Car Tax on-line - Great service - Falkirk Bairn
Car MoT'd using the new on-line system - apparently a pain for the garage owner but easier for the car owner.

Last Wednesday renewed RFL on-line.

Painless apart from the £165.

Tax Disc arrived Friday

What a contrast from rolling up to the Post Office and getting in-line with 30+ others trying to get anything from stamps to Foreign Currency.

A Government computer system that works - next thing you know there will be cars coming out of Longbridge. Well may be not.
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Dave E
The whole motoring section of the government website seems to be in order at the moment. Like you I placed an order for a RFL on line, Tuesday just gone and it arrived today, Thursday's post. A big thumbs up to the much maligned Royal Mail as well!

I applied for my LGV provisional in January and got it back within a week. When I passed the LGV test a couple of weeks ago, it took 1 day over the week to come back. Not only that I did not have to post it, just left my old licence with the examiner and he did it for me. How good is that?

Now if only the rest of the government departments...........

Car Tax on-line - Great service - defender
use this system also ,I was glad you mentioned post office as well,credit where its due I ordered parts from Huntingdon at 4,05pm and was told 2 days to delivery however much surprise they arrived 500 miles north 8.00am next morning ,well done royal mail
Car Tax on-line - Great service - bell boy
Just a pity vosa don"t answer their national line when you phone them,surely they have more than mandy at reception transferring calls? (sorry any mandy"s)
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Car Tax on-line - Great service - R75
I usually have to phone VOSA a couple of times a week and I have never had a problem getting through - must have just been having a bad day!!
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Pugugly {P}
I put a SORN on a vehicle the other day - simplicity itself.
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Dwight Van Driver
If they came fishing for the £80 fine PU how do you prove that SORN went to DVLA and not lost in cyberspace??????

dvd
dvd you can print the confirmation page also get email to confirm if you tick the box
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Dynamic Dave
The on-line service for car tax is great - used it myself last year for the first time.

However, I am not able to apply for my motorbike tax on-line, which runs out at the end of the month. It must be a minimum cost thing, as the bike tax is only £15 for the year and I imagine it's not financially viable for the DVLA to do be able to do it.
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Dwight Van Driver
Obliged and duly noted Defender.
dvd
dd ,the cost wouldn`t be the cause of not being available online as I know if all is in order you can tax limited use vehicles online and they are free
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Dynamic Dave
dd ,the cost wouldn`t be the cause of not being available online....

Another strange thing, the paperwork from the DVLA says I only need to provide a current MOT cert at a post office. No mention of insurance documents.

OK, I expect the insurance to be logged on the electronic database, but the insurance runs out on the 26th Feb (##), which is before the RFL runs out.
(##) Haven't yet renewed it. Doing it today.

Also the bike was MOT'd last year (May or June) using the new system, so that should also be on an electronic database as well.

Car Tax on-line - Great service - Robbie
I have just renewed mine this morning but the payment section seems to be absurd.

Rather then fork out an extra £2.50 I used my debit card. The card number on my card is at the bottom and clearly says underneath, card number. I entered this but the message came back "enter card number". Thinking I'd entered it incorrectly I did the same again and checked it was OK. Same message. I then entered the eighteen numbers across the middle of the card but then got "card cannot be verified." What is wrong with the system? I had to use my credit card, which it accepted, plus the £2.50.

When buying on the Internet the payment section always prompts you to say what card and type you are using, e.g. Visa, Mastercard, Maestro.
Car Tax on-line - Great service - romeo156
I renewed my wifes online last night, thought it was very easy and a great step forward. Just hope that the local postie now delivers it without "losing" it.

Beats standing in the queue at the post office with the old dears who take forever getting their stamps.

Car Tax on-line - Great service - cheddar
A whole new meaning to 'tax in post', "well I renewed it online officer, here is the print out and they have my money, they just havent sent it yet."
Car Tax on-line - Great service - L'escargot
Just hope that the
local postie now delivers it without "losing" it.

My only reservation is that it might get lost in the post.
--
L\'escargot.
Car Tax on-line - Great service - storme
the only bad thing about paying online is u have to stump up the full amount in 1 go...
i pay everything by direct debit...and resort to buying saving stamps from the post office to buy my tax disc..therefore still managing to pay my tax monthly...

--
www.storme.co.uk
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Red Baron
Went ahead and used this facility a few days ago.

You don't find out until the last screen that credit card payments incur a £2.50 surcharge.

What a waste of time.

I drive past a Post Office on the way from work - popped in - cost nothing extra and queueing and paying was quicker than doing it on-line.

On-line is not for me!
Car Tax on-line - Great service - SlidingPillar
Your debit card number is the big number across the middle that includes your bank sort code and account number (and a few more, hopefully random numbers). Enter that and things should work.

The little number is only the cheque guarantee number.
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Pugugly {P}
Done it today on the CBR - brilliant. The incredible (almost) thing it was only MOT'd yesterday having been SORNd since Feb. On top of that, and despite the wisdom in some earlier threads, it is someone else's bike insured in my name (Carol Nash knowing it was someone else's bike btw) and on top of that insured on the same policy as the BMW (which arrives today) which is mine ! both bikes being insured fully comp for the Princely sum of £220.00 fully comp.
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Stuartli
Your debit card number is the big number across the middle that includes your bank sort code and account number>>

Not true. The bank sort code and account number are at the bottom of a debit card.

The three figure number (if you mean the one on the signature side of the card) is a security measure.

Most companies from whom you buy on line now ask for this three figure number - anyone who has "acquired" your main card number, the 16 digit version, will not be able to enter the CVV2 number (the last three digits of the number displayed on the back of your debit/credit card) unless they have the actual card.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car Tax on-line - Great service - Welliesorter
>> Your debit card number is the big number across the
middle that includes your bank sort code and account number>>
Not true. The bank sort code and account number are at
the bottom of a debit card.

It depends on the bank, and possibly whether they use Visa or Maestro. With Nat West, and possibly some other banks, the big number used to (probably still does) incorporate the account number and sort code. Nat West used to put green dots between the digits to separate them.

My Lloyds TSB card doesn't and never has.

Car Tax on-line - Great service - Roly93
I think it is an efficient service too, although I managed to screw it up myself ! I phoned them to ask why my tax disc hadn't arrived after 6 or 7 working days and very near to the start of the new month, they said they were sorry and immediately dispatched a duplicate disc by special delivery. However 45 seconds later I realised that we had some post which had dropped through the letter-box art a strange angle, and as I walked past I couldnt see it. I immediately phoned the DVLA back but they said even after 2 minutes they couldn't stop the process of sending out the duplicate.