Golf GTI 1.8T questions - Webbman
Hi All,

I bought a new golf gti 1.8t last summer and i think the ride of the car isn't as good as i thought it would be, my dealer said the can lower the suspension but will the ride be more harder?...and how much lower is it acceptable when u go over a speed bump without scraping the bottom of the car?....will bigger wheels benefit the handling of the car?

cheers
William
Re: Golf GTI 1.8T questions - Andrew Barnes
Webbman wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I bought a new golf gti 1.8t last summer and i think the ride
> of the car isn't as good as i thought it would be, my dealer
> said the can lower the suspension but will the ride be more
> harder?...and how much lower is it acceptable when u go over
> a speed bump without scraping the bottom of the car?....will
> bigger wheels benefit the handling of the car?
>
>
> cheers
> William

I have driven the 2001 GTI 1.8T and the 2002 model year version. The 2002 model year version handles much better than the 2001, due to suspension improvements.

What is the problem you are having with the ride? If you lowering springs from the dealers are also uprated, you might find the ride a bit 'crashy'. Bigger wheels need lower profile tyres = harder ride = more rattles!

Cheers

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk
Re: Golf GTI 1.8T questions - Honest John
I go along with Andrew. When I drove a Golf GT TDI PD 130 on sports suspension I could not believe I was driving a Mk IV Golf it was that much better. I think they've gone for the SEAT Leon 20VT set-up, which is more compliant but has better damping and helps the car handle a whole lot better. There isn't too much you can do with an older model on ultra low profile tyres as dropping the suspension can only make the ride worse.

HJ
Re: Golf GTI 1.8T questions - Webbman
I thought my Golf 1.8t 2001 had sports suspension?.........is sports suspension a factory fitted option?......

Webbman