Golf 04 Water leak - netlang
A friend has a 04 Golf and she has found that water has started leaking into the boot area. Unfortunately, the leak has damaged a 10CD interchanger (18 months old) in the boot (it was very wet) and it no longer works.

My question - Will the VW manufacturers warranty cover the water leak and consequential damage to the CD changer?
Golf 04 Water leak - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
If you are very polite and insistent you might get a contribution from VW if it was a factory/dealer fit extra.Not so sure otherwise.
Many Passat owners are suffering consequential damage of convenience control modules from leaking pollen filter housings.
A large discount on the replacement costs is as good as you get.
First fix your leak!
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Golf 04 Water leak - Malcolm_L
Most unusual for pollen filter housing to leak from new, it normally happens when the filters are replaced as the housing is notoriously difficult to refit correctly.
Golf 04 Water leak - AR-CoolC
it
normally happens when the filters are replaced as the housing is
notoriously difficult to refit correctly.

No their not, it's just very easy to no bother doing it correctly.
Golf 04 Water leak - cheddar
The changer may dry out ok if opened up and left in a warm place for a few days, also the wiring to it (plug) may well need to be dried.
Golf 04 Water leak - NowWheels
If you are very polite and insistent you might get a
contribution from VW if it was a factory/dealer fit extra.Not so
sure otherwise.

I'd have thought that if you can demonstrate that (on the balance of probabilities) the leak was the result of faulty design or shoddy servicing, that you would have a case for the consequential damage -- provided that you could show that you had tried to mitigate your losses.

But it depends whether you have the stomach for a legal battle -- if not, the polite but insistent route might be better.

Golf 04 Water leak - kenl
It will cover the leak but not sure about the changer.

Please post if you find out the cause of the leak.
Golf 04 Water leak - charlesb
When I was researching leaks on my Bora, I found that there are several possible Golf faults which lead to water ingress through the tailgate...

www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/271506/ShowPost.aspx

Seems that the rearscreen washer fluid pipe can get detached and spray water inside, or the light clusters or some seals underneath the rear bumper can leak...

-------------------
VW Bora (51) 2.0 SE
VW Touran (54) 1.9 TDI
Thanks for these suggestions you have all been most helpful
A bit of an update on this post.

My friend has now had the water leak repaired (It was the rear washer hose leaking and an obviously know fault). The dealer has fixed the problem and in addition replaced the headling (consequential damage) but it did not looked damaged at all but they have refused to replace the CD exchanger as it is (consequential damage). The dealer did say that if the exchanger was a VW one it would have been changed!?

They have no been quoted with The Sales of Goods act and they are now "thinking" about what to do next.