1996 rover 400 wont start - wombler
Hi , I have a 96 rover 400 2.0 td and it refuses to start. It turns over no problem but will not fire. If i push it it will start easily but will not start from the key. It started to play up about a 2 months ago being hard to start so i changed the heater plugs and the fuel filter, it then went great for about a month then started to get hard to start again and now it just wont start. I also changed the hand primer that sits tank side of the fuel filter as i was told it may be a faulty valve but that made no difference. I was told that the engine may be done - is this the most likely reason or is it possible that the pump timing may have slipped as i am able to shake the belt when the cover is off?

any help wud be much appreciated as it is really starting to bug me now

1996 rover 400 wont start - mfarrow
We had the same problem with, our 400 Tourer. How old's the battery? Turns out this was our problem: there was enough life in it to turn over but not for ignition/ECU to fire.

Though I may be wrong as yours is a diesel, but the fact that it will start up when pushed but not on starter motor suggests battery, or earthing lead fault from engine/gearbox. Clean the earthing lead connectors to the body and try again. Then new battery.

--------------
Mike Farrow
1996 rover 400 wont start - wombler
the battery is brand new as i also thought this might be the problem.
1996 rover 400 wont start - Peter D
you need to check the ignition switch is still providing the amin 12 v feed when the key is turned to starter mode. If you bump start the car then run it for 2 mins then start it on the key does it go ?? If it does then you need to get the starter cranking speed and the cold compression checked. Regards Peter