Sharp practice at Audi !! - JasperB
My wife has a 2002 Audi A3 1.6 SE which has done 19,000 miles.
I have just booked it in for a service only to be told that Audi now insist that the cambelt has to be changed not after 60,000 miles as it says in the handbook but after 4 years.
This is going to cost £510 - sharp practice at Audi ?
Sharp practice at Audi !! - Aprilia
There is a time limit as well as a mileage limit - so they are technically correct in sticking to it. You don't have to have it done of course, its up to you, but they are not the most reliable of set-ups on these 1.6l Audis and can fail with expensive consequences. An non-franchised workshop would probably do it for about £300.
Sharp practice at Audi !! - Dynamic Dave

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37741
Sharp practice at Audi !! - Roly93
There is a time limit as well as a mileage limit
- so they are technically correct in sticking to it.
You don't have to have it done of course, its up
to you, but they are not the most reliable of set-ups
on these 1.6l Audis and can fail with expensive consequences.
An non-franchised workshop would probably do it for about £300.

>>
I think this is good advice, as cam-belt life is not all about mileage, it is also about stop-start driving and engine heat-cycles etc. IT is also true that VaG group have recently revised their cam-belt policy to reflect this.
Therefore, as the car isn't under warranty anyway, why pay the exhorbitant main dealer prices to do the job.
Sharp practice at Audi !! - JasperB
Thanks for that advice - does it have to be a genuine VAG cambelt ?
TB
Sharp practice at Audi !! - bell boy
most definately yes unless gates do a kit ,it is one item that you really do not want copy parts on at any price.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Sharp practice at Audi !! - Carrow
PART NO K015489XS, this is for the 8v engine. Double check your engine code though. Our shop retail is £43.12+vat. Don't forget to estimate for Water Pump & Fan/ac belts. Regards