Salvage Squad tonight - Adam Going
Evenin all,

Isn't it funny how when you see something on TV about which you really do know a fair bit (Oh alright, a lot!!) you realise who much horrendous misinformation we swallow on subjects about which we know not so much.

They made a very nice job of the Bristol restoration - but in two weeks ? PLEEEASE! And the final straw was the engine which had not run for years, transformed into a shiny concours winner in the last 6 hour "all nighter".

Wish we all had that golden touch !

Regards, Adam
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - ladas are slow
and i dont believe that the judges would make that car a concours, mainly because of the dirt in the spare wheel holder, the rust around the lower part of the engine, and that scratch in front of the bristol badge.
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - pete

And last weeks restoration of a Centurion tank. Wiittering on about the massive 12 cylinder Meteor engine whilst actually working on the 8 HP battery charging engine. How it won its class without enginecovers ( and air cleaners) I really dont know. A bogus programme.

Pete
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - David W
Pete,

If you've been anywhere near any form of TV production you'll know, whatever the program, it's still all done with mirrors.

It's all Bogus because it's only entertainment.

My mail box is still groaning under the weight of folks pointing out that steam roller in prog one was fitted with the wrong lower scuttle plate bolts.

David
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Flat in Fifth
David W wrote:
> If you've been anywhere near any form of TV production you'll
> know, whatever the program, it's still all done with mirrors.
>
> It's all Bogus because it's only entertainment.
>
> My mail box is still groaning under the weight of folks
> pointing out that steam roller in prog one was fitted with
> the wrong lower scuttle plate bolts.
>
> David

Hi David,

I sat down to watch this last night repeating under my breath the mantra you urged me to chant last week, and guess what Fenmeister, it worked.

Actually enjoyed the programme as did SWMBO Sr and Jnr versions. They were well impressed with the way "Elvis" formed that small plate to patch in the dodgy weld in the ns rear wing. I was amused by their comments during the judging when the bonnet was lifted to reveal not the mucky "will it run" monster from 6 hours earlier (allegedly) but something more presentable. Comments along the lines of "Oh come on credit us with some intelligence!" Obviously in the genes.

Can someone explain why they left the engine in while they restored what should have been at most a rolling shell? Oops chant mantra" I must........"

Mind you on the steam roller the lower scuttle plate bolts was one thing, how about the wrong number of rivets on the........ no must stop.

All the best,
Stuart
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Phil P
pete wrote:
>
>
> How it won its class without enginecovers ( and air cleaners) I
> really dont know. A bogus programme.
>
>

Pete,

I definitely heard the MC at the tank show say " . . . and last but not least, [the centurion team]" - they came last but it had been edited to try to hide the fact by adding some blurb from Lee Hurst over the top!

Phil
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - David Millar
First one of this series I have seen and I realised it might not be all it's cracked up to be when a Bristol 401 was identified as a 400 at the beginning. Still it was good to at least see a little technique as well as the frothy presentation for a mass audience. As I've rather lusted after a Bristol for 20 years but let prices get away from me, I am just a bit worried that too much exposure will continue to drive them ever upward. Fortunately, the £1,000 windscreen will put off all but the serious.

Must buy a lottery ticket.

David
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Honest John
I thought that show was about the best an enthusiast and the general public can expect on prime time tv. Obviously it has to be entertaining, which this show was. And obviously a time limit has to be put on the job otherwise the production would go on indefinitely and Channel 4 would go bust. That's the reason for time limits on everything from Changing Rooms to Ready Steady Cook. It ain't the real world. It's television. The real world is boring.

HJ
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Colin Standing
HJ On the contrary HJ and shame on you.

The real world is delightfully and permanently exciting and most media output, including anything to do with motoring, is a notch below drying paint.

Fortunately for my team I can switch of the bilge but the real world keeps on bright and clear.

Chin up

Colin S

P.S I still can't get the van to move.
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Dave
I agree with HJ. In places t was frustrating. I was only interested in the car yet we saw sewing and polishing. (Boring!!!)

However we're lucky to have anything remotely mechanically orientated on TV.

Anyone notice how the Elvis guy *really* hated the dark guy? Don't blame him either. A £1000 window breakage, that painful scratch and failing to clean the spare compartment!

Wonder who pays for the restorations? Owner or C4? Elvis seemed to be in charge in a way that he wouldn't be if C4 were footing the bill. Anyone got a theory?

Not a perfect program but as good as we can expect!
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Ian Cook
Yes, let's not forget that this is entertainment, paid for by C4's advertisers. I thought there were some interesting parts in it, but you need to have your tongue firmly in cheek with regard to the timescales and skills of the team members.

There's no way that anyone can "learn" panel those beating skills in a few hours, but I found the technique fascinating to watch (having practised it with my dad, who could panel beat) - including the diversion into aluminium welding.

I think the point of the presentation is to give the viewer an insight into the kinds of techiques and skills necessary for some of these jobs. The sad thing is that many of these skills could die out, or become commercially unviable.

The subjects for restoration have obvioulsy been carefully selected to generate interest among a reasonable cross section of viewers. I bet they wouldn't be interested in the grandfather clock that I have to rebuild - a total basket case, having (literally) fallen off the back of a lorry!

Must get my chisels sharpened!

Ian
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - John S
Yes, it was interesting to watch, and the aluminium welding job was amazing.

I realise it is aimed at a less car orientated audience, but I was struck by the glaring errors.

Concours preparation and paint without removing the engine?

How did the engine bay get detailed in the last 6 hours?

Did they really not run the engine'till the last day?

I didn't see anyone even look at the underneath during the restoration and that would be part of the judging process.

Still, shouldn't moan too much - it's a rare programme that actually isn't cooking or house makeover!

regards

John
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Alwyn
Who was it that said recently that the Salvage Squad seemed to know what they were doing? As far as I could see, they did very little and did not know much about that.

The female looked as if she needed a few grammes of caffeine to get her going, lounging on the wing, poking at a seam with one hand in her pocket to background to background intonations of, "Only 12 hours to go"

To say she had to learn in 2 hours what had taken other many years is just silly.

The inside of a steering column bearing is "slippy" Oh, Purleeeese.

Give me Scrapheap Challenge any day.
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Andrew Barnes

And that professional respray must have cost thousands!

>
> Who was it that said recently that the Salvage Squad seemed
> to know what they were doing? As far as I could see, they
> did very little and did not know much about that.
>
> The female looked as if she needed a few grammes of caffeine
> to get her going, lounging on the wing, poking at a seam with
> one hand in her pocket to background to background
> intonations of, "Only 12 hours to go"
>
> To say she had to learn in 2 hours what had taken other many
> years is just silly.
>
> The inside of a steering column bearing is "slippy" Oh,
> Purleeeese.
>
> Give me Scrapheap Challenge any day.
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Darcy Kitchin
It's a recurring theme that scrapheap Challenge competitors always wait 'til the last minute to start the engine powering their device. Didn't find out much about that engine though, did we?
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Lee H
Alwyn wrote:

>Give me Scrapheap Challenge any day

I'd prefer either to the usual tripe of soap operas, DIY & cooking programs.

Lee.
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - mike
author "lee h"

the presenter of the show is lee hurst...........
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - ian (cape town)
Lee Hurst? isn't he the talentless, unfunny, comedian fellow?
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Lee H
Ah-ha!

No, sorry I'm another H, although I probably possess all the attributes you mention! :-)

Lee.
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - alex
Did the owner get the car restored for free then like in Ground Force / Changing rooms.

Sorry if someone has asked this already - so many posts to read.

Top gear so naff now , that i watched this instead.

JC was on TV advertising his 'best car feature' in the Times (?)

Will he return to Top Gear - also QW?

Ta Alex
Re: Salvage Squad tonight - Bill Doodson
As HJ says its entertainment, I didnt bother with last nights show as the first two had been so bad. What the hell Lee "baldy" is doing presenting it god only knows. There is no way anything in this show is going to be repaired in ten days. I am helping a friend build a robot for robot wars, (I,m doing the alloy welding) and thats taken nearly 2 years. At this rate the show will have finished before we have somthing to compete. It goes back to some old threads (long scince gone about engineers and mechanics)

Bill
Re: Return of Top Gear - Honest John
The strange thing was, at the end of the turgid Top Gear Awards, our Jason announced that Top Gear would be returning later in the year. This is completely contrary to the news that the BPC had flogged it off to Channel 5 to be called 5th Gear and headed by Quent. But add the other rumour that the BPC could be doing a deal with JC (they need him; he needs them) and it may well be that the Balding Eagle's Nest will make his return to the show which he made famous and which made him rich. (JC's blad patch is now about 3" in diameter, confirmed from the balcony at Pasha on 20th December).

HJ
Re: Return of Top Gear JC's 3'' dia bald patch - alex
Re JC's 3 in diameter bald patch

Why the hat then HJ, even saw you wearing it on TV - is it a surrogate toupee then?

Alex

PS HJ what spell checker do you use ?
Salvage Squad tonight - AFM
The owner of the car, Ann, was married to the Elvis character who just happened to be an ex-Rolls-Royce man who owns his own classic car restoration business. A remarkable co-incidence that. The salvage squad team seemed to get in the way of the restoration. The business must have got some useful plugs from the programme.
I've worked it out... - ian (cape town)
This Salvage Squad?
Maybe the producer comes from Blue Peter, where they are ALLOWED to say "and here's one I made earlier!"
:)
Re: I've worked it out... - Honest John
Not to Alex.

I don't use a spellchecker for postings to The Backroom. Don't have the time.

HJ