Rover 45 2.0 TDi starting problems - Dave B.
I have a 2000 (W) Rover 45 which does not like starting in the cold weather. I had new glowplugs fitted about a month ago which seemed to have improved the problem, but with this latest cold spell it has gone back to not starting properly. I have tried leaving the glow plug light on for longer before trying to start it, but the only thing which seems to eventually work is to pump the accelerator until it eventually catches. The car has covered 74,000 miles and although the battery appears to be the original the cranking speed seems fine and the battery condition indicator has always been green. Under normal conditions I hardly turn the key and she is away and runs great returning approx. 50-54mpg.

Any ideas would be most welcome!
Rover 45 2.0 TDi starting problems - Civic8
glow plug light should be left untill it goes out before trying to start,in this weather I turn ign off then back on again works a treat-you will find the colder it gets the longer the lamp will be on for
--
Steve
Rover 45 2.0 TDi starting problems - stokie
Can't explain why all is well in warm weather but not cold, but here's what I'd do with your car...

It could be that one (maybe 2) of the new glowplugs has failed.
To test this rig up a 2 foot long test lead with a brake light bulb let into it.
Disconnect the electrical feed at the top of the glow plug, then touch one end of the test lead on the battery positive terminal, the other on the top of the glowplug. If the bulb lights that glowplug is OK. If it doesn't light the plug is open circuit and needs replacing.

In my experience (pug 106) renewing all glowplugs doesn't prevent one failing soon after, it's cheaper to wait for the symptoms then replace the faulty one each time.

Good luck
Rover 45 2.0 TDi starting problems - Crinkly Dave
"I have tried leaving the glow plug light on for longer"

As said above, you should leave the glowplugs on until the indicator light goes out by itself. Try a second burst if you want, but first make sure the indicator goes out.
One of the glowplugs may have failed, but before you check them I would suggest you get the battery checked on a high discharge meter. The glowplugs and starter on a diesel take extremely high current, particularly in cold weather, and will find out any flaw with a battery.
Rover 45 2.0 TDi starting problems - Dave B.
Been trying second bust method with the glowplugs and so far so good. very frosty this morning and she fired up no problem.

Thanks to all for your advice!