - will have a chance for a proper look on monday when I change the rocker cover gasket.

I'm just wondering if there is a common problem on these cars that could account for this pipe to be leaking oil into the air box? and how to fix it.

Many thanks