Vectra TDi Non starter - Spanner
My T reg Vectra 2litre TDi will not start but will turn over. The day before it was running fine. Does this model have a collision/inertia switch?
The car has never played up before and the alarm/immobilizer has been working as it should. There are no MIL warning lights etc showing either.
Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew
Vectra TDi Non starter - wemyss
Same thing happened with my Vectra DTI. No amount of churning over would start it.
It was the rubber spill pipes which had become porous and was letting air in.
No warning ! Just wouldnt start one morning.
Replaced with the newer rubber pipe. The old type was the furry type of rubber. Beware of main dealer who will automatically tell you its the injector seals. (sometimes is) but usually the rubber pipes.
Vectra TDi Non starter - Spanner
Many thanks, I shall have a look and change them.

Andrew
Vauxhall Vectra 2 litre DTi non starter - Spanner
I posted a problem a few days ago reference a T reg two litre DTi Vectra. Recently it cut out whilst driving and refused to start. Several members on this forum suggested changing the leak-off pipes from the injectors - which I have now done. Unfortunately the car still won't start. There is no previous immobiliser/alarm faults and no MIL warning lamps.
I removed the main leak-off pipe where it goes into the pum unit and got someone to crank it over to check if fuel is being pumped, but nothing came out. Am I right to expect some floww albeit small from the leak-off pipe set whilst the engine is turning over?
I have checked for live feed to the main injector pump wiring block and is is present when ignition is ON. Have also checked for live feed to what I assume is the solenoid cut-off valve and 12 volts approx also present with ign on.
What I would like to know is;
1) Is the fuel lift pump seperate from the main diesel injection pump?
2)How much to buy and fit said lift pump?
3)Are fuel cut-off solenoids a known problem on these engines as I am used to Peugeot/Citroen/Ford diesels.
4)Most fuel cut-off solenoids have one wire going into them. The Vectra has two and with ignition on, there was 12volts present on each.

I am hoping its something simple as the rest of the car is in great condition and has full history.
Many thanks in advance,

Andrew
Vauxhall Vectra 2 litre DTi non starter - piston power
have you checked for fuel at the injector pipes while somebody cranks over the engine? not sure if your engine has the timing belt but is the engine turning? these are just basics checks to do, have you got full glow on all plugs??
Vauxhall Vectra 2 litre DTi non starter - Spanner
The engine is a cam chain version. No sign of fuel at injector union whilst cranking.

Andrew
Vauxhall Vectra 2 litre DTi non starter - wemyss
Andrew, Probably of little use to you but when my spill pipes were replaced my mate a Vauxhall mechanic did them.
When finished he said these can be a devil to start again and had come prepared with a can of easy start something or other, which he sprayed in to the air cleaner while I cranked it.
Still had to spin it over for a while...
When I did the first change of the fuel filter I forgot to fill it back up with diesel and that also took a long time to start up again. Is your fuel filter full?.
Regarding glow plugs I suppose you know that they dont operate below 3c so you could disregard them.
It does sound like air in the system preventing fuel getting to the injectors, but we need an expert to come along with more specific advice.

Vauxhall Vectra 2 litre DTi non starter - Dynamic Dave
Regarding glow plugs I suppose you know that they dont operate below 3c ....

Above 3°C, surely?
Vauxhall Vectra 2 litre DTi non starter - jc2
Air conditioning does not operate below 3c.Glowplugs operatte at all temperatures;tho' for different lengths of time.
Glowplugs operatte at all temperatures;tho' for different lengths of time.

Can't speak for other manufacturers, but I've read elsewhere that glowplugs don't operate if the temp is above a certain limit (I thought it was actually 5°C) on Vauxhalls.
Vauxhall Vectra 2 litre DTi non starter - wemyss
Well spotted Dave...
You may also be correct about the 5c. Have read it in one of my books but will check.
I crtainly know winter is on its way when for the first time the Glowplug panel light comes on.
I imagine that all modern diesel engines don't use the glowplugs above a certain temperature nowadays.
Well spotted Dave...
You may also be correct about the 5c. Have read it
in one of my books but will check.

I may not be totally correct. But is somewhere around the figure of 2 to 5°C.

Doing a quick forum search, I found this, which incidentally you contributed to:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=15...3
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18835&...t

Both of which says the info is in the car's handbook.
Vectra TDi Non starter - kevo
Same prob, had the AA out and on that very cold morning(not sure of temp.)he put a test on the heater plug leads and got no amp readings at all. Have had two sets of spill pipes fitted in the last six months, the first as part of a service and the second to cure the non starting problem, no luck. The heater plug light on the dash only comes on when the temp. is low, it does not come on in the warmer months. The mechanic (a decent chap) says the heater plug only activates below 7degrees and the plug warning light comes on only as an internal diagnostic check. My problem is whom to believe, the AAman who swears its the heater plugs, or the mechanic who says it is not. Why would the heater plug warnig light only come on cold mornings if the heater plug did not require heating?
Vectra TDi Non starter - solara
Direct injection engines only require glow plug starts for temps below 7 degrees celsius. Indirect engines use glow plugs for all temperatures. As yours is a direct injection engine the former applies.
Vectra TDi Non starter - Peter D
The AA guy should have confirms a 12volt feed was being applied to the heaters. If it if warm no feed and therefore zero current. Sounds more light you are pulling in air into the fuel system thus no go. Do you have a manual priming pump. If so pump it for 30 seconds or so then try it. Regards Peter
Vectra TDi Non starter - thetoilet
sorry, ammeteur question... is a manual priming pump part of the car, or a tool that you buy? if it is part of the original car, where is it on a diesel vectra? I have another thread going about the vectra fuelling / starting problems, but caught this one today about the pump...

cheers
dan
2.2 dti vectra not starting - kevo
still not starting after fitting new spill pipes and having new injector seals fitted, the seals were worn and needed replacing.
Any ideas ?
2.2 dti vectra not starting - David Horn
Would have thought that enthusiastic cranking would start a direct injection diesel engine even with all the glowplugs knackered.
2.2 dti vectra not starting - Number_Cruncher
Unfortunately, to make a proper job of replacing the transverse injector seals (the injectors on these engines aren't conventional) is quite a big job to do properly. Some people do try to bodge this by replacing the transverse seals in-situ, but this doesn't always work. To do the job correctly, you need to do quite a lot of stripping down work to get to the injectors.

Number_Cruncher