Help with Starting please Mondeo Z tdci - Jane12345
Can anyone give any suggestions on getting our 2003 Mondeo Zetec tdci started please? Hubbie says engine just won't turn over - lights come on and everything as if going to start. There is no flashing plug-light like I've seen mentioned on other threads.
Help with Starting please Mondeo Z tdci - Peter D
Try bump starting it with 3 people pushing and in second gear. It sounds as if the starter has failed or you are not telling us enough information. Regards Peter
Help with Starting please Mondeo Z tdci - Adam {P}
Agree with Peter. Need a bit more info.

The battery's ok isn't it?

He switches ignition on and everything is fine. Thereafter sometimes it starts up and sometimes it doesn't. No lights or nothing unusual. No noise from starter. Battery ok.
Help with Starting please Mondeo Z tdci - cheddar
1/ Sticking starter motor, if so lights would dim as starter takes load.

2/ General electrical problem, perhaps in the ignition switch.

Either way visit to dealer or vreutable auto elec required, i would take to dealer, Ford very good on goodwill if just out of warranty. On which subject is it in warranty/
Help with Starting please Mondeo Z tdci - Peter D
Starter solenoid connection corrosion or soldered dry joint on windings. Regards Peter
Help with Starting please Mondeo Z tdci - kithmo
Possibly an immobiliser or transponder key fault. Try the master key in the ignition, the non-remote one with the blue chip, if that works all the time then it could be the other key.
Help with Starting please Mondeo Z tdci - rtj70
Could even be a failed EGR Valve... I would not have thought so but mine just went (again).

Symptoms just before the engine cut out were erratic revs and some reluctance to rev... then it died and would not re-start. Ford dealership diagnosed an EGR failure and replacement now has it going again. Second EGR to fail since the car was new though (Oct 2003 new, Sept 2004 EGR no. 1, Feb 2006 EGR no.2)
Thanks so much to all for your help with this. I really appreciate it. Kind regards, J