2001 - suspension thud - andy30
how do,

i've got an issue with my 51reg mondeo mk3 with 25k

when going over bumps the noise from the suspension (i think) is noticable, like thud or thump.

it sound basically like you can hear the dampers working instead of being silent.

and now its out of warranty i'm most unhappy.

possibly slightly less noisy when warmed up is that possible?

Edited by Webmaster on 20/04/2009 at 09:54

mondeo mk3 suspension thud - cheddar
Front or rear?

Also this should be in Technical. Tis now ;o) DD}
mondeo mk3 suspension thud - Dave E
My '01 Zetec had exactky the fault as you describe. Unfortunately, it is the sound of your rear subframe failing, a common fault. Ford are aware of this but never issued a recall. I believe they have a fix whereby the bushes are replaced.

If you have owned the vehicle from new then I would expect Ford would make a contribution.
Rather as per comments in the recent Focus cambelt thread where should the manufacturers liabilities end? Afterall andy30's car is 5 years old this year!

My Mondeo is 4 years old later this year, has done 101k and I recently noticed a slight knocking from the rear, the subframe bushes going, the Ford dealer solution is a new subframe at around £350 (they are talking a doing a bush kit though it is not available yet), I bought a set of Powerflex poly bushes, fitted them over Christmas and all is well but for the need to get the alignment checked hence my thread on that subject.

I really would not expect the manufacturer to contribute towards the cost of suspension bushes on a car that has done 100k and/or is 5 or more years old. Also even if they paid half the cost of a new subframe it would still have cost me more than fitting the poly bushes myself.

Regards.

I meant to say that in all other respects I have had the car serviced and attended to by a Ford dealer and will continue to do so because I get good service, however with regard to the rear subframe bushes I am of the opinion that Powerflex have come up with a superior solution to the issue than Ford have to date.
mondeo mk3 suspension thud - Quinny100
I had the subframe done on my previous Mk3 under warranty - I hadn't really noticed the noise but it was noticeably quieter after it was done. I was told the subframe and bush design has never been changed and the fault would probably recur. If I'd have kept the car I'd have had a set of Powerflex bushes fitted to it after 30k on the second subframe.
mondeo mk3 suspension thud - andy30
ok so are powerflex one's availible at ford?

so if i let ford take a look they will give me 2 options?

and what if i left it, as i paid £500 for a new clutch in september?
ok so are powerflex one's availible at ford?

No, from Demon Tweaks etc. The Ford dealer have mentioned that a bush kit may be made available from Ford service/parts depts though it is not yet, also there is no indication as to waht it consists of.
so if i let ford take a look they will give
me 2 options?>>

Currently one option, a new subframe.
and what if i left it, as i paid £500 for
a new clutch in september?

If it gets too 'bad' it will clonk a lot, the handling will go a bit woolly and the subframe will be scrap because the holes that the bushes locate into will get worn.
mondeo mk3 suspension thud - trymybest
Ford do supply a bush kit for the ear subframe now.it's not a particularly difficult job if the vehicle is on a ramp.The only downside is that the vehicle must not be driven for 24 hours to allow the loctite that you glue the bushes in with to cure.
mondeo mk3 suspension thud - trymybest
Or even the rear subframe!
I bought my Powerflex bushes in October though only fitted them last week however I was advised just before Christmas that the Ford kit is not yet available and may not be for some while.

Re gluing, this would mean for the average DIYer that they would have to do one side then wait 24 hours, do the other side and wait another 24 hours before driving the car. The Powerflex bushes do not need glueing, they are poly instead of rubber and push right through the subframe with a lip protruding both sides to hold them in place.
mondeo mk3 suspension thud - andy30
how much are we talking through the ford dealer?

cos its getting a bit noisy now
mondeo mk3 suspension thud - FMondy
Does anyone know where I can go and get Powerflex polybrushes fitted (in the North West of UK).

I think my Mondys got the same problem, I hear a knocking sound coming from the rear of my car. Theres a creaking sound produced when I push the rear of the car up and down. Also the car seems to be hanging lower than it normally did.
mondeo mk3 suspension thud - exforces
I have been told (by Ford dealership) that the MK3 Estate has a different suspension to the saloon & hatchback and so doesn't suffer from this 'bush' problem that seems to afflict the MK3.
That is correct, the Mondeo saloon and hatch have a more sophisticted system, the rear subframe bushes tend to fail at around 3 to 4 years and 100k miles, cheap to do now that bush kits are available.

The estate has a different system and X-Types, all models, (based on the Mondeo) use a version of the Mondeo estate rear suspension because it accomodates the rear diff etc for the AWD versions.

Hence why X-Types are quite as sharp as Mondeos to drive.