Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - driller
I'm off to look at a Peugeot 607SE (3L V6) for about £5k. Can anyone here tell me how good they really are and what should I look out for?
Many thanks
Gareth
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - madf
year?.
madf
oops...year is dec 2000 on an x plate
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - machika
Didn't realise they were that expensive for one that age. Don't you fancy a 2.2 HDI?
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Sprice
Historically, large (Granada class) French cars have never sold that well, and as a result they have eye-watering depreciation. The price of this 607 seems very expensive, so I'm assuming its at a main dealer?

Never owned a French car (can't see it either, too used to Japanese reliability!) I hear they ride well, but have temperamental electrics, especially the ones with loads of toys.

In short, there's better cars out there for 5k.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Big Bad Dave
I love em, nice and huge but there are several 2001 models below 5k on autotrader although not in 3 litre form. I?ve got the same engine in my 406, I can get 35mpg on a long run, 22 after a week of short stop-starty school runs and 29 average for the last 5000 miles. It?s a hoot to drive.

I?ll probably get one after the 406 so I?ll be interested to see what you think of it Driller. But I?m with Machika, I?ll go for a diesel auto next time.
"In short, there's better cars out there for 5k"

What, offering the same size, spec, engine size and age? What are they?
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Xileno {P}
Best as HDi.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Altea Ego
Well maintained big frog lux-o-barges provide excelent value for the second user who want luxury motoring at low cost.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
You the man RF!
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Sprice
A similaer age Vauxhall Omega 3.0 could be had for that, a superior car.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - doug_r1
The garage by me is asking £7999 for an X-reg 3.0 litre auto se, full leather, sat nav, etc with 54,000 on the clock. It does look a lot of car for the price.
This looks the price range
PeUGEOT 607 3.0 V6 SE, 01, Auto, metallic, full black leather, colour Sat/Nav, GSM telephone, parktronic, climate, CD, alloys, serviced only 50k, cost new £32k, like new, real bargain at only. . ono. . . . . (trade)
£6,495
40miles

£7999 for an X looks VERY OTT
madf
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Stuartli
>>£7999 for an X looks VERY OTT>>

madf states it's around £5k.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Omega 3.0. Yeah my old man had one, not as big, not as pretty, dreary, dated-looking, not as well kitted out and broke down so often it made him ill. I blame that car for the down-turn in my father?s health. Truly the most horrendous thing that ever sat on our driveway.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Bill Payer
I had one as a courtesy car from Peugeot for a month. It was 2.2HDi auto, sat nav, elec everything (inc the headrests!) and it was fab for motorway wafting - 2000RPM at 70MPH.
BUT, I found a lot of people looked at me!! I looked up an old road-test of the car and the tester said the same thing. I reckon people are wondering 'what on earth possessed you to buy that car'?
The car doesn't exude any quality - it's just a 406 with the corners pulled out, so it still has road and wind noise and it rattles. Its handling wasn't as good as the 406 though, so you really needed to drive it like a limo.

It's hard to imagine that there would be much demand for a 3L petrol version. Call a dealer and say you've got one for sale and ask him how much he'll give you for it. Bet he won't want it at any price.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - cheddar
BUT, I found a lot of people looked at me!!
I looked up an old road-test of the car and the
tester said the same thing. I reckon people are wondering
'what on earth possessed you to buy that car'?>>

I can sympathise with that, I had a well specced 2.2 petrol 607 as a hire car for a couple of days approx 3 years ago, it did nothing badly as such though totally lacked character, was as boring as hell to drive and was not an attractive environment to be in. I am afraid to say that I find this with most modern Peugeots, a far cry from the 80's when they were innovators and class leaders with the 405 and 205.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - peterb
"it's just a 406 ...."

IIRC it's actually based on the rather older 605.

I wouldn't get one myself, but I can see the attraction. Lots of space, lots of toys, nice wafty V6 petrol burble, decent ride (how come the French do this so well?).
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Collos25
A little bit over priced ,you will get get just as much fun at half the running costs out of a 2.0 petrol or even better 2.2hdi.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Bill Payer
"it's just a 406 ...."
IIRC it's actually based on the rather older 605.

I said 406 'cos that was my car at the time - what I really meant was that (from a quality etc point of view) it's just like a bigger version of a smaller car - it's not engineered and manufactured as a larger, quality car like, say, an E Class Merc.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - nutty_nissan
Very smooth riding car, great for wafting over speed humps at 30mph without feeling a thing!
In terms of depreciated metal .. £30k new .. it's good value.
In terms of what you actually get : driving wise: overpriced.
Good if you keep for 6-8 years. But try to sell in 18 months time? Horrendous depreciation...
madf
Thanks for all your interesting comments. Sadly...its been sold but after reading your opinions...I'm inclined to agree that is does seem a bit steep. I also asked a few friends who know about these things & they also commented on the unreliable toys that are fitted which cost an arm & a leg to repair.
So it looks like another fiesta then?
Gareth
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - nutty_nissan
Surely you want the top spec 607 complete with electric boot closing? Load up, press a button, and watch the boot shut without any of your involvement. You won't get that on the Fiesta.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - machika
So it looks like another fiesta then?
Gareth

What were you looking at a 607 for if you really want a Fiesta? Not really like for like are they? If you want a big comfortable car, there are other options, one being a C5.
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - doug_r1
Isn't a C5 a 607 with a Citroen badge?
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - rip
Isn't a C5 a 607 with a Citroen badge?>>

no, the c5 is a 407. Although the c5 may produce a 3.0 v6 (they did with the xantia anyhow)

the 607 competes with the c6. don?t underestimate the c6, it may even out depreciate the 607!
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - tr7v8
Sorry a C5 is a small 3 wheeled electric car built by Clive Sinclair

Jim
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - happytorque
the C5 is available in 3.0 V6 form. A lovely car and dirt cheap secondhand,...if you can track one down. Better still get one of the excellent diesels and you will have a big comfy car that rides like a limo and does 50mpg....hard to beat. I dont know why more people dont drive them!
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - PhilW
"the C5 is available in 3.0 V6 form. A lovely car and dirt cheap secondhand,."
Even more true of the Xantia - a few 3.0litre (Exclusive models with all the bits and bobs) around very cheap
--
Phil
Peugeot 607 ...should I buy it? - Adam {P}
I dont know why more people dont drive them!<<

They may be a dying breed but some people may still like the sound of a nice big petrol engine ;-)