Corrosion from road salt after drying - L'escargot
Am I right in thinking that road salt will cause little or no corrosion if the car is dry? I use a dehumidifier in my garage, and I assume that this will make washing the car to remove the salt less important. As I'm retired my car doesn't get used every day, so it has a chance to dry.

Incidentally, I understand that "gritters" don't spread grit nowadays ~ it's totally rock salt. Am I right?
--
L\'escargot.
Corrosion from road salt after drying - Oz
You're right in that rust can't occur without moisture, so a dehumidifier can't do any harm. IMHO the question is whether a dehumidifier will get rid of all moisture fast enough to guarantee no chance of rust anywhere. The danger would be if there could be slower drying pockets due to presence of mud etc.
Oz (as was)
Corrosion from road salt after drying - teabelly
It sounds like a good question to ask the Brainiac team off Sky One. Hopefully two caravans will be destroyed in the process ;-)
teabelly
Corrosion from road salt after drying - runboy
Good question, one I was wondering the other night when I drove down a freshly salted road where it sounded like driving down a gravel path with the amount bouncing around the wheel arches.

I know modern cars are well protected but I can't get to wash the car until the weekend, so will leaving the salt residue on there for a few days cause any problems?

I did think about just turning the hosepipe on the car and under the wheel arches, but being dark I couldn't do a proper job so maybe doing a little would do more harm by wetting the salt than leaving it and doing a proper job on Saturday?
Corrosion from road salt after drying - sierraman
Hosing the arches may force a saline solution behind the wheelarch liners.I stripped mine out last W/E and found a few pockets of trapped mud.Wirebrushed the loose stuff off,blew it out with an airline and Commawaxed vulnerable areas.
Corrosion from road salt after drying - Hamsafar
The salt used on the roads isn't the same as that you sprinkle into your soup, it is a mixture of all sorts, mostly calcium chloride, this attracts moisture from the air like there's no tomorrow, in fact it has many industrial uses for drawing moisture and will draw it until it becomes a solute in the water it attracts.
Corrosion from road salt after drying - Red Baron
If you are really worried about salt corrosion then I would hose down or rinse the affected areas with water, including the nooks and crannies.

Salt has an affinity for moisture and therefore will be the last material to dry out when you use a dehumidifier. In fact I would be very surprised if the salt-rich areas dry out at all.

To dry salt completely you would have to heat it to over 100°C to drive off the water. Moisture in the air and a few ions of salt is all it takes to corrode steel.
Corrosion from road salt after drying - martint123
A lot of dehumidifiers don't work lower than 5C. So in this weather it may still be damp?
Corrosion from road salt after drying - L'escargot
A lot of dehumidifiers don't work lower than 5C. So in
this weather it may still be damp?

Fortunately my garage is an integral one with insulated cavity walls, double glazed window, and a radiator. (Not relevant, I know, but it also has plastered walls, with skirting boards!) The temperature rarely drops below 10 degC.
--
L\'escargot.
Corrosion from road salt after drying - Group B
I always use an Arc car wash (used to be Imo), which has water jets that spray the underside of the car. Not sure but you might be able to choose underbody protection also, can't remember for sure..

I've noticed my girlfriends 03-plate MX-5 is developing a surprising amount of surface rust on the rear suspension arms, we'll have to get it Waxoyled or something. Is it worth doing?

;o)
Corrosion from road salt after drying - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Road salt is surely still sodium chloride in the main?
The rock salt from Winsford in Cheshire has an analysis of 90% Sodium Chloride a few percent Calcium Sulphate and some anti caking agent. I presume the rest is insoluble grit?
I did note there was a new formulation for wet spreading.
As calcium chloride does not seem to be a natural consistent of rock salt it would be a very expensive change to make.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Corrosion from road salt after drying - David Horn
Surely underbody rust on a modern car is neither here nor there due to the excellent protection?

The only time the underbody of my car gets cleaned is when I drive through a particularly deep puddle.
Corrosion from road salt after drying - Group B
Surely underbody rust on a modern car is neither here nor
there due to the excellent protection?

Yes the underside of the chassis itself is coated in a thick layer of underseal. But most of the brake, suspension, fuel tank, exhaust parts bolted underneath are not, so these are the bits that can rust.
I had a Mk3 Golf fail its MoT on 2 badly corroded brake lines and rusty support straps on the fuel tank (admittedly it was 8 years old at the time).

Like sierraman says, I was surprised how much mud and grit can get stuck behind wheelarch liners too.

:0)
Corrosion from road salt after drying - Red Baron
eh?

I don't know where Calcium Chloride came from. This is a gelling or thickening agent used in aqueous solutions. I couldn't comment as to its potential in lowering the freezing point of water.
eh?
I don't know where Calcium Chloride came from. This is
a gelling or thickening agent used in aqueous solutions. I
couldn't comment as to its potential in lowering the freezing point
of water.

Ishok Leyland made the claim about a new formulation which got me checking.
--
Aided by the intense heat evolved during its dissolution, calcium chloride is also used as an ice-melting compound. Unlike the more-common sodium chloride (rock salt or halite), it is relatively harmless to plants and soil. It is also more effective at lower temperatures than sodium chloride. When distributed for this use, it usually takes the form of small white balls a few millimetres in diameter (see picture at top of page).
(Above info. plus lots more in Wikipedia).
IIRC rock salt is intended to prevent the snow freezing onto the road rather than melting it.
As it is chemically reactive, the distribution/storage process of calcium chloride is going to be different and how do you avoid chemical burns etc. when you shower pedestrians?
--