Range Rover cuts out - trickynicky
1987 3.5 EFI (not hot wire)Ranger Rover. Recently tickover has become uneven, and when engine has been working hard for ten minutes or so, it dies and won't start. Good spark, fuel pump running and there is fuel at the engine. Leave it for ten minutes or so and it will start and run normally. It only seems to happen when it's been working hard for a bit. With normal gentle driving it seems ok. I definitely think it's temperature related.
Any ideas?
Range Rover cuts out - Hamsafar
We had one of these yonks ago (E reg).
It used to do this, it was an auto and would stall while parking etc... it turned out to be the battery. The battery was fine for starting and never seemed a problem. After replacing idle valve etc... a Land Rover technician said, "I bet it's the battery", which I didn't believe, but replaced anyway and it never did it again
It was like there wasn't enough steady volatge for the ECU and sensors etc... You should also check earth straps on engine. You would think it would do it more so when cold, but I assume the cold running programme is more tolerant or the parameters you get when cold are not affected by voltage fluctuations as much.
Range Rover cuts out - Aprilia
Vapour lock?

Sensor troubles? ('scope their output when hot).
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try
Range Rover cuts out - Screwloose
tn

Could be a lot of things on these; but check the little vacuum hose from the fuel pressure capsule on the back of the fuel rail and that the flap in the air-metering valve isn't sticking open.

The ignition module on the dizzy gets a bit hot when it's been working hard and can sometimes retard the timing. Worth removing it and checking that it's heat-sink goo hasn't dried-up.

The big thing on these though is the coolant temp sensor; test or change that first.
Thanks for that. Can you help me identify where that coolant sensor is please. I think I know which is the one for the temp gauge, but I think there are two more directly behind the water pump?
tn

Yes; that's the place. It's screwed into the front of the inlet manifold; two wires, silly wire-clipped squarish plug.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that. will this sensor cut the engine dead if it thinks that it is overheating?
tn

Doubtful if it will be able to cut a cruising engine; but it could cause it to seriously over-fuel and that will soot the plugs causing no-idle and hot restart problems.
Thanks for your help. Will have a go at the w/end and let you know
sl
It was the coolant sensor. Thanks for your help
tn

Glad to hear that sorted it. Thanks for coming back with the outcome.