Starting from cold - peter charnley
Yesterday I started my wife's Astra 1.4 and backed it out of the garage.Stopped the engine and washed the car. I then started it and put it back in the garage and stopped the engine. I remember reading on the site some time back that is a no no and can cause starting problems.

My wife told me this evening that the car did not start and she had to get a lift for the kids to school and her to work. I went to the car and sure enough it would not start untill I floored the accelerator.

What is the cause of this. I will not do it again!

Cheers

Peter

PS I only admitted it might be my fault when she said it was getting old (P reg) and perhaps should be got rid of!
Re: Starting from cold - Andy P
It's designed to stop you flooding the catalyst with unburnt fuel, which has the effect of knackering it (expensive).

Andy
Re: Starting from cold - Adam Going
Peter,

There really isn't a cure as such for this type of problem - the best answer is your own - don't do it again !! But seriously, if you have to literally move it a few yards, turn it round etc., do run the engine for two to three minutes at least so that it is beginning to get some temperature - this will hopefully clear any unburnt fuel left around the valves and pistons for the next start.

Cars which genearlly only get short runs are more prone, so a longer run once a week (car swop with partner is often the best bet if he/she is going further) may help. Using the right oil is important (to avoid hydraulic lifter problems), and a decarbonising agent such as Forte Gas Treatment can also help.

HTH, Adam
Re: Starting from cold - THe Growler
It occurs to me car design is going backward when we read this kind of stuff. To my mind a vehicle should do any damn thing it's supposed to and stop and start any number of times over any number of periods as required without fuss or argument. That's what I bought it for. If I have to nursemaid it like this because of some design fault that can't deal with a bit of unburnt fuel then the makers ought to be called to account for lousy mechanical design. I rest my case.
Re: Starting from cold - Ian Cook
I agree with you, Growler - but diesels do what you want and don't suffer these flooded cat problems!

By the way, are there many diesels in the Philippines? - or is it like the USA, all gas?

Ian
Re: Starting from cold - John S
Growler

Not always the makers fault. Cats were required by legislators, not engineers. Faced with that they've done a good job, but this is an occasional glitch that can happen. Once you know the technique then they do restart, and you soon learn to avoid it.

regards

John
Re: Starting from cold - Nicholas Moore
I couldn't agree more. But, yes, most problems seem to be created by busybody politicians and civil servants. Car design, fuel taxes, railways, the health service, agriculture etc etc did not get into the state they are in all by themselves - we had to pay the government billions to mess them up for us.
Re: Starting from cold - THe Growler
Dear Ian,

It is more diesel than gas and the congestion and pollution are simply huge. It is quite possible for an ancient bus to completely obliterate everything in front of you in dense black smoke. The govt (see elsewhere on this page) is sponsoring a project to produce a coconut oil/diesel mix. How far this wil get is debatable given that the country's main oil company is majority owned by Saudi Aramco! Anyway diesel is cheap enough at 18 UK pence a liter.
Re: Starting from cold - Brian
To say nothing of education, air traffic control, the legal system, policing, local government, devolution, Northern Ireland, power generation, road safety, child protection, firearms control, foot and mouth disease, nvBSE, drugs, AIDS, .............
I could go on, and on.............
But I won't.