Windscreen Wipers - Adam {P}
Amazingly (or stupidly) I've never replaced the wipers on my car. That's been because they've been fine up until recently when the rubber started to peel away but they still worked.

Anyway - nipped into Ford before and bought a pair and just replaced them now. Swish aren't they? Wear indicators? Whatever next! But there was a clip on each one which came off easy enough but I have a feeling they should be left on.

They look like a very small old clothespeg and clipped onto the bar of the blade that would ordinarily clip onto the wiper arm itself.

I've kept them in case I need to put them on in some way but they're a new one on me. (The wipers, without these "pegs" clip on and look identical to the old ones).

Any ideas?
Windscreen Wipers - No FM2R
PErhaps different vehicles have different windscreen wiper arms despite using the same blade. Therefore that clip can be used for hte other type.
I initially thought that Mr No but the wipers in question are for the Focus and Cougar only.

Mind you - I guess they could actually be there for the Cougar.

I'm not too worried - I don't see how they could fall off and they clear the screen perfectly. Made me realise how crap the old ones were!
Windscreen Wipers - smoke
Adam, i am probably being quite stupid when i suggest this, but are you sure that the clip that you are alluding is not just the replacement clip that attaches the wiper blade to the arm. I.E. you have given yourself more work than necessary when replacing the blade by; instead of removing the old blade + clip and sliding the new blade + clip onto the hook of the wiper arm, you removed the blade from the old clip on the old wiper and then removed the new clip fom the new blade and then attached the new blade to the old clip.
I can't explain this any clearer, and in fact i am now confuddled by my own words.
However you are right the wear indicators are very cool, though i do wonder if they will go yellow long before the wiper "needs" replacement if you catch my drift.
My local dealer was doing the blades at 25% off, so i replaced mine last week.
Thanks for replying Smoke - I feel bad now when I say I don't understand what you mean!

There is no clip as such (on the old ones anyway). The arm is shaped into a hook which hooks onto a bar on the blade which is why I don't see what the cheap plastic clips on each bar before you fit them could be for. I tried but I can't see any way in which you could put the blades on without first removing the clips.

I feel stupid but by the same token, why the hell would the clips be on the little bar in the first place?

Thanks again.
The wiper arm has a simple metal hook about 3 cm long. The new wiper blade has got a thin metal bar onto which the old clothespeg style swivily thing is attached. Is that correct so far?
I was assuming that you removed this swivilly thing and used the one from the old blade.
If i have crossed wires then i apologise and am evidently talking rubbish. The blades that i got had no other clip on them.
Did you notice btw how these blades have valeo on them???
I am sorry - it was my fault for being obscure! What you say is correct. I'm tempted to forget about it if/until they fly off at high speed when I'm on the motorway.

What/Who's Valeo? At a guess it's a parts company. Seeing as I've already embarrassed myself, one more won't hurt!

Thanks again.
Heh, Valeo are the OEM manufacturer, they are like Bosch in that they make all things automotive
www.valeo.com
Undoutably part of the price that we have both paid has gone for the ford stamp on the blades. I am sure we could have got the same valeo branded blades for less than ones that come in the ford box, but thats a lesson for next time.
It should make no difference that you have used the swivilly thing from the old blade on the new one unless the old one is cracked. Just more work for you ;)
Ahh. I must confess I never saw any Valeo markings on. In fact, the only ones I saw were a Ford badge on each one.

I only chose Ford because I remember the recent wiper thread where someone sais Halfords wipers weren't as good and I was in rush to get them.

(There was a nagging thought in the back of my mind that Valeo might have been an anti-water rain repellent type thing that the blades were coated in ;-))

The valeo markings arn't on the blade body, they are on the rubber part. (yes i am that sad :-().
Sshhh. No-one will notice. They'll get caught up in the technical mumbo jumbo above!
Windscreen Wipers - Group B
You can get Valeo blades with wear indicators from many a corner shop motor spares place. Cant remember how much mine were but dont think they were much cheaper than Halfords own brand. Much of a muchness I think. ;o)
Windscreen Wipers - Navara Van man
i tend to use bosch wiper refils and find these far outlast ford suplied blades.