lexus or bmw - kevls
are bmw over engineered to much they seem to brag about ther engines and there build quality i think lexus are better cars better built and the engines are bullet proof i heard that they use mineral oil in some of there cars is vvti better than bmws valvetronic or both just as good anyone everdriven a lexus or owned one are they superb to drive
lexus or bmw - Navara Van man
Volvo or merc for me anyday

Paul
lexus or bmw - Adam {P}
Lexus.

Completely overlooked them until I sat in my prospective one; a 10 year old GS300.

The thing oozed style and felt so solid. Had over 150k on the clock and still felt brand new.

Then it...kinda....blew up it's gearbox. But I take it you wouldn't be looking at such old and leggy examples?

Like I said - they re completely overlooked usually but I strongly advise you to go and drive one.

Very good cars.
lexus or bmw - Pugugly {P}
One of the guys in the Office runs one now - I am (quietly) impressed with it, I like my Beemers and find it hard to move away. One issue is that the nearest Lexus dealer is 40 miles away...whilst accpeting the received/perceived wisdom that they are unlikely to break, it'll still need taking there for its servicing needs.
lexus or bmw - kevls
thanks adam i drove a lexus is200 about a year ago had it for a whole weekend what a car six speed 2 litre vvti pure class like the new one got a brochure on it will book a test drive greatto drive engine was smooth as silk beaitiful build quality in every way infact better than bmw
lexus or bmw - Dave N
Kevls, I thought your mates Skoda was the best thing since sliced bread, and you were against badge snobbery, so why look at a Lexus, it's a Toyota underneath.
lexus or bmw - kevls
oki agreewith you dave but i like allytpes ofcars i know ther toyota underneath but still asuperb car they have character and the enginesare just one of the best ever
lexus or bmw - MichaelR
Having just completed nearly 500 miles in a BMW 5 Series I must say in order for the equivilent Lexus to be a better car it would have to be complete perfection in every possible way.
lexus or bmw - Adam {P}
Trust me Mike - drive one.

That being said, I'd like a 5 series myself. Simply because the Mk 1 GS will be too old when I come to change, the MK 2 GS doesn't look nice and the Mk 3 GS will be way out of my price range!

lexus or bmw - Dipstick
I'm a Lexus GS driver.

The Lex and a BMW are different animals, and it depends rather on which variant you get of course. A lot of the appeal of a Lexus for me is the rarity on the road - lots of IS models, a few GS models, very few LS models. BMWs are everywhere of course.

As to driving experience, I know which I prefer, but there's no doubt that a well set up BMW will probably hold the road better than my SE variant in the corners and give you more of a rewarding drive. There is a Lexus Sport variant of course.

The Lexus cars in GS and LS form are understated in power delivery so you don't get that real wow factor from them generally (although foot to the floor on a GS430 leaves you with a grin). The IS models are generally acknowledged to be a bit underpowered in 2 litre form - the 3 litre is way better.

However, if you cruise along at 60 to 90 in a Lex it's smashing, frankly. Quiet, smooth as anything; just glorious. I love it.

But yes, the only way you'll know is to drive your models of choice.

As to "being Toyotas" that's a bit unfair - they are indeed Toyota, but are built in different plants to wholly different standards. A Lexus is very much more than an Avensis with a badge on it.
lexus or bmw - jigsaw
lexus or bmw - barchettaman
Kevls, I´ve always felt that punctuation is just a waste of time, something that kind of ´gets in the way´ of comprehension. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Barchettaman
lexus or bmw - Pugugly {P}
Jigsaw,

Are you left or right handed ? I am left handed and find the I Drive ot be OK. When you think about it for a LHD car a right handed driver would be using the dominant hand. Just a pet theory.
lexus or bmw - Roly93
thanks adam i drove a lexus is200 about a year ago
had it for a whole weekend what a car six speed
2 litre vvti pure class like the new one got a
brochure on it will book a test drive greatto drive engine
was smooth as silk beaitiful build quality in every way infact
better than bmw

Didn't you find the IS200 rather guttless though at all but very high revs ? With rather poor fuel consumption also.
lexus or bmw - spikeyhead {p}
I've driven a GS430.

It's quick, comfortable but frankly you get more driver feedback sitting in an armchair playing on a playstation.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
lexus or bmw - nutty_nissan
Apart from the IS range, Lexus have designed the other models around the needs of all the passengers (i.e. isolating the occupants from the external environment)

Contrast this to BMW, who focus on the driver's needs first and foremost, i.e. the need to hear and feel the car on the road surface

Added to this fact, is that the GS, LS, RX and SC models were typically designed with the American market in mind. Hence, the slushboxes and lazy engines with "softer" suspensions than their German rivals.

Lexus sales in the UK are peanuts compared to the North American market, and practically nil on the continent. So why should they bother designing cars which are dynamically great, when their biggest market doesn't see handling dynamics as a top priority?

From a buying used perspective, the huge options list on BMWs means you find varying spec cars with wildly varying prices. At least with a Lexus, you know every used car will have the same spec. Makes hunting for a used car much simpler.

Oh, I have a GS300 Sport!
lexus or bmw - Big Bad Dave
I?m sure I read that Lexus only sold about seventeen or so LS430s in the UK last year. I love the LS400, but then I?m not interested in driving dynamics, I prefer to waft than to drive. Having said that though, I?d have an A8 before any of them.
lexus or bmw - Stuartli
>>are bmw over engineered to much they seem to brag about ther engines and there build quality i think lexus are better cars better built and the engines are bullet proof>>

Whilst you are still presumably dreaming of the day you will be able/allowed to drive around on four wheels, perhaps you should compare your statement above with the following quote from another of your thread postings...:-)

"well i totally agree with you lexus are asuperb car well engineered. build quality second to none infact i think it just as good asd mercedes benz or bmw."

Even more puzzling in the first quote is the query as to whether BMWs are over engineered and then pointing out that a Lexus is "better built"...:-))

Over engineered over engineering?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by