bmw e36 "knocking" - adam f
looking for a little help with my e36 saloon.There is a knocking noise coming from under the bonnet and it happens with intervals between 5-10 seconds. Im not to clever with the more technical things with cars and your help is very appreciated. Also i think the baffle has gone in the silencer and was wondering if this is quite a large job and roughly the costs involved.Many thanks in advance.
bmw e36 "knocking" - dollygolfmids
what engine is it... does this happen when driving or when idling, if its driving theres a few things that should be checked and are commen... antiroll drop links fail, springs and shockers, shocker mounting (rear ones very commen) engine mounts r less commen but worth a look.. exhuast braket off the gearbox usually brakes to....

the exhuast backbox replacement is pretty straight forward, just ensure u have new bolts/nuts a few quid and they can save u loadz of hassle!.. u can pick up an exhuast from most motorpart outlets and traders, cheaper than genuine BMW... although u will have to drop the exhuast from the front, saw off the old backbox section, and using a sleeve/and or clamp fit the new one in roughly the same place.
bmw e36 "knocking" - adam f
the car is a 316i.It is happening when driving and idleing
bmw e36 "knocking" - dollygolfmids
if youve got a knocking at idle.. depending on the mileage.. its going to be coming from the engine.. check the obvious.. is there any oil in it!... id then do a cylinder leakage test incase you have fried piston rings (causing a certain amount of piston "slap")... if you have compression/combustion issues it will be obvious at idle, you will feel it... it all that checks out fine, although rare on the engine, big end bearings can cause some intresting noise when they wear.