Alternator or Battery? mk3 Golf - car dummy
Hi

I've got a mark 3, 1.4 Golf and i bought a new battery for it this time last year. It's now having problems starting, it turnsover fine but just doesn't start up straight away (this problem occured only after I had a gear box change roughly a months ago).

Is it a Battery or an Alternator problem? I have a feeling it is the latter, but can anyone help me with this minor dilenma?

Thanks!
Alternator or Battery? - Dave N
If it turns over ok, then it's neither the battery, alternator or starter motor.

Look to the ignition side of things.
Alternator or Battery? mk3 Golf - dieselnut
Check the battery earth lead. Sometimes bolted to the gearbox & perhaps has been left loose. Just a thought.
Alternator or Battery? mk3 Golf - sierraman
If it is spinning fast enough try giving the plugs a clean,or treat it to some new ones if they look worn.
Alternator or Battery? mk3 Golf - Roly93
Does sound like an earth problem. Some cars have a separate earth for the ignition which can cause this sort of problem. The old Opel Manta's were notorious for a bad ignition earth which was bolted to the inner wing and got corroded etc.
I dont know if this is the case with the Golf, but I would start by checking and/or cleaning all of the body earths you can see in and around the engine bay.
Alternator or Battery? mk3 Golf - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
In addition to checking the earth strap from battery-to-chassis-to-gearbox. Check the earth strap between head and ignition coil. Finally check no wires have been trapped between gearbox and engine. Failed coolant temp sensor can cause difficulty starting when outside temperature falls.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!