Blinking Landrover. - Dwight Van Driver
Landrover Lovers read on - others please ignore.

Motoring along in 95 Disco for no apparent reason hazard flashers come on of their own accord. Stop, switch off, switch on and they reset. This is followed for awhile with central locking system not functioning then clearing.

Handbook puts this down to inertia switch being activated and which also affects central locking as it does. Haynes mentions intended to cut off supply to fuel pump. Could understand this occurring from an severe impact.

New Interia switch for Indicator CPU I understand costs in excess of £100.

Help1. Cannot find the switch behind the washer bottle as stated by Haynes, neither can I spot it to the left of the steering wheel amongst spagetti junction wiring. So where is it? (Please bear in mind I am a three fingered double thumbed type of DIY'er that nothing goes right for.)

Help 2. Is there a simple solution to this? Fault not on every journey just now and again. Surely switch should not activate over normal road undulations?

Thanks in anticipation

DVD
Re: Blinking Landrover. - Eleanor
THe simplest solution would be to buy a Landcruiser, but I digress.

Eleanor
Re: Blinking Landrover. - Dwight Van Driver
Eleanor

Thanks but you did not read my lips........

DVD
Re: Blinking Landrover. - THe Growler
An American friend of mine says he likes British cars. They're quaint and fun to drive. He says if only they'd make 'em properly they could be quite successful...
Re: Blinking Landrover. - David W
DVD,

You'll be cheered I've just done a major service and MOT on a 1994 Discovery 300TDi at 81K and it was an ace vehicle.

Unblemished met green paint, undamaged/rustfree chassis, perfect engine/drivetrain/suspension, 300TDi t/belt mods properly made, unmarked interior and everything worked.

History.....farmers from new!

Credit to Land Rover really.

David
Re: Blinking Landrover. - Dwight Van Driver
Looks as if there are very, very, very few Landrover Lovers out there so shall I start again.

I have a Citreon Golf GTI, Merc 120 model that has been constructed as a L.R. Discovery L.R. that when mobile the hazard flashers come on........

Guess I will leave it for the time being and monitor and hope I don't get put on the Sex Offenders Register (flashing in public????)

DVD
Re: Blinking Landrover. - Graham
Oh we're here, but as I don't even have door locks let alone central locking'I'm not much use to you except for tea and sympathy.

Elanor. Landcruiser, that's an oxymoron isn't it. You'd never get one of those super tankers where a Land Rover will go.

I'm off now to don my asbestos suit 8-)
Re: Blinking Landrover. - Richard Hall
Have you got an alarm fitted, with remote locking? The aftermarket alarm on my Audi flashes the hazard lights twice when you lock the doors with the remote control. If the alarm system is starting to play up this could be the cause. Check for loose connections (especially if it is an aftermarket job fitted by cowboys).
Re: Blinking Landrover. - David W
Sorry DVD forgot to answer the question.

I would be looking at a loose connection to or within the c/lock and alarm ECU. I thought you would find this behind the passenger side facia or behind the drivers footwell kick panel in early vehicles (1994 or before?). But I'm not an expert on these.

Have taken the liberty of posting the query in my name (LRDave) on the excellent Discovery tech forum? That'll save you going through the registration that keeps out the idiots but can take a while.

www.lrenthusiastforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?u...9

Look at the Discovery c/lock fault thread and see what they come up with later on.

Regards,

David
Re: Blinking Landrover. - Brill
>"...for no apparent reason hazard flashers come on of their own accord. Stop, switch off, switch on and they reset. This is followed for awhile with central locking system not functioning then clearing."

DVD,
Like Richard's alarm, my Audi started doing this. I found moisture in the control box for the central locking and alarm. Mine is a black box approx 5" x 4" to which the central locking pipes lead. The moisture was all over the (typically) green backed computer/circuit board. I took the whole unit inside and dried it out, and it's now fine.

It had clearly been damp for some time, as the circuitry on the board was quite corroded. I think I caught it just in time. The box in my Avant is in the side cupboard in the boot, right next to the bidet filler bottle, so I guess the moisture could have been spilled washer solution due to careless refilling, otherwise from the sun roof drainage pipes.

Stu.
Re: Blinking Landrover. - Richard Hall
Brill

Audi 80s and Coupes are notorious for leaks around the tail lights. The sealing material shrinks and cracks with age, and the water channels around the boot lid / tailgate direct rainwater straight onto the top of the light units, from where it flows into the boot. I don't know whether this applies to Avants as well, but if your car steams up inside every time the sun shines, and there are mushrooms growing in the boot carpet, it might be worth investigating. I did a 'temporary' bodge job three months ago with glazing putty, and my mushrooms have now died.