highish mileage what buy ? - welshy
With money being a little tight what are your thoughts on the following vehicles please

2004 mondeo ghia tdci 130 bhp 70,000 miles

2004 VW passat SE 100bhp diesel 80,000 miles

2004 Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 dti 90,000 miles

all are about the same price , what would be the best on reliability standards . I like the Mondeo but heard that TDCi engines are rubbish ?
highish mileage what buy ? - DavidHM
Best spec (possibly)? Lowest mileage? Most power? Chain cam engine?

Er.... not sure mate :-)
highish mileage what buy ? - Blue {P}
So that would be Mondeo then? :-)

Blue
highish mileage what buy ? - Adam {P}
I hate recommending Fords but like my two learned colleagues have already said, I'd have the Mondeo.

The TDCi is a cracking engine but as with a lot of high pressure common rail diesel engines, they're somewhat of an unknown if they go wrong. That's just about where my knowledge on them ends but Aprilia was talking about them in a recent thread.

As an aside, you were probably told the TDdi engines were rubbish. They were (and still are) cracking workhorses but when compared to the recent generation of refined diesel engines now they're a little agricultural.
highish mileage what buy ? - cheddar
The other two are rough and relatively gutless engines, the Passat is also carp to drive so only one choice there IMO.
highish mileage what buy ? - Avant
Agree - the Mondeo, mainly as it's got the 130 bhp engine. The Passat has the lower powered diesel which isn't man enough for the big body.

But test drive it in case it's been caned.
highish mileage what buy ? - Maz
Yeah, all things being equal the Mond. The other two are 100 horsepower units pulling large cars.

Hang on, I think I just agreed with someone...