Golf IV 1.6 1998 engine noise on start up - Sanjeev
Wondering if anyone can advise.
More often than not, I'm getting a harsh 'whirring' noise for approx 1 - 2 seconds when starting my 1998 (and just-out-of-warranty, of course) Golf 1.6 (8v, 100 BHP) first thing. It sounds like the starter motor not disengaging quickly enough, but the noise can not be reproduced once the car has been driven.
Our drive is on a slight incline and the car was recently serviced by a national (i.e. non-VW) chain of garages. I mention this, just in case someone is aware that it could be something to do with the oil or oil pump. I read sometime ago that HJ gave advice on VW oil filters (non-return valve, whatever that is?).
Thanks
Re: Golf IV 1.6 1998 engine noise on start up - Honest John
If you fit a non VAG filter that does not have a non return valve, almost all the oil lubricating the camshaft and valve springs will drain back to the sump. A non return valve keeps at least some of the oil up in the head where you need it when you start the engine.

HJ
Re: Golf IV 1.6 1998 engine noise on start up - Sanjeev
HJ - thanks. Do you think the symptom I'm describing could be due to such a non VAG filter, then?
Re: Golf IV 1.6 1998 engine noise on start up - boost
Well it's easily checked - stick your head under the bonnet..
Worth ruling it out and/or fitting a genuine one anyway.
Re: Golf IV 1.6 1998 engine noise on start up - El Dingo (Martin)
Hi Sanjeev,

My 1.8 Golf (E plate) engine rattled on start up, especially when the weather was cold. The cause was the hydraulic tappet on cylinder no. 1, which wore out quicker than the others (but quite why I'm not sure). When the oil had got pumped up to the tappets, the noise went away (after 10 to 20 seconds).

It started at 70,000 miles and carried on to 125,000 miles.
I never bothered to get it fixed.

This *might* be your problem. Is the 'speed' of the noise related to the engine revs? Does the noise go away faster if the engine is revved on start up (not that I'd do this regularly)?

Martin.
Re: Golf IV 1.6 1998 engine noise on start up - Richard Hall
My ex girlfriend's Mk3 Golf (1600, 40K, full VAG service history) rattles on startup for about five seconds while the hydraulic tappets pump up. Curiously, my old 1986 Mk2 Golf (basically the same engine, 90K, big chunks missing from the service history) didn't.