Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - happytorque
Ive got a Citroen C5 2.0HDI and basically im wondering if they are a good long term prospect. I have owned it from new and get the oil changed every 6k miles.
My questions is very simple; do these engines last well, or are they a load of short lived complicated rubbish?
Opinions seem to vary wildly.
I have seen statements to the effect that they are a very well designed, robust engine, easily capable of 200,000 miles.
But ive also seen it said that they are a disaster waiting to happen and can go badly wrong after 70,000 miles.
Which of these statements is near the truth please?
CITROEN 2.0 HDI - ANY GOOD? - Quinny100
The HDi's have been around for 6 or 7 years now. They are generally very reliable and will cover big mileages without any trouble.

The main issue with them is the crankshaft pulley is a metal and rubber component and the rubber tends to split away from the metal and this can throw the cambelt off. When getting the cambelt changed it is advisable to get the pulley done as well, or before if the engine is making any strange noises from that area.
Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - Mondaywoe
Dunno really! My 2.2 has done 56,000 with no problems apart from a duff turbo that was changed under warranty (Unusual for that to give trouble, by the way - they reckoned it simply had a manufacturing defect in it.)

In theory, these engines should, indeed cover huge mileages because they are generally sound units without any serious flaws. In common with the Peugeot version, though, you should keep an eye on the crankshaft pulley - it has a rubber shock absorbing part that can come to pieces, resulting in a distinctive rattle.

The HDIs also have a dual mass flywheel (again a rubber shock absorbing type thing) these can also come to pieces and if neglected disintegrate bigtime, taking clutch and gearbox with them! Many people advise changing the flywheel at every clutch change.

Make sure the timing belt is changed at the right mileages and get the garage to check the condition of the water pump, crankshaft pulley (as above) and tensioner while they're in - replacing if suspect to avoid costly damage and a repeat job.

My one worry - and this is true of all common rail diesels - is that if something significant does happen to go wrong - especially in an older car - the cost of repair could easily be much more than the car is worth. I think I'm right in saying eg that the high pressure diesel pumps are in the region of thousands rather than hundreds of pounds. They don't often give trouble - but........

Maybe a whole industry will develop offering refurbished units at reasonable prices (like the old days when you could have your carburettor refurbished)

I still believe, however, that the HDI is one of the smoothest, most refined and reliable diesels around! It's the first diesel I've had and it knocks spots off all previous petrol motors I've ran on virtually all counts - INCLUDING noise and pollution!

Graeme
Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - neil
I know of a taxi firm in Eversley who have several 406 110HDis that have over 350,000 miles on them with just normal servicing (& belts and pulleys & waterpumps, obviously!) - and they all drive like new - astonishingly smooth and quiet. They've never had a catastrophic failure - and they're not a 24/7 operation so the cars do get cold overnight. Serviced as per the book but with a monthly (I believe about 7k miles) oilchange - on semi-synthetic. (all info from their drivers in conversation, no personal knowledge - but no reason to doubt them)

Neil
Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - RichardW
A quick trawl of Autotrader the other day revealed an awful lot of Xantia HDis with in excess of 100k miles - many up around 130 - 150, and still asking nearly £3k. I have a sneaking suspicion that self destruction of the HP pump is due to filling them up with petrol.... so no misfuel, no HP pump failure. The bottom end of the engine is carried over from the well proven XUD unit where failure is rare. No reason it shouldn't go on for plenty of miles - and even if it does fail, there's plenty more out there at reasonable prices, just buy another one!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - Camchain
Snip
I have a sneaking suspicion that self destruction of the
HP pump is due to filling them up with petrol.... so
no misfuel, no HP pump failure.

Snip

My thoughts exactly on common rail HP pump failures....
We know from the garage/forecourt trade that there`s a LOT of accidental petrol filling going on.. from under a litre, to a full tank.........
and I bet many will either not realise it, or just press on and hope for the best.
thats also why I personally would not buy a *used* common rail motor and in particular not from auction......
I had no hesitation in buying common rail....it will be run on Derv.........
Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - dereckr
"It's the first diesel I've had and it knocks spots off all previous petrol motors I've ran on virtually all counts"

I second that statement. This engine (In Xsara estate)
is my first diesel after 30 years of driving petrol. It banished all my diesel preconceptions of coarse, sluggish, dull and noisy motoring. I hope the doom merchants are wrong about common rail technology...time will tell. I will need a lot of persuading to tempt me back to petrol.
Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - dereckr
I forgot to add that my brother has this engine in a 406 estate.
It's done over 200k with no engine problems and he tows a caravan with it.
Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - Ben79
I've the 2.0 HDI 110 in my C5, dad had the 2.0 90 in his last Picasso and the new 1.6 100 in his new one.

Fab engines and very refined. Several people have asked if it is a diesel but thought it was a petrol (including IAM observers).
Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - neil

I've the 2.0 HDI 110 in my C5, dad had the
2.0 90 in his last Picasso and the new 1.6 100
in his new one.
Fab engines and very refined. Several people have asked if it
is a diesel but thought it was a petrol (including IAM
observers).

Hmm... although I'm a fan of this motor, I suspect that may say more about the "I am" observers than about the engine...!
Citroen 2.0 HDi - Any Good? - Ben79
Hmm... although I'm a fan of this motor, I suspect that
may say more about the "I am" observers than about the
engine...!

He wasn't deaf and old!