Hazard Warning Lights - AngryJonny

Am I alone in being confused by hazard warning lights sometimes? If a vehicle is parked with its hazards on (free parking lights) and the nearside is obscured, it looks like the vehicle is signalling to pull out.

Is there any reason why indicators are also used as hazard warning lights? Would it be better to have a distinct set of lights for that purpose?
Hazard Warning Lights - mjm
They used to mean that the vehicle had become a hazard, puncture, broken down etc. Now they mean that if you put them on you can park anywhere you like. They can also mean that all the traffic in front is braking, so if you can't see all the brake lights, look at my hazard lights flashing!
Hazard Warning Lights - Hamsafar
People shouldn't use them if something is obscuring the behind, as they are not the hazzard anymore, it's the one behind.
Hazard Warning Lights - L'escargot
Am I alone in being confused by hazard warning lights sometimes?
If a vehicle is parked with its hazards on (free parking
lights) and the nearside is obscured, it looks like the vehicle
is signalling to pull out.
Is there any reason why indicators are also used as hazard
warning lights? Would it be better to have a distinct set
of lights for that purpose?

1. ~ no.
2. ~ not one that I can think of.
3. ~ for which purpose?
--
L\'escargot.
Either purpose, really, as long as it separates the two. Orange lights for signals, say... something else for hazards - like flashing reds maybe. *shrug*

Though, as hinted already. If people used hazards for their proper purpose it'd be ok. It's the people who use them to say "I know I've parked in a bus stop, but I'm just nipping into the post office and then I'll be gone" that cause me headaches, because that's where you get other vehicles and things obscuring one side.
Hazard Warning Lights - Cliff Pope
Maybe hazzard lights should be linked to a sound warning as well, like an intruder alarm? If it were a real hazzard, no one would mind - they would want to be warned of the vehicle's presence.
Equally, no one would turn it on if parking illegally, because it would immediately invite attention.
Hazard Warning Lights - Clanger
You aren't alone; I'm confused too by random use when parking. And I wish recovery vehicle operators and other who tow were bright enough not to use hazards on the towed or towing vehicles. How does one work out which way the outfit is going at junctions?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Hazard Warning Lights - netlang
I was told off by a road traffic policeman when I approached a nasty accident on the M4 and used my hazard warning lights to warn drivers behind me of the hazard. I was TOLD by the policeman that hazard warning lights are not to be used on a vehicle that is moving.
Hazard Warning Lights - Hugo {P}
"I was TOLD by the policeman that hazard warning lights are not to be used on a vehicle that is moving"

Yet, I've done this a few times, coming up to a traffic jam or accident etc. And you know what? The traffic coming up behind me slows down drastically, so it must be a good idea!

Maybe the highway code needs revisiting in this area...
Hazard Warning Lights - Bromptonaut
Rozzer was wrong, though I think rules have changed within the last five years so maybe he was right at the time.

The Highway Code says:-

You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights whilst driving unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed

Why hazards or obstructions ahead occur only on motorways and unrestricted dual carriageways is a mystery.
Hazard Warning Lights - netlang
Thats good news.

It was about 5 years ago and he was a right misery guts
Hazard Warning Lights - Hamsafar
Hazzards would be better if they flashed in ZIG-ZAG, WIG-WAM, FLIP-FLOP cycling patterns like the grille LED strobes on emergency vehicles. This would make them stand out more, and not be confused with indicators. with incresing numbers of cars using LEDs in the clusters this effect would be enhanced further
Perhaps if the indicators alternated with the brake lights or something. They'd be more noticable and you could differentiate them from turn signals.
Hazard Warning Lights - mare
Perhaps if the indicators alternated with the brake lights or something.
They'd be more noticable and you could differentiate them from turn
signals.

Not a bad idea that. Especially if they're LED's
Hazard Warning Lights - IanJohnson
To link this to another thread don't some cars with an earth fault to this already?