Parking in cycle lanes - David Horn
Is it legal to park in a cycle lane that's separated from the main carriageway by a broken white line? No yellow lines in sight.

Likewise, can a taxi sit and wait on double yellows while blocking a cycle lane? I can't find anything in the highway code about it.

Cheers,

David.
Parking in cycle lanes - Lud
All depends what happens if anything as a result, obviously. No one will worry about it until something happens. Then lawyers will come from all directions and turn it into something strangely incomprehensible.
Parking in cycle lanes - Cliff Pope
I hope not - that's the point of a cycle lane, isn't it?
Parking in cycle lanes - Big Bad Dave
Yeah and the point of a red light is to stop traffic but you don?t see many cyclist taking any notice.
Parking in cycle lanes - L'escargot
And you don't see many on the road either. They are usually on the pavement.
--
L\'escargot.
Parking in cycle lanes - WipeOut
And you don't see many on the road either. They are
usually on the pavement.
--
L\'escargot.

Cyclists shouldn't ride on the pavement, but if you got on your bike and rode a bit, and experienced what cyclists have to put up with from motorists (and how bike unfriendly road layouts are) you would probable understand why they ride on the pavement!

"Cyclists shouldn't ride on the pavement, but if you got on your bike and rode a bit, and experienced what cyclists have to put up with from motorists (and how bike unfriendly road layouts are) you would probable understand why they ride on the pavement!"

Motorists shouldn?t park on cycle lanes but if you got in your car and drove a bit and experienced what motorists have to put up with (and how few reasonably priced parking spaces there are) you would probably understand why we park on cycle lanes!
Parking in cycle lanes - WipeOut
"Cyclists shouldn't ride on the pavement, but if you got on
your bike and rode a bit, and experienced what cyclists have
to put up with from motorists (and how bike unfriendly road
layouts are) you would probable understand why they ride on the
pavement!"
Motorists shouldn?t park on cycle lanes but if you got in
your car and drove a bit and experienced what motorists have
to put up with (and how few reasonably priced parking spaces
there are) you would probably understand why we park on cycle
lanes!

I am a motorist as well who drives 20 - 30k miles a year. If you can't afford to park, don't drive; and certainly don't park in cycling lanes and then complain that cyclists are cycling on the pavements!

Funny how cyclists get so indignant when motorists break the law but find it so easy to justify when they do it themselves.
Parking in cycle lanes - NowWheels
Motorists shouldn?t park on cycle lanes but if you got in
your car and drove a bit and experienced what motorists have
to put up with (and how few reasonably priced parking spaces
there are) you would probably understand why we park on cycle
lanes!

I know you were joking, but don't forget that the cyclist avoids the roads for safety, not for convenience. By parking in a cycle lane, you do a further mischief to the cyclist's safety.
Name-change time: NoWheels + Almera = NowWheels
Parking in cycle lanes - TrevorH
I know you were joking, but don't forget that the cyclist
avoids the roads for safety, not for convenience.

And in doing so, pedestrians leap into the road to avoid them.
Parking in cycle lanes - Garethj
And you don't see many cyclists on the road either. They are
usually on the pavement.
--
L\'escargot.

Passing the buck further along... I don't use the cyclepath which is 5 yards back from the pavement because it's got pedestrians walking their dogs on it. Aside from not wanting to scare the animals, the thought of man on one side of the cycle path, dog on other side and lead stretching across makes me think of a Keystone Kops film rather than nice ride to work!
Parking in cycle lanes - Dwight Van Driver
Does it fit in with this David?

"cycle lane" means a part of the carriageway of a road which -

(a) starts with the marking shown in diagram 1009 (dotted white line diagonally across carriageway marking start of lane); and

(b) is separated from the rest of the carriageway -

(i) if it may not be used by vehicles other than pedal cycles, by the marking shown in diagram 1049; (solid single line showing cycle lane with white cycle marking on lane) or

(ii) if it may be used by vehicles other than pedal cycles, by the marking shown in diagram 1004 or 1004.1;(cycle and pedestian sign)

A cycle lane as such will be brought in by a Traffic Regulation Order made by the LA(as is a waiting restriction)and route marked as above with blue roundel with white bike therein. It will depend what is in the order as to what or what is not permitted so parking as such is doubtful if a true cycle lane.
If no Order in force may well be advisory signing in which case parking may be permitted but because of the nature of the signing may lead to unnecessary obstruction.

Likewise in the Waiting Order may permit taxis to stop for the purposes of picking up/setting down, unloading etc. Doubtful if one would be permitted to park for the purpose of waiting for a fare.

dvd

Parking in cycle lanes - Sofa Spud
Mental note: Must remember to fit Halford's patent scratching device to my mountain bike next time I use a cycle lane where cars park!!!!
Parking in cycle lanes - sierraman
Mental note: Must remember to fit Halford's patent scratching device
to my mountain bike next time I use a cycle lane
where cars park!!!!

I find knocking the mirror off 'on the fly'works just as well and is fun too ;)

I was told,by a copper,that it was not an offence to park in the cycle lane.There are some car dealers who like to park there overflow,usually untaxed,in the cycle lane outside their forecourt.(You may know where I mean DH,Kirkstall Rd,.)
Thanks DVD. No signs apart from the painted bike at the start of the lane.
Parking in cycle lanes - Pugugly {P}
I would imagine a cop (or any other with powers)reporting for unnecessary Obstruction which would be a resonable enough response.

Annoys me, Local Authority have gone to the trouble of building a nice new cycle path (tarmac, separated from the highway) and a fully kitted out becycled idiot was till riding in the (busy)road causing chaos at a pinch point (also built by the same Local Authority) - had he no sense of danger ? or just no sense.
Parking in cycle lanes - Bill Payer
There a broken white line cycle lane recently been marked on the road my parents live on, and they've been told by the local council that parking in the cycle lane is OK.

The cycle marking I don't understand is the one that runs the full width of the road at Traffic Lights, with an additional solid white line perhaps 10ft before the lights, with the enclosed area often coloured red. No-one seems to understand where they're supposed to stop.
Parking in cycle lanes - sierraman
Cars stop at the first line,bikes are allowed onto the red area which is usually indicated by a white bike painted on the road,the idea being that the cyclist can get away before some idiot turns left as they move forward.It has happened to me and no,they did not bother to indicate either.
Parking in cycle lanes - Doc
Cars stop at the first line,bikes are allowed onto the red
area which is usually indicated by a white bike painted on
the road,the idea being that the cyclist can get away before
some idiot turns left as they move forward.

It also allows the cyclist to be able to position himself more safely for a right turn.

There a broken white line cycle lane recently been marked on
the road my parents live on, and they've been told by
the local council that parking in the cycle lane is OK.

:(

What on earth is the point of creating a cycle lane if cars are allowed to park in it and block it?
Parking in cycle lanes - Brit_in_Germany
Stretching the grey cells somewhat, I recall that there is a difference between a cycle lane marked with a solid white line and those with a broken white line - the latter are of no legal significance, more a request to motorists to make room for cyclists.

BIG
Parking in cycle lanes - Baskerville
Cycle lanes are usually done on the cheap and are often badly designed. Lots of stop-starts, lots of "cyclists dismount" signs, lots of side-roads to cross where the sight lines are a disaster, tree roots lifting the surface, broken glass, road signs, pedestrians, and parked cars to weave around. A major issue is cycle lanes that join main roads and do so at right angles, forcing a stop and tight left turn while pulling away onto the main road--lethal. It's often a lot safer just to stay on the road where things are more predictable. The reason people use cycle tracks in Holland is because they are done properly. In Britain, on the whole, they are not.

I actually think that motorists drive their cars on the pavement more often than cyclists ride on them.
It's often a lot safer just to stay on
the road where things are more predictable. The reason people use
cycle tracks in Holland is because they are done properly. In
Britain, on the whole, they are not.

Very true: I have yet to find a cycle track in the UK which I considered worthwhile, apart from the pnes through parks and on old railways etc -- which are great for leisure use, but mostly pretty useless for getting from A to B.

The history of cycle lanes is interesting: their growth in Germany in the 1930s was not to assist cyclists, but rather to assist cars by getting bikes out of their way (see tinyurl.com/ltfo7 for a brief intro). Having been forced off a German road by a police car whose passenger opened the door to push me off onto a badly potholed and dangerous cycleway, I'm afraid that mentality isn't entirely a thing of the past :(
Parking in cycle lanes - Bromptonaut
Annoys me, Local Authority have gone to the trouble of building
a nice new cycle path (tarmac, separated from the highway) and
a fully kitted out becycled idiot was till riding in the
(busy)road causing chaos at a pinch point (also built by the
same Local Authority) - had he no sense of danger ?
or just no sense.

Nice example of this sort of track in Tavistock St, London WC1. OK as far as it goes but it’s very narrow and freely used by pedestrians stepping over the kerb.

At the junction with Gordon St it quite rightly has priority over traffic entering or leaving that street. Unfortunately too many drivers fail the mental agility test of looking for two lanes of motor traffic and two lanes of cyclists and simply zoom across hoping for the best.

There are worse examples elsewhere. Riding in the road, with the other traffic, may be in recognition of danger and demonstrate acute common sense.
Parking in cycle lanes - L'escargot
<< I can't find anything in the
highway code about it.

215: You MUST NOT stop or park on

.... a bus, tram or cycle lane during its period of operation
.... a cycle track

--
L\'escargot.
Looks like I'll go back to swerving around the cars then. :-)

Actually, you need a mountain bike to navigate the roads in Leeds, I rode through a pothole on an A-road t'other day and bottomed out the 5 inches of travel on my Fox TALAS forks. Nearly went right over the bars...

Fortunately, I only use roads to get to bridleways etc so it's not a massive issue. I stopped using them to commute into uni after I got hit by a car in Nov 04.
Parking in cycle lanes - slowdown avenue
cycle lane near me just appeared,broken white line,long stretch of road, previously good for parking,no yellow lines, seems like a road narrowing measure. can i park or stop thier i dont know,so i would guess nobody really knows, but better not chance it, till we find out for sure.