Diesel options - NickS
Afternoon all!

My Current car is a 54 regd Golf 1.4 FSI, but due to an an increase in my annual mileage (for various reasons non work related) im thinking about swapping it for something diesel powered. My initial idea was just to swap it for a diesel golf, and as such i test drove an 04 Black 3dr 1.9 TDI at the weekend whilst mine was in having a door seal replaced under warranty. I paid (well my parents paid) £11,495 for my Golf when it was about 3months old, 6 months ago. By Trading it in, I expected to make a loss, however the dealer (VW) would only offer me £9000 against the TDI. Im not happy about losing £2500 in 6 months. So my options are;

1) Sell my Golf privately (£10-£10.5k?) and get the TDi

2) Trade it in and see the money come back in fuel savings

3) Sell my Golf privately and get a Fabia VRs/Old shape Leon 130Tdi or similar (i used to have a Leon and liked it alot)

4) Keep my Golf because my annual mileage of circa 20k prob wouldnt cost me a alot mor in petrol than it would in Diesel.

5)Any other options

Thansk in advance!
Diesel options - mss1tw
Personally I'd go for 3, although maybe not if the fuel savings are negligible.
Diesel options - cheddar
Sell the Golf privately and get something non VAG because it would be better VFM and more reliable.
Diesel options - oldtoffee
Option 4 is probably the most sensible unless you get quite poor consumption from the Golf. Saying that, I'd be tempted by 3. You'll get people here criticising VW build quality and reliability but my experiences are all positive if you omit the dealers themselves. If you can get £10.5K for yours then an extra £1.5K will easily get you a new Fabia vRS and you will eventually recoup the extra £s in fuel savings - how soon of course depends on your mileage. If it helps, I average 44mpg out of my vRS (enthusiastically driven) although I estimate 80% of my miles are motorway or fast A roads where the high 6th gear comes in handy for economy. Skoda or Seat gets you out of the VW dealerships - worth doing IMHO. I'd also look at the Focus TDCI -good build, good reliability and a good drive, economy not quite as strong as VW units, I nearly bought one but my heart ruled my head and I'm happy.
Diesel options - NowWheels
Suggest you start by calculating what the actual fuel savings would be.
Diesel options - MoneyMart
I agree - it's impossible to give any sensible answer as you haven't actually said what your new mileage will be.

Rough calculations :

10,000 miles in a Petrol car @ 40mpg = 250 gallons @ approx £4.15/gal = £1037 in fuel

10,000 miles in a Diesel car @ 55mph = 181 gallons @ approx £4.30/gal = £778 in fuel

So over 10,000 miles you'd save £259 in fuel costs. So hardly going to offset the cost of changing is it?

Now, if you're talking 40,000 miles a year then the savings become more significant and it may be worth changing.

Also consider servicing costs and future value. E.G a 100,000 miler 1.4 petrol will be worth peanuts compared to a 100,000 miler diesel.
------------
MoneyMart

Current car: 55-reg Audi A4 2.5 V6TDi Quattro flappy-paddle
Diesel options - Dulwich Estate
"I paid (well my parents paid) £11495 for MY Golf."

Do Mum & Dad know about this?

Grumpy Dad of two teenagers who want, but won't be getting, a car (each).
Diesel options - Happy Blue!
Had the very same discussion last night with a guy who may be doing 25,000 miles pa. We worked on a Volvo S60 2.0T auto doing an average of 25mpg and an equivalent executive car doing 40mpg. (A mutual mate has an S60 D5 auto doing almost 40mpg with mostly motorway work).

The difference at for both Petrol and Diesel was worked out at £1,534pa at 90ppl. If Petrol is cheaper than Diesel by 5ppl, then the difference is less. Worthwhile I reckon if you have to change cars anyway and the Diesel is no more than £1,500 more to buy. If you are changinge to get better economy, I would save the money unless the minimum saving was at least £1,500pa.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Diesel options - daveyjp
I read a very good cost comparison report between an A4 1.9 TDi and a 2.0 FSi - the two were chosen as they had similar purchase costs and similar performance. After everything was taken in to account - purchase costs, depreciation, servicing, road tax and maintenance the diesel worked out about 5p per mile cheaper to run.

In the case of the Golf above the cost to change would have to be zero and then possible road tax and insurance increases will need to be considered to see if there are any savings.
Diesel options - bradgate
"After everything was taken in to account - purchase costs, depreciation, servicing, road tax and maintenance the diesel worked out about 5p per mile cheaper to run."

I do 15,000 miles a year, so over a 3-year ownership period, therefore, I would save £2250 by choosing the diesel. That certainly would be enough to sway my decision.
Also consider servicing costs and future value. E.G a 100,000 miler
1.4 petrol will be worth peanuts compared to a 100,000 miler
diesel.

Plus consider possible costs of changing from a car with known history to an older vehicle of less certain provenance.
Diesel options - jase1
Also consider servicing costs and future value. E.G a 100,000 miler
1.4 petrol will be worth peanuts compared to a 100,000 miler
diesel.

Would it though? I suspect that both cars would be worth peanuts (especially if it takes 5 years to get to that 100K miles). Probably only talking a few hundred pounds' difference.

Compared to the additional cost that the diesel would cost in the first place, the diesel most certainly won't make all of that back on resale.

I did some calculations on this a few weeks back, and found that if a diesel has a £2000 premium on the new price, you need to run it 100K just to break even (ignoring depreciation). Even allowing for depreciation, you'd have to do a lot of miles in the diesel before you started to really feel the benefits financially.
Diesel options - nortones2
IIRC, the VW 2.0 FSI is dearer than the diesel 2.0 to buy.
Diesel options - NickS
Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies so far. Im thinking of putting it on autotrader at £10,500 and seeing if anyone bites, if not, im quite happy to keep it, if they do, then I think a vRS is the car for me (although i saw a very nice 05 (old shape) Focus 3dr TDCI in Metallic grey for £9500 today)

MoneyMart- I stated above my Annual mileage would be about 20k, i can only give a rough estimate im afraid.

Does anyone know of any deals going on old shape leons? I have had a look on Seat's site but couldnt see anything. It would have to be the TDI 130.
Diesel options - Cardew
IMO there is a tendency to over-estimate the advantage in fuel economy of a diesel over petrol, and this is especially so with an auto gearbox.

Most of the magazines I have read give the diesel a 20% advantage over the equivalent petrol for everyday motoring. So, again IMO, the figures given in posts above of 40mpg to 55mpg and 25mpg to 40mpg are optimistic.

For a golf sized car I would think a realistic fuel saving would be in the order of £20 per 1,000 miles, perhaps a little less.

If Nick were to get a vRS I would think any savings on fuel would be cancelled out by an increase in insurance premium - especially if he is young enough?? to be given a car by parents.
Does anyone know of any deals going on old shape leons?
I have had a look on Seat's site but couldnt see
anything. It would have to be the TDI 130.

Why? If you are looking for cost savings, you'll find that the lower-powered TDIs are cheaper to buy and to run, and still faster than the 1.4 petrol.

I'd still suggest that if your aim is reduce costs, that it'd be a good idea to do a full cost analysis of your current car, and do the same for any potential replacement. As others have suggested, it's not just purchase costs v fuel. There is also insurance: the Golf is group 5 versus 9 for the Fabia VRs or 10 for the Leon 130 , and as a younger male driver you may find that makes quite a difference to your premium. Add in servicing costs, road tax (might the diesel be higher?), servicing costs, and the fact that some of the cars you are looking at buying seem to be older with higher mileage, so will be out of warranty sooner.

Once you've calculated the full costs you'll be in a better position to decide how to balance the costs against the thrills.
Diesel options - NickCa
What about a 2.0 TDi (140bhp) Octavia? Should get a decent spec nearly new (under 10k miles) one for under £11k. Does over 50mpg with normal usage and has plenty of power? Have heard that the 140bhp is actually more fuel efficient than the 130bhp as it is a more modern engine.

Nick