Alfa Romeo Sportwagon - nathnamdo
I am looking into buying a 2001 ALFA ROMEO SPORTWAGON 1.6 TS 5dr Sportwagon advertised with 101,000 miles on it for £2700. I have never owned one so would like some advice on maintenance cost, reliability and any major flaws with them. I have read that they are not very well made and fall apart quite easily.
Alfa Romeo Sportwagon - Collos25
Way to dear.Rear axle bushes fail if they have been left could have damaged the rear end,change cam belt twice as often as recommended,oil pumps fail causing total engine failure,spark plugs expensive as four are Alfa specific,eat brake discs,second gear syncro if it crunches at all changing down from third walk away,black paint for some reason is poor and leaves rust pock marks over the body.These are some of the problems that we have come across .Leeds central motor auction 2001 Y 156 2.0 leather 76000 silver sportwagon £1650 (withdrawn).
Alfa Romeo Sportwagon - tr7v8
Rear axle bushes, mine had the done once driven from 37K to 106K from memory around £ 150, Superflex are an option if you want them. Dealer reckons on every 80K approx. Cambelt change at 36K don't just get it checked, around £400 at dealers with other bits at the same time, less from indie. Oil pump failure is older engines newer ones post 2000 seem a lot better. Plugs are expensive (£100) cheaper from indie and only every 60K so around the same as others. Gearbox issues again some do some don't, it's a fairly lazy change unlike most Alfas treated with some sympathy (some don't) then they seem OK. Clutch is good for 120K+ but is 5.5 hours on a petrol, 7.7 on a JTD!
Trim my rear light covers kept coming loose on the tailgate (common problem) & the luggage cover needed repair but otherwise the trim on mine was 100% when it went, no rattles, sqeaks etc.
A lot of the above is pretty much on a parr with a Vectra or Mondeo but doesn't make such a good story then. Some of the dealers are carp, let us know where you live & I can point you in the direction of a better one.
Check it all works, warning lights go out etc.

Finally BUY IT if it's a good'un, Alfa ownership is a smile on the face at the end of what in every other car would be a tedious journey!
Alfa Romeo Sportwagon - tr7v8
PS Brake discs upgrade to Rossini from car parts direct around £75 each all in rather than £90 from a dealer, standard ones even cheaper. Service is every 12K and around £160 for the first and £ 220 for the 24K but mine was a diesel & they are Dealer prices, so verify locally.
Alfa Romeo Sportwagon - nathnamdo
I have read about the gear crunching and paint issues. It seems they have few problems with them.
Alfa Romeo Sportwagon - teabelly
The place I take my car has a saloon on an R plate. Everything is stuck together quite nicely. Everything seems to work on it that I have played with. The one I borrow usually works perfectly. The only problems I have seen with it in the few years I have been borrowing it were an abs warning light when a wheel sensor packed up, a warm up problem with a bit of chugging due to an air mass meter and an airbag warning light coming on for no reason. The electrics are made by Bosch. It doesn't seem unusual for an 110,000 mile car that has been borrowed by customers and probably not always treated with the greatest respect. It's never failed to start or done something mental.

It is a good car to drive and does feel well built and solid. Boot space is good in the saloon. I nearly bought a sportwagon as I preferred the styling but decided it was a bit too sensible family car for me.

If you find a good independent garage then you'll have no problem. Franchised dealers are usually over priced and useless with anything other than keeping the service history up to date. They can't do diagnosis if their life depended on it.

I would say the 1.6 in a car like that might be a little underpowered. If you can get a 1.8 then I would.
teabelly